Modern alternative to Samsonov Alpha

This user has no status.
Hello,

I would like to what recent blade are the most similar to the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha ? I really like it because it is very (very) easy to use and in the same time it is efficient, good in all aspects of the game. Unfortunatly, I don't like the design and the finish quality, I know you will sy to me that it is not important if the blade play well, but unfortunatly to me it is as I am a maniac, and if I can find something even better, meaning similar and with better finish, it will be nice.

If it can help , I already have :

- Septear lead : the blade is nice, but the handle is way to thin, what a pity because the blade play well.
- Septear feel inner : very good blade, but to much catapult for me.
- Septear (normal) : awesome feel but a bit to stiff and fast.
- S-7 : like the Septear, very good feel, very solid, but a bit to fast for me.
- Victas ZX gear in : awesome blade, very efficient and pleasure to play, but I need to develop my level a bit more, on the slow game it is a bit to fast for my actual level.

The Alpha is the blade that give me nice confidence, very maneuvrable, every thing seems more easy to do with it and I am more consistant. The speed / control ratio is very nice. I don't know why but it seems very forgiving, and my level is better with that one.

Thank you a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
The old Samsonov Alpha (with grey handle) has unique construction like mentioned above (as informed by ttgearlab). So is Tibhar Lebesson (with bigger head size and thinner blade). But the new Samsonov Alpha (blue handle and the SGS version) do not have the same ply arrangement like that anymore. Head size is bigger and the handle is more normal, which I actually don't like. I like the Lebesson's and old Alpha's longer than usual handle.

There are also conflicting info on the composition of the plies:
limba - mahogany - ayous - mahogany - limba, that was the info often stated.

But in one of the post (I forget which forum), a guy said that representative of Tibhar said that the composition is limba - koto - ayous - koto - limba.

Either composition make sense because it has that distinct hardness behind the soft limba outerply.

Performance wise, I will consider that it is only ALL+ blade for plastic ball. If I play close to the table, it is fine. But for mid distance and far away distance, you need to use lots of energy to make the speed respectable. On the other hand, you can use many high tech tensor rubbers and the blade is still controllable.

Now, what to get to replace that Samsonov Alpha?

In the Tibhar line of products, I prefer Samsonov Force Pro (blue handle) instead of Stratus Powerwood to replace Alpha. But it is in the aspects of speed, control and handle shape. Feeling wise, they are different from Alpha.

Even for old Alpha feeling, I think that Lebesson is closer to it compared to new Alpha.

I do not have Septear, but if I remember correctly, the feeling is very different, because Septear has 7-ply all hinoki plies. It is rather stiff but soft, and not that fast.

This user has no status.
Thank you a lot, exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I can add that the only Alpha I know is the blue one, so the new.

Yes you right, the Septear (normal one) is very very stiff, no flex at all (think playing with stiff metal 😁 ), but in the same time, it is very soft. The feel is awsome, one of the best I tried , unfortunately I need flex to have confidence.

I already thoughted about the SSPW, but I want to avoid head heavy blade, because for me maneuvrability is a very important point. I guess the SSPW should be like the Latika (maybe because of bigger head), and while I like the feel, I don't like the balance.

I also thoughted about the force pro (I thinck it is better looking and better finish than the blue Alpha), which I haven't test, but I have to concern about it : is it not to fast ? ANd my second concern is about flexibility, because it is a 7 ply I wonder if it is flexible enough. For exemple, My S-7 is a very good blade, very "solid" at impact, but for me it is not flexible enough, while it is awsome for blocking, I strugle for topsin and to open backspin, more than with a 5 ply or with my ZX.

About the ALpha (blue one so), I agree that it is stiff for a 5 ply, and soft in the same time, but as it is very well balanced I get a very good maneuvrabilty and no problem for topspin to, so this blade is a do it all well for me, and it is very linear and easy to play, everything seems more "easy" than with other blades.

Hello,

I would like to what recent blade are the most similar to the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha ? I really like it because it is very (very) easy to use and in the same time it is efficient, good in all aspects of the game. Unfortunatly, I don't like the design and the finish quality, I know you will sy to me that it is not important if the blade play well, but unfortunatly to me it is as I am a maniac, and if I can find something even better, meaning similar and with better finish, it will be nice.

