ma long service SPIN

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I saw him using this serve in slow motion but when the opponent pushed it didn't pop up....so I think it is a side-backspin serve

He obviously can do a backspin serve with this same motion. I have seen him make top players hit it into the net. The one it the video does look like it is topspin though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It definitely is. I've studied the service for a long time as my former coach was very good at it. He brings the paddle upwards and to the left of the ball, but uses a diagonal stroke meaning he is putting left spin and top spin, but on the left side of the ball rather than the back side of the ball. With enough spin you are able to make the ball seem like underspin on the first bounce as the ball will rotate slightly downwards giving an underspin bounce, but on the second bounce the ball will rotate around it's z axis and bounce upwards making it a topspin and leftspin service. Just put your mouse on 0:18 and watch how the ball bounces then click it again and again. You'll start to see what's happening just from clicking it a few times.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
They are really good and it is just that they are not in top shape but they trained for like about a year in China when they were young. Their game does not look that awesome because they stay close to the table but when you get to play against them you tell how good they are...
and the video unfortunately was taken with a camera not a video camera that is the reason of the poor resolution...

They're quite decent players buddy. I can see that they have the fundamentals. Fitness is another story, that's why they lack a little in consistency..hehehe but still, it's great if they still feel that they can get something out of TT. They can play, no doubt about it. I think they serve long purposely so that they can get a rally going, and enjoy the game and sweat it out.

Thanx for sharing, I enjoy it.

This user has no status.
I am glad you enjoyed it Azlan and now that you mention it that must be the reason of the long service because they do not train anymore. What they do is coaching and they always advice short serves... I hope I can soon upload a video of myself to one of the threads that we have so that you guys can give me some feedback but I first want to get a better consistency with the Hurricane III. I just changed it and this is the first time I am trying this rubber. The third ball attacks are way easier with this rubber than the ones that I have previously tried but to keep a rally going I need some time to get the most out of this rubber. I need to tame it because with the proper strokes it is amazing and has lots of gears. Now for my backhand I just got a Tenergy 05 and it feels awesome. It is easy to do those flicks like the banana flick with or without sidespin.

This user has no status.
It definitely is. I've studied the service for a long time as my former coach was very good at it. He brings the paddle upwards and to the left of the ball, but uses a diagonal stroke meaning he is putting left spin and top spin, but on the left side of the ball rather than the back side of the ball. With enough spin you are able to make the ball seem like underspin on the first bounce as the ball will rotate slightly downwards giving an underspin bounce, but on the second bounce the ball will rotate around it's z axis and bounce upwards making it a topspin and leftspin service. Just put your mouse on 0:18 and watch how the ball bounces then click it again and again. You'll start to see what's happening just from clicking it a few times.
Well, I have clicked .18 many times already. What is your point there sir?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
serve is definetely sidespin . maybe 90 % sidespin with 10 % topspin (ball rotating around a diagonal near to the vertical Z axis) but that doesnt make any difference , if there is topspin or not to the ball because after 2nd bounce it turns into pure sidespin

the fact that the serve didnt pop up doesnt mean it is sideunderspin . the sidespin ma long puts on the ball isnt that much , besides pure sidespin services can be answered with sidechop answers quite effectively

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
If you see this video about ma long's serve, he used to give deceptive topspin motion for underspin serve and fake underspin motion for topspin serve