Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Where is your source? Some is OK. Some is very wrong. I can punch holes in this many ways.

I will start with this
Longer pips can produce more spin,
Yes, usually.
mostly back spin & side spin via spin amplification only
The LPs don't know if the incoming ball has back spin, side spin or top spin. You do .... maybe.
(long pips cannot generate lot of spin on its own). Interestingly, the longer the pips, lesser the top spin produced.
It isn't a matter of side spin, back spin or top spin.
The problem is that LPs cannot change an incoming top spin to an outgoing top spin because there isn't enough friction or grip. However, LPs can roll an incoming back spin and return an out going top spin easily. It is easier to attack back spin serves because you use their back spin as your top spin.
Normally I just punch incoming back spin to return a top spin. I punch through the ball trying not to bend the pips because that will reduce the out going back spin and make the rubber react to the incoming spin more. Likewise, trying to put back spin on an incoming back spin usually results in a dead ball that is easily attacked if not low.

I agree that LPs don't generate a lot of spin on their own nor can they change the rotational direction of spin easily if at all.

Shall I go on?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Where is your source?
30 years of playing & experimenting & testing long pips at a level you never were & never will be
Broken ball made a comment on my statement "Longer pips can produce more spin, mostly back spin & side spin via spin amplification only (long pips cannot generate lot of spin on its own). Interestingly, the longer the pips, lesser the top spin produced."
You changed it to just "Longer pips can produce more spin" : leaving out the rest of the sentence
The LPs don't know if the incoming ball has back spin, side spin or top spin. You do .... maybe.
Assuming this true , are you saying other types rubbers can ?
The problem is that LPs cannot change an incoming top spin to an outgoing top spin because there isn't enough friction or grip.
Where & when I ever said or remotely suggestedt that that the priimary resaon for the invention of long pips is to change incoming top spin into top spin ?

The problem is that LPs cannot change an incoming top spin to an outgoing top spin because there isn't enough friction or grip. However, LPs can roll an incoming back spin and return an out going top spin easily. It is easier to attack back spin serves because you use their back spin as your top spin.
Normally I just punch incoming back spin to return a top spin. I punch through the ball trying not to bend the pips because that will reduce the out going back spin and make the rubber react to the incoming spin more. Likewise, trying to put back spin on an incoming back spin usually results in a dead ball that is easily attacked if not low.
What does all this have to do with my describing pip design parameters. I can write a book about playing using & against pips , most of which you won't be able to comprehend mostly because you don't even know why long pips were invented for & for whom (hint :- it is not for blockers like you originally)

I agree that LPs don't generate a lot of spin on their own nor can they change the rotational direction of spin easily if at all.
Again you have no clue as to why long pips were invented in the first place & for whom

Shall I go on?
Sure .
Feel free to continue to display your ignorance of how pips work.

This thread is total bogus.
It is just a collection of postings by various posters who responded to James Z's postings but with James Z's postings removed. both as OP (Original poster) or as responding to other posters

I play with LPs but most say I play best with double inverted.
39 years means nothing if you don't learn from it.
I try to mimic the PushBlocker AKA Olvier Mader 2010 FL state champ except I have a better FH.
I can loop but I usually don't with my blocking paddle. My blocking paddle is used to block low and short and at angles. My FH is used to "swat' high returns.
My opponent has problems adjusting to push block LP OX.
I am playing with one of my two DR Neubaurer Firewall+ with GD Talon 0X on the BH. I don't remember what I had on the FH. It was probably a H3 Neo or similar.

It should be obvious that no rubbers KNOW anything about the impact. They just react. To suggest otherwise shows your ignorance.

You didn't but you implied that LPs can't hit top spin balls. They can if the incoming ball has back spin.. This usually occurs against serves from player that aren't familiar playing against LP 0X push blockers.

Go write a book. See if anyone will buy it. I have been asked buy a real publisher to write a book about control theory and servo hydraulic control. We estimated the book would cost about $200 and it wouldn't sell enough to be worth the effort.
Who cares about who invented LPs and for whom. We know what types of people use LP Ox.

There is nothing magical or mystical about LPs. They are just different.
Again, I have been internationally recognized as a master of control theory, servo hydraulic control, testing etc.
AND YOU?
I was interviewed by the IEEE.org. I was on a sci.engr.control news group at the time where I stuck a finger in the eye of many of the forum members. As it turned out the VP of IEEE.org challenged my calculations which I provided and they were determined to be correct and all the other forum members were just using trial and error. The VP of IEEE.org at that time was Jerry Avins. He died a few years back but this can be verified.
We both had interests in the Forth programming language but at that time Forth was becoming obsolete.
You see I am not a self proclaimed person.

NOW WTF is Jamesz? Who cares about what you write? Have you written 20 years of engineering articles like I have? I have written articles of NASA Techbriefs. I have done work for the FAA and the US department of energy. Now WTFRU?
I know, yet another TT nobody that thinks they know how their small little world of TT works.
<Yawn>
I thought this was table tennis forum.
Not an IEEE symposium on motion control

Can you explain the difference between high aspect ratio super long pips and the type of long pips that are currently allowed by the governing bodies of table tennis?

I am changing the name of high aspect ratio super long pips to just super pips because Aspect Ratio is only one of four pip design parameters that defines these types of pips
The type of long pips you are referring as allowed by the ITTF are the long pips listed on ITTF LARC & these are the dysfunctional & totally useless rubbers TOTALLY useless in the current 40+ plastic ball ONLY era.
To start with I will be very brief & only talk in terms the 4 most important pip design parameters . These 4 are the parameter that are important but here are like 18 pip design parameters You can read about them at TTD webpage below
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/pip-design-parameters.31567/ .

Pip Length
Any pips in ITTF LARC cannot exceed 2.0 mm. Always been 2.0 mm despite arrival of 40 mm ball
Most high aspect ratio super long pips are around 3 mm which is about the correct height for a fair & level playing field
Keeping all other pip design parameters the same, lower the pip length lower the back spin produced especially for a larger 40- celluloid ball & then the even worse 40+ plastic ball

Pip Aspect Ratio
The maximum allowed limit for ITTF LARC long pips was 1.3 before 1999 . Was reduced to 1.1 after 1998 with the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre
Some high aspect ratio super long pips ARs are around 1.5 Again this is the correct value for a fair & level playing field in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era
BTW AR is defined as pip height (aka length) divided by pip diameter (aka width)
Keeping all other pip design parameters the same, lower the AR, lower the backspin

Pip Distribution Density (PDD)
The maximum allowed limit for ITTF LARC long pips was 50 pips per sq.cm before 2004 and was reduced to 30 pips per sq.cm after 2003 $0% drop)
Lower the PDD lower the backspin (mostly back spin but also lowered top spin but ITTF used Liu Guoliang as alleged scapegoat to spread disinformation. Liu Guoliang's career was all over by then already, in fact since lower the PDD higher the speed one would tend to think LGL would have wanted a faster less spinny pips for his forehand since he twiddled at strategic junctures of a match to loop on his forehand using spinny inverted)
High Aspect ratio super long pips with high PDD needed by away from the table choppers are still not available. Most seem to focus on low PDD to increase deception as most close to the table blockers seem to ask for
Pip Friction
The minimum allowed limit for ITTF LARC long pips was increased in 2008 with the Frictionless Pips Ban Regulation
Pip friction refers to the friction of the pips at the top of the pips as well on the sides.
The pip top & side can be very rough with tiny pips on top of a pip or can be smooth & glassy & slick
When the pips are smooth , they are called frictionless pips
When the pips are rough they (should be) called) frictionful pips
The biggest myth in tabletennis is that frictionless pips provide lots of (back) spin.
The truth is exact opposite
Only firctionful pips give more (back) spin . For example Feint Long (Classic or 2 or 3) all have rough pip tops & they give the most back spin.
Somehow most players believ that Tibhar Dtec gives lots of backspin. This is only partially true because the pip top of Dtec is not as rough as Feint Long. But Dtec while being quite deceptive can also give more backspin spin because one o rmany of the many many other pips design parameters have been modified to achieve this backspin but not due to friction of the pip tops.
For instance TSP Curl P1 , Victas P1v & Tibhar Dtec all can produce significant backspin but it lot more due to pip flexibility and not pip friction a is the case with Feint Long
For instance ITTF used the lame excuse for passing the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Regulation Massacre. They said that TSP P1 Curl had sudden "kink" (I am using the exact word they used) when pips collapsed randomly & this was enhanced by billions of players worldwide also microwaving their TSP P1 Curl ( Fact was that there were only a handful in Europe but all the pro & top choppers were using Feint Long Classic NOT because it was deceptive but because it was the the most controllable (opposite of deception) and was also gave most back spin because of rough pip tops ............the pip tops of P1 Curl & Dtec are not as rough as Feint Long. Also P1 Curl & Dtec are more felible than Feint Long)
Lower the friction, more the deception & lower the backspin as in frictionless long pips like Tibhar Dtec OX
Keep in mind that the GOAT of all of table tennis Joo Sae Hyuk used Feint Long 2 first but then he got desperate and kept trying TSP P1 Curl & Tinhar Dtec
Joo Sae Hyuk is still the GOAT despite this because he still got tons of back spin using P1 Curl & Dtec but that does not mean Dtec & Feint Long can create more back spin than Feint long (Of course deception is totally unimportant at pro levels let along at the top 10 level)
Higher the friction lesser the deception & higher the backspin but the myth is that frictionless pips give more backspin , which is totally ridiculous & false . Just compare Butterfly Feint Long 3 & Tibhar Dtec to understand this.

Almost all Dr.Neubauer long pips were banned due to this 2008 regulation

BTW both the top of pips and side of a pips can be made frictionless or only the side or only the pip top

Though most high aspect ratio super long pips are more frictionless than allowed by ITTF, no really glassy (frictionless) high aspect ratio super long pips are still available as before 1999 preferred by close to the table blockers .

High friction high aspect ratio super long pips that are needed by away from the table choppers are not currently available.
============================

In summary almost all low length low PDD low Aspect ratio so called long pips are just social rubbers and are functionally piece of garbage in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era

Exceptions are few medium pips rubbers on ITTF LARC that are good for all round play or for those getting started with long pips to transition.

Rubbers like Tibhar Dtec Grass or Butterfly Feint Long 3, Victas Curl P1R etc are pure garbage in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era. In all fairness Fient Long Classic was one of the best rubbers in history as preferred by almost all choppers before ITTF infinite wisdom banned it with the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre Regulation

Table Tennis promoter Susan Sarandon is the co-founder of Spin Clubs that originated in New York City
She is involved in a catfight with Debra Messing, another famous actress

The fight is about who hates Trump more.

I would suggest a 7 game match in tabletennis in Las Vegas (like a boxing match) to decide the winner, just before the November 2024 election

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
30 years of playing & experimenting & testing long pips at a level you never were & never will be
I play with LPs but most say I play best with double inverted.
39 years means nothing if you don't learn from it.
I try to mimic the PushBlocker AKA Olvier Mader 2010 FL state champ except I have a better FH.
I can loop but I usually don't with my blocking paddle. My blocking paddle is used to block low and short and at angles. My FH is used to "swat' high returns.
My opponent has problems adjusting to push block LP OX.
I am playing with one of my two DR Neubaurer Firewall+ with GD Talon 0X on the BH. I don't remember what I had on the FH. It was probably a H3 Neo or similar.

