Ma Long & Timo Boll doubles pairs - WTTC 2015!

Do you think Ma Long and Timo Boll will win the 2015 World Doubles Championships?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Just saw this news!

I'm really excited to see it! China's Ma Long and Germany's Timo Boll have announced that they will compete at this years Qoros World Table Tennis Championships doubles event as a team! The event will be held in Suzhou, China on the 26th April and will conclude on the 3rd May 2015.

Do you guys think Ma Long and Timo Boll can win the World Championships in the doubles event like in the China Open 2013?

malongtimobolldoubles2015.jpg

By the ITTF.com

Timo Boll expressed, "I'm very much looking forward playing doubles with my friend Ma Long in Suzhou. At the China Open in Changchun 2 years ago, we already had a lot of fun playing side by side. At World Championships in China, just 1 year ahead of the Olympics, it is a big honor for me to play doubles with Ma Long. Our playing styles fit together well. I play with high, variable rotation and focus on placement, while he plays much more powerful with perfect and hard shots".

Ma Long expressed, "I am really happy to have the chance to pair up with Timo again, especially for such a prestigious event like the World Championships. We played doubles previously during the World Tour, which we won, so I'm really looking forward to playing with him in Suzhou this time round."

Here are Ma Long and Timo Boll back in China 2013 final against Dimitrij Ovtchrov and Yan An.

Other mixed association pairs to be on show at the 2015 World Championships are:

Marcos Freitas (POR) & Andrej Gacina (CRO) - Winners of the GAC Group 2015 World Tour Qatar Open
Tan Ruiwu (CRO) & Wang Zeng Yi (POL) - Winners of the 2013 European Championships
Liu Jia (AUT) & Iveta Vacenovska (CZE) - Play for the same club in Linz, Austria
Li Jie (NED) & Li Qian (POL)

The Chinese National Team released the official team for WTTC 2015:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...-CNT-released-the-official-team-for-WTTC-2015!
Men's single: Zhang Jike, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, Fang Bo, Yan An

Men's doubles: Zhang Jike/Xu Xin, Ma Long/ Timo Boll (GER), Fan Zhendong/Zhou Yu

Women's Single: Li Xiaoxia, Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen, Zhu Yuling, Wu Yang (replaced Chen Meng for injury), Mu Zi

Women's doubles: Li Xiaoxia/Ding NIng, Liu Shiwen/Zhu Yuling, Li Xiaodan/ Thai player

Mixed doubles: Xu Xin/ Yang Haeun(KOR), Emmanuel Lebesson(FRA)/ Chen Meng, Liang Jinkun/ Wu Yang.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This is absolute outstanding news for the table tennis world! So exciting! My two favourite players coming together for the biggest event of the year!

Yes. It's great! A Chinese media imitates that maybe more mixed association pairs will come out later. It's reported that Ma Long is training hard in speaking English. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
says So many upsets lately
says So many upsets lately
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I hope they can do well. Maybe the last chance that Timo can win a world championship (World Cup excluded).

Yes. It's great! A Chinese media imitates that maybe more mixed association pairs will come out later. It's reported that Ma Long is training hard in speaking English. :cool:

It is so great. I heard Ma Long speak very good English to Adam Bobrow recently. Great to see Europe and China combine like this. This is big news for sport in general let alone table tennis!

Go Ma Long and Timo Boll!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think if Xu Xin and Fan Zhendong team up they will be hard to beat. I wonder who Zhang Jike will pair with?

Wow the doubles event could be more exciting than the singles :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Obviously, this is a great news.
BUT, we discussed here about the new rules for WTTC 2015 and 2017.
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8013-Changes-will-coming-into-future-WTTC

And it was said that only 2 pairs will be send per country and about the international pairs, there was a problem for me, here is an old post from me :

"In additon, about the mixed nations doubles, if 2 countries join to make a pair, the pair is counted as one entry for both country.
So for example, if there are 2 pairs Timo Boll/Ma Long and Dima/Zhang Jike, both Germany and China won't be allowed to send another player in Doubles.

Who will want to make mixed nations pairs if you could send only 2 players instead of 4 in Doubles event ?
This is nonsense .
smiley5.gif
"

The new rules : http://www.ettu.org/2014/05/history-of-doubles-was-made-in-tokyo/
Maybe, I misunderstand something but if not, only 1 (if another international pair) or 2 (if chinese pair) another chinese player(s) will be able to participate in WTTC 2015 for men.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Obviously, this is a great news.
BUT, we discussed here about the new rules for WTTC 2015 and 2017.
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8013-Changes-will-coming-into-future-WTTC

And it was said that only 2 pairs will be send per country and about the international pairs, there was a problem for me, here is an old post from me :

"In additon, about the mixed nations doubles, if 2 countries join to make a pair, the pair is counted as one entry for both country.
So for example, if there are 2 pairs Timo Boll/Ma Long and Dima/Zhang Jike, both Germany and China won't be allowed to send another player in Doubles.

Who will want to make mixed nations pairs if you could send only 2 players instead of 4 in Doubles event ?
This is nonsense .
smiley5.gif
"

The new rules : http://www.ettu.org/2014/05/history-of-doubles-was-made-in-tokyo/
Maybe, I misunderstand something but if not, only 1 (if another international pair) or 2 (if chinese pair) another chinese player(s) will be able to participate in WTTC 2015 for men.

I think your understood it correctly! Because China is the host nation, one more pair can be sent. The official roster is available now. Check the other post of mine.

Reactions: John18
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Here is the full list of CNT players list for WTTC:

Men's Single : ZJK, ML, XX, FZD, FangBo, YanAn.
Women's single : LXX, DN, LSW, ZhuYuling, ChenMeng, Muzi
Men's double: ZJK/XX, ML/TB, FZD/ZY
Women's double: LXX/DN, LSW/ZYL, LiXiaoDan/Thai player (name not mentioned)
Mixed double: XX/Korean (name not mentioned), ChenMeng/French, LiangJinKun/WuYang

This user has no status.
Zhang Jike will be teamed up with XuXin while Fan ZhenDong with ZhouYu.

Source: http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2015-02-26/22237525942.shtml (in Chinese)

Yes. Fan Zhendong/ Zhou Yu was the doubles' champion of Chinese National Games in 2013 which is a huge title. Zhang Jike and Xu Xin will be a ideal doubles' pair with one left-handed and one right-handed, one penhold and one shakehand.

Woo, it's really hard to predict the winner!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
I think your understood it correctly! Because China is the host nation, one more pair can be sent. The official roster is available now. Check the other post of mine.
Ok thanks ! I forgot about the fact that China is the host nation. Germany could only send 1 or 2 more players in men's doubles though.
Even though, I look forward to this WTTC. :)

This user has no status.
Ok thanks ! I forgot about the fact that China is the host nation. Germany could only send 1 or 2 more players in men's doubles though.
Even though, I look forward to this WTTC. :)

I guess only one more pair for Germany in men's doubles now. Is there any clue in French media that who will pair Chen Meng in the mixed doubles ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
I guess only one more pair for Germany in men's doubles now. Is there any clue in French media that who will pair Chen Meng in the mixed doubles ?
No, sorry. I haven't heard of this. The roster for WTTC isn't out yet (if I'm not mistaken). All I can say is there is the National Championships from tomorrow until Sunday.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
The others international pairs are out. It will be :

Xu Xin (CHN) / Yang Haeun (KOR)
Emmanuel Lebesson (FRA) / Chen Meng (CHN)
Li Xiaodan (CHN) / Nanthana Komwong (THA)
Georgina Pota (HUN) / Elizabeta Samara (ROU)

Last edited: