Matches from a good angle to learn from where pros use W968

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
well, pretty much most carbon blades that H3 users use other than W968 does fit into the description as I thought after reading the OP.

Since, adjustment to different blades is one thing, Technique is something else.
people tend to mix technique and adjustment.
To give an example, a 1 to 2 deg different in the H3 sponge would be adjustment. weight different in the same blade would be adjustment (weight different changes the sweet spot and arc of ball). So if I had a 6 or 8 gram different in W968, one will go over the net and one will go into the net with the same stroke - you don't even need a Viscaria in the mix to do that.

Ma Long and WCQ are very different too, then you get women's using W968 + H3 that are totally different too.
So having so much variables, I was very curious to see, why set on W968 only (yet alone almost no identical technique among W968 users are out there), and why not other popular pairing like Viscaria + H3.

anyways, I hope BB isn't reading, as he would challenge how a blade can absorb more energy and have more dwell time :p

I think any pro using H3 could fit into OP's enjoyment viewpoint.
If it is locked into WCQ and ML only, then here

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
@gordonluvsu I'm glad you took the time to clarify. I was skeptical, but open to the possibility that there are fundamental technique differences. That said, I'm inclined to agree more with @Tony's Table Tennis here. LJK/WCQ both transitioned from Viscaria to W968. Chen Meng went back and forth and was using W968 for a while and now uses a FZD SALC. To my eye, at least, their style and the way they play hasn't changed fundamentally. Here's an interesting case:

Sarah De Nutte is DHS sponsored and uses a W968 and H3 (as far as I can tell). How different is her technique from the average European woman?

Random tangent: I may be in the minority here but I think BB made some good points, and I'm arriving at the same conclusion re: what constitutes a "spinny" rubber.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
I dont want a big discussion about it but this is simply why I I said "W968".
First of all, I dont even have a W968, just simply a flexible looping blade that plays similarly enough to the Original.
And only chinese forehand rubbers.
And the only Pros that use a setup very closely to that are mostly the W968 users (chinese, some koreans).
I cant recall that there are any other H3 users with an inner carbon fiber blade that isnt a W968 in some way.
D09c or K3 + Inner ALC type stuff isnt close enough, imo.
Thats why W968, it narrows the pros down to what I want.
Instead of W968 I could also say any pros with a flexible looping blade and H3 on Forehand, but that simply describes all W968 users.
So its not about the super mystical holy blade from Ma Long ( which I dont even have), but about criteria that i mentioned.
If there was different Pros that use a setup that is close enough, I would include those as well, but there are none ( at least to my knowledge, would like to know if there was) .

And technique wise, Flexible W968 + H3 requires differences compared to direct and impactful Viscaria + H3.
For me, it is significant enough that I am looking for this specifically.
Obviously it plays a role in every shot, but most of them are negligible.
Its mostly about forehand and backhand loop, you could argue that a flip is some sort of backhand loop as well.
Is
Compared to most other setups, a loop with my described setup
can require you to:
- hit the ball more forward instead of upward
- generally always put more force and momentum into your shots
- Whip and Swing more
- stay more relaxed rather than stiff in your body
- accelerate for a longer duration because of more dwell time
And it also:
- absorbs more energy
- holds the ball longer, thus ball leaves your racket at a different timing
- creates a different feeling
- has a different force input/output ratio ( hard to explain )
- produces a different arc

goes for backhand and forehand loop.

TLDR:
- Pros that use W968 -> Pros that use chinese FH rubber with a flexible looping blade
- Technique with this setup is different compared to others
- I dont even have a W968 ( lol ), and im not praising it

Hope that helps!
Not interested in Drama, just looking to improve.
butterfly distributors are mad in the comments lol

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
I am watching but I am also not seeing, but maybe I dont know what to watch for.

I was thinking that we need some kind of 3d movement model to start comparing lets say MLs forehand loop and FZDs, but thats soooo much work, sooooooo many variables.

So lets just take a theoretical situation.

Your distance from the table is some perfectly comfortable X.(Number does not matter, it is perfect for you)
The ball is traveling towards you in some perfect speed for a forehand loop.
You have perfectly comfortable positioning and time for a complete movement.
Scenario A - blade is W968 , Scenario B - blade is Viscaria. Both weight the same, both have the same rubbers, H3 is forehand.

The question is, what theoretical micro adjustments would make the difference in a forehand loop A and B?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I am watching but I am also not seeing, but maybe I dont know what to watch for.

I was thinking that we need some kind of 3d movement model to start comparing lets say MLs forehand loop and FZDs, but thats soooo much work, sooooooo many variables.

So lets just take a theoretical situation.

Your distance from the table is some perfectly comfortable X.(Number does not matter, it is perfect for you)
The ball is traveling towards you in some perfect speed for a forehand loop.
You have perfectly comfortable positioning and time for a complete movement.
Scenario A - blade is W968 , Scenario B - blade is Viscaria. Both weight the same, both have the same rubbers, H3 is forehand.

The question is, what theoretical micro adjustments would make the difference in a forehand loop A and B?
I have both blades with the same rubbers on them. With the W968 you would swing a bit more forward, while with the Viscaria a bit more upward. My primary blade is the 968, so whenever I switch to the Viscaria I would loop into the net when I'm doing more powerful FH practices from mid distance and hit out of the table with harder BH counters near the table. My overall impression is that the curve is flatter with the Viscaria and more brushing is required to create the same curve on both sides.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have both blades with the same rubbers on them. With the W968 you would swing a bit more forward, while with the Viscaria a bit more upward. My primary blade is the 968, so whenever I switch to the Viscaria I would loop into the net when I'm doing more powerful FH practices from mid distance and hit out of the table with harder BH counters near the table. My overall impression is that the curve is flatter with the Viscaria and more brushing is required to create the same curve on both sides.
what are your weights?

says Feeling blue
says Feeling blue
Sep 2023
Here is a good one:

any translated subtitles lol?