Assuming this true , are you saying other types rubbers can ?
It should be obvious that no rubbers KNOW anything about the impact. They just react. To suggest otherwise shows your ignorance.

Where & when I ever said or remotely suggestedt that that the priimary resaon for the invention of long pips is to change incoming top spin into top spin ?
You didn't but you implied that LPs can't hit top spin balls. They can if the incoming ball has back spin.. This usually occurs against serves from player that aren't familiar playing against LP 0X push blockers.

What does all this have to do with my describing pip design parameters. I can write a book about playing using & against pips , most of which you won't be able to comprehend mostly because you don't even know why long pips were invented for & for whom (hint :- it is not for blockers like you originally)
Go write a book. See if anyone will buy it. I have been asked buy a real publisher to write a book about control theory and servo hydraulic control. We estimated the book would cost about $200 and it wouldn't sell enough to be worth the effort.
Who cares about who invented LPs and for whom. We know what types of people use LP Ox.

Sure .
Feel free to continue to display your ignorance of how pips work.
There is nothing magical or mystical about LPs. They are just different.
Again, I have been internationally recognized as a master of control theory, servo hydraulic control, testing etc.
AND YOU?
I was interviewed by the IEEE.org. I was on a sci.engr.control news group at the time where I stuck a finger in the eye of many of the forum members. As it turned out the VP of IEEE.org challenged my calculations which I provided and they were determined to be correct and all the other forum members were just using trial and error. The VP of IEEE.org at that time was Jerry Avins. He died a few years back but this can be verified.
We both had interests in the Forth programming language but at that time Forth was becoming obsolete.
You see I am not a self proclaimed person.

NOW WTF is Jamesz? Who cares about what you write? Have you written 20 years of engineering articles like I have? I have written articles of NASA Techbriefs. I have done work for the FAA and the US department of energy. Now WTFRU?
I know, yet another TT nobody that thinks they know how their small little world of TT works.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I’ve been playing with penhold grip for a while now and I find it comfortable and fun (I have shakehand experience too) but (although I’m getting decent at backhand returns) the backhand is kind of a weak point and I’ve been told to switch to shakehand for a better backhand. My forehand is noticeably better on penhold but backhand is better on shakehand. I’ve been trying to find unique grips online but no luck. Is penhold viable and what should I do?
Umm pretty interesting because I made a reply to OP but that was deleted but I have no idea how & why I offended the ITTF with my reply LOL.
I know moderators are mving some of my posts to a graveyard thread where only posts not offending ITTF are transferred to . Some of my other posts that are offending to ITTF are totally removed but replies to my posts trashing me are left in that thread creating lots of orphaned confusing posts.

Anyway I still don't understand who I offended by saying ONLY good things about penhold grip LOL

Oh Well

Nice strategy by forum moderators though.

Stop your bull strawmen arguments. Having imagined dialogues with opinions no one is stating anywhere just to force your opinion on the Internet is tiring to read.

In future, please just list what you are annoyed about in clear, short sentences.
I replied to your post but that was deleted.
I am sure most readers are wondering what the hell you SofaChamp are even responding to.
Anyway I will address my deleted reply some other time.
But your post is mostly nonmsense,
Though I agree with the last part of it.
I should be using short sentences.
I will keep that in mind for the future
Thanks

Looking for Magic 77 on steroids (from a manufacturer)
To be very clear when I use the word “steroid” I don’t mean it literally but I use it just metaphorically. I am neither promoting steroids not treating of pips

I am looking for chopping type long pips rubbers that will work halfway decent in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era from long pips makers in China , Indonesia , Korea, Germany etc
Currently I am using a Chinese rubber called Magic 77 from China.
Magic 77 seems to be the only high aspect ratio super long pips rubber with halfway decent Looper Torture Index.
Even though this is the absolute best long pips I have EVER used
, there are a few problems with this rubber for away from the table chopping regarding the ability to produce at least somewhat decent enough back spin for the 40+ plastic ball era (even though the back spin & looper torture index is still far far superior to any crappy useless long pips on the ITTF LARC)