If it can help , I already have :

- Septear lead : the blade is nice, but the handle is way to thin, what a pity because the blade play well.
- Septear feel inner : very good blade, but to much catapult for me.
- Septear (normal) : awesome feel but a bit to stiff and fast.
- S-7 : like the Septear, very good feel, very solid, but a bit to fast for me.
- Victas ZX gear in : awesome blade, very efficient and pleasure to play, but I need to develop my level a bit more, on the slow game it is a bit to fast for my actual level.

The Alpha is the blade that give me nice confidence, very maneuvrable, every thing seems more easy to do with it and I am more consistant. The speed / control ratio is very nice. I don't know why but it seems very forgiving, and my level is better with that one.

Thank you a lot.
If You like a blade and the handle is too thin, try grip tape. It will add c:a 5g to the weight and push the center of gravity downward, but it may work. For me it works out excellent.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: JJ Ng and Romson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014

Reactions: Romson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Thank you a lot, exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I can add that the only Alpha I know is the blue one, so the new.

Yes you right, the Septear (normal one) is very very stiff, no flex at all (think playing with stiff metal 😁 ), but in the same time, it is very soft. The feel is awsome, one of the best I tried , unfortunately I need flex to have confidence.

I already thoughted about the SSPW, but I want to avoid head heavy blade, because for me maneuvrability is a very important point. I guess the SSPW should be like the Latika (maybe because of bigger head), and while I like the feel, I don't like the balance.

I also thoughted about the force pro (I thinck it is better looking and better finish than the blue Alpha), which I haven't test, but I have to concern about it : is it not to fast ? ANd my second concern is about flexibility, because it is a 7 ply I wonder if it is flexible enough. For exemple, My S-7 is a very good blade, very "solid" at impact, but for me it is not flexible enough, while it is awsome for blocking, I strugle for topsin and to open backspin, more than with a 5 ply or with my ZX.

About the ALpha (blue one so), I agree that it is stiff for a 5 ply, and soft in the same time, but as it is very well balanced I get a very good maneuvrabilty and no problem for topspin to, so this blade is a do it all well for me, and it is very linear and easy to play, everything s
I am a huge fan of Tibhar's all wood blades. I have SSPW, Samsonov Blue, and Samsonov Force pro black. I like all of them.

SSPW might have the most flex. Samsonov blue in the middle. Pro Black has the least flex. I agree. Pro Black does have the best looking finishing. Pro Black is also, with less flex, of course faster than SSPW.

I like all three. I don't mind the head heaviness. You can pretty much get used to everything just as long as the blade and the rubber combinations work well.

By the way, I hate flex and vibration. That's just me. I therefore do not like regular all wood Nittaku Acoustic at all. I understand that it is priced high for its craftmanship but I would take these three Tibhar blades over an all wood Acoustic any time of the day.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I'm not sure if it's still available, but DHS Hurricane WL (Wang Liqin) has the same composition as Samsonov Alpha
Last I checked H-WL was koto/spruce, whereas both old Samsonov Alpha with gray handles and the new SGS versions seem to have a limba surface

This user has no status.
I am a huge fan of Tibhar's all wood blades. I have SSPW, Samsonov Blue, and Samsonov Force pro black. I like all of them.

SSPW might have the most flex. Samsonov blue in the middle. Pro Black has the least flex. I agree. Pro Black does have the best looking finishing. Pro Black is also, with less flex, of course faster than SSPW.

I like all three. I don't mind the head heaviness. You can pretty much get used to everything just as long as the blade and the rubber combinations work well.

By the way, I hate flex and vibration. That's just me. I therefore do not like regular all wood Nittaku Acoustic at all. I understand that it is priced high for its craftmanship but I would take these three Tibhar blades over an all wood Acoustic any time of the day.
Thank you for your anwser. When you say Samsonov blue, you speak about the new alpha with blue handle, or about the force pro ?

Yes I guess that Tibhar blades are made to be "efficient", they have not the best build quality, but they have some nice balance between "easy to play" and play efficiency. This brand remind me Babolat in tennis, not the best finish, not the best feeling, but very effective blade that everybody, to new beginner from high level players, can use.