Ladies and Gentleman, Dreams do come true

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
IMG_20230719_131416.jpg

For the past 2 years I have lived through the frustration of not knowing the true hardness of my rubbers. I have been confused and infuriated by companies using inconsistent and unreliable measurements. But now I finally got my own shore O durometer and can finally find out the truth.

I will be measuring and posting some hardnesses. Let me know if you want to know about any specific rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Nice mate, if you don't mind Loki arthur china would be great to know about
Can't do Arthur China yet because I haven't opened the seal. But eventually will get to it.

On another note, I actually don't know how to use the Durometer. How hard am I supposed to push on it? The harder I push, the harder it reads.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
So I'm just trying out the durometer on an old sheet of Tenergy 05. If I firmly press with medium pressure, it reads 45. If I push hard, it reads about 47. and if I put all my strength into it, it hits 50.
Maybe that's why Rakza XX is listed as 47-52d, because Yasaka also doesn't know how hard to push.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
But for the sake of consistency, I think I have found a technique that works. If I just use 1 finger to push down as hard as I can on the T05, it reads about 45-46d. This sounds like a reasonable "standard" for measurement.

I measured a old sheet of boosted Triple Double, and it is 53d. That makes sense as the sponge was softened from booster.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
But for the sake of consistency, I think I have found a technique that works. If I just use 1 finger to push down as hard as I can on the T05, it reads about 45-46d. This sounds like a reasonable "standard" for measurement.

I measured a old sheet of boosted Triple Double, and it is 53d. That makes sense as the sponge was softened from booster.
Actually nvm, I'm not sure if this works. I did the 1 finger push on 40d Battle 2 and 40d H3. Both only measured 50d, my finger couldn't push down hard enough on them. Are those rubbers just very soft? or its not working because I'm not pushing hard enough

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

Mine came with an instruction sheet showing the proper technique.

You're supposed to hold the durometer with both hands, with the dial facing towards you. Use only your thumbs and you pointer fingers. The pointer fingers are cradling the bottom of the durometer and your thumbs are on top of the flat round part on top pressing down.

I wish I could take a picture of the instructions or of me using the durometer, but both of those are in Vietnam right now and I'm not there.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Mine came with an instruction sheet showing the proper technique.

You're supposed to hold the durometer with both hands, with the dial facing towards you. Use only your thumbs and you pointer fingers. The pointer fingers are cradling the bottom of the durometer and your thumbs are on top of the flat round part on top pressing down.

I wish I could take a picture of the instructions or of me using the durometer, but both of those are in Vietnam right now and I'm not there.
ok, but how hard am I supposed to push. If I push hard, even the Tenergy 05 reads as 55d when I push with 2 thumbs like you said.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Actually nvm, I'm not sure if this works. I did the 1 finger push on 40d Battle 2 and 40d H3. Both only measured 50d, my finger couldn't push down hard enough on them. Are those rubbers just very soft? or its not working because I'm not pushing hard enough

Are you measuring from the topsheet or the sponge? You will get different measurements depending on which side you come from. My 39 Battle 2 Pro (orange sponge) is 50d from the topsheet but 51d from the sponge. Also, try the technique I mentioned. You don't have to press down hard with all your might, just start slowly and apply constant pressure. The dial hands will move slowly and once it stops moving that should be the hardness.

Measuring it this way has been very consistent for me where I can get within one degree of consistency every single time for the same rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Are you measuring from the topsheet or the sponge? You will get different measurements depending on which side you come from. My 39 Battle 2 Pro (orange sponge) is 50d from the topsheet but 51d from the sponge. Also, try the technique I mentioned. You don't have to press down hard with all your might, just start slowly and apply constant pressure. The dial hands will move slowly and once it stops moving that should be the hardness.

Measuring it this way has been very consistent for me where I can get within one degree of consistency every single time for the same rubber.
ok I got you, I'll try it your way.

Reactions: turbozed
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Hi, dear
Please take our sincere congratulations a lot. Be sure you to follow the proper testing scheme as described by ASTM 2240. Using a thicker rubber sample of 6 millimeters minimum is strongly required so as to avoid false results. Sandwich two rubber sheets together is the very reasonable solution.
Good luck and many happy findings.

Timer 8:45 onwards is the hints to note first of all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
A couple more measurements:
Jupiter 3 41d measured about 56-57d
Old Rxton 5 measured 55d
New "soft" Rxton 5 measured 51d
Bloom Power 47 measured 55d
I must've gotten a super soft Rxton 5. After 3 layers of baby oil, it went all the way down to 48d.

It's now pretty dead after the baby oil boosting wore off though. I can probably get another month or so with it I reboost, but I'm not motivated enough to try. I hope Loki fixes their consistency issues. Loki Rxton 3 Blue and Rxton 1 Plus are great for the price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
ok no, this is not working for me.

I measured AK47 red as 53, AK47 yellow as 53. Every single rubbers basically comes out to be about 53d when I push down with 2 thumbs.

That's bizarre. Are you coming from the topsheet or the sponge? What's the rubber resting on when you measure?

Also, try not pushing down with your thumbs as the main pressure, but use all 4 fingers with force downwards equally.

Edit: One more thing, I just noticed that your measuring pin looks a bit different than mine in your picture. Can you take a better picture of it? My meausuring pin is like a ballpoint pen tip, exactly like the model that igor posted in the video above.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Ok, I think I found a better way. Instead of 2 hands, I just use 1 hand and push down very slowly so as to remove any momentum. This method seems to give some differentiation in reading.

Palio HK1997 came out quite soft at 43-44. Palio AK47 Red is still quite hard around 51-52.
Yinhe Apollo 5 39d came out around 53

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
That's bizarre. Are you coming from the topsheet or the sponge? What's the rubber resting on when you measure?

Also, try not pushing down with your thumbs as the main pressure, but use all 4 fingers with force downwards equally.
Measuring from sponge. Rubber is just on my wooden desk.