Problem 1 :- The pip tops are not rough enough for maximizing backspin
Problem 2 :- The pips are not flexible enough for maximizing backspin
Problem 3:- The material of the pips does not seem to compatible enough to maximize backspin . the material should be somewhat like P1 Curl or many Dr,Neubauer rubbers
Problem 4 :- The pip distribution density (less than ITTF allowed max 30 pips / sq.cm) is utterly useless for the plastic ball era. The pip density must be close to the previous ITTF allowed max of max 50 pips / sq.cm to maximize backspin
Problem 5 :- The base of the top sheet (on which the pips sit on) seems to be too thick. It would be nice to have a thin base like with useless ITTF LARC pips like P1 Curl & few others so that they would be the most lethal in OX version

I think High Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips are currently available from Indonesia & China. I could not find any others from China. (Avalox Mo & Globe Mo wang 3 are very good close to the table blocking type High Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips & I would highly recommend them but I looking for Magic 77 on steroids for chopping that meets at least a few more of above 5 requirements so that I can at least barely survive in the 40+ plastic ball era) .

I am not looking for treated pips such as those made by soaking ITTF LARC pips in chemicals like kerosine. I also do not recommend these because the pips break in like 16 minutes. Also using treated pips is just as sleazy as using illegal speed glues or illegal boosters, which ITTF has defined as unhealthy & cannot be used per Rule 2.4.7. Another big problem is that there are about 300 booster & speed-glue cheats for every pips treat cheat but since the 300 booster cheats are as loud in complaining to ITTF, which is also controlled by spooster supremacists, all ITTF hears is that & acts accordingly passing one rule / regulation change after another
If you know of any such rubbers from Indonesia please let me know. Of if you know of any manufacturer in China or Indonesia that is willing to make a test batch I am willing to buy.

BTW if you are wondering what qualifies as High Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips, below are minimum requirements
1. The Aspect Ratio(AR) must be at least 1.5 ( Current ITTF Max is 1.1 and before the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre the max AR allowed by ITTF was 1.3
2. The length of the pips must be at least 2.5 mm (Current ITTF max is 2 mm)
3. The PDD (pips distribution density) must be much higher than the current ITTF max of 30 pips / sq.cm (preferably approach 50 pips per sq.cm which was the max allowed before the pre 2004 Pip Density Reduction Regulation reduced it to 30)
4. Pip Friction must not be low, meaning teh top & sides of the pips must be rough. the pips must not be glassy & smooth either on the sides or on top. There are plenty of high aspect ratio super long pips already from Indonesia (I have no issue with that) but I am looking for a chopping type super pips
5. Pip flexibility must be high to be able to maximize back-spin but not too high for the pips to be uncontrollable as in the case of TDP P1 Curl etc

Finally to be very clear when I use the word “steroid” I don’t mean it literally but I use it just metaphorically. I am neither promoting steroids not treating of pips

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Wuh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Looking for a Dr.Neubauer incarnation
Looking for a German manufacturer or distributor who is not a sissy and can do to the ITTF what Dr.Neubauer did to the ITTF after the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre

If you want to make a lot of money contaminating the German & European market by selling super pips that are functional in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY world (and not the ITTF LARC dysfunctional social pips) , this is your opportunity.

You can manufcature your own or you can have Chinese . Korean & Indonesian manufacturerers produce them for you & just rebrand them for the European market.

The market is wide open & ripe for the picking. ITTF has raped the pips players for more than 10 years now & stable super pips that won't fall apart after few hours (like many European social pips on ITTF LARC) are becoming increasingly available.
Lot of blocking type super pips are already available from Korea, China & Indonesia .
None are available for choppers but you have them made . Check for my posting called "Magic 77 on steroids" which describes design specifications for super pips needed for choppers .

Don't miss the boat before someone else grabs this wide open European market.

I said German distributor because generally Germans are little more open minded (though not enough like Chinese & Indonesians) than contries like England who are probaly stuck up abot ITTF rules . So it could be any European country. But of course I do not expect a country like Sweden or France to take a lead on this. LOL

What exactly are spoosters and spin glues

spooster = spin + booster

"Spin glue" is the correct phrase & not "speed glue"

Speed is increased significantly when a rubber is spoosted or spin glued
Control is also increased for a pro or advanced player.
But for lower levels there could be some or significant loss of control
However top spin is what is increased the most according to a respected University professor in Croatia who was also table tennis coach & author

Backspin can also increase but is the most difficult to control . the primary purpose of spoosting or spin gluing is not to increase backspin (there is no known top player that I know of, spoosted or spin glued to increase back spin)

A regular loop can involve both the arm & wrist.

But for a close to the table play, the chop is almost all wrist. I have tested trying to chop using a spooster or spin glued rubber but though there was more spin, the balls kept shooting off the far end as this requires perfect training & timing.

It would be even more harder to control a chop executed away from the table loop using a spoosted or spin glued spinverted rubber but would be interesting to try that using am anti rubber with dead top sheet & lively spoosted sponge

On his way to winning the 1995 World Championships Kong Ling Hui faced Peter Karlsson who is notoriously weak against the chop. . He chopped from at the table & the spin glued chops were so spinny that a frustrated Peter Karlsson kept dumping balls to the bottom of the net. Compare this to Peter Karlsson's rare win against a chopper when he beat chopper Wang Hao (not the looper Wang Hao who came later) in the 1993 World Team Finals.

Tibor Klampar , who supposedly invented spin glued (but some say Surbek did but I am not sure but does not matter) put an insane amount of spin even on his backhand loop with very little arm and seemingly all arm, his strokes were perfectly timed with perfect technique every time. (Waldner writes in his book that Klampar would have beaten him in the 1989 quarter finals that Waldner won for the first time, but Waldner was saved by his serves)as he says

Most sexual pip design parameter

Please note , I did not say “sexy”

In 1998 , ITTF stated that they passed the Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Regulation Massacre to control this single pip design parameter but had not reakky done that to this day (in the context of what they meant)

Who can tell me which parameter this is & exactly why (sort of) ? (Hint :- It is not as obvious or “Duh” as you may think)

And why is it “sexual” (not according to me but according to ITTF Equipment Committee Defintion in 1998) ?

And why is it not really controlled to this day ?

And what is the other pip design parameter that may also have some influence on this ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So has anybody actually done any studies on how speed glues increase the tangential and normal coefficients of restitution? The COR cannot go above 1. I bought a bottle of speed glue from colestt. I think I bought his last bottle. I didn't find that it helped my H3 Neo in any significant way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
So has anybody actually done any studies on how speed glues increase the tangential and normal coefficients of restitution? The COR cannot go above 1. I bought a bottle of speed glue from colestt. I think I bought his last bottle. I didn't find that it helped my H3 Neo in any significant way.
Because they will be?

You need to know & learn more....

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
1701871559245.pngNothing about speed glue, but some experimental data about COR and table tennis balls. Plenty of room for a higher COR without going above 1.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
If you look in that document on page 352, you will see a picture of a TT ball hitting the rubber. In the picture, the ball does not penetrate the rubber but instead dimples inwards so only a small part of the ball is actually in contact with the rubber. I can believe this with the old celluloid balls. It was easy to dimple them by squeezing the ball with a thumb. When the thumb is released, the dimple will spring back. Plastic balls are MUCH harder to dimple so does the plastic ball penetrate the rubber more. Does the plastic ball dimple at all? Months ago, a made a chart of how much the ball appears to compress as a function of applied force. My test was crude but so far it is the only similar test I have seen. However I couldn't determine if the ball ever dimpled. The ball was being compressed against rubber that is much harder than normal TT rubber.