My first tournament since 1982

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Some of you know I got back into Table Tennis after a 24 year lay off a little over a month ago and had not been in a tournament since 1982. I played in a under 2000 round robin tourney. The tournament was fun as all the people there were super friendly and many took time to point out things I could work on and had me practice with them on these areas between matches. However my play was terrible in that I was super nervous and during play if I missed my attacking shots I would fall back into a conservative style that kept me in the points longer but ultimately cost me the matches. At first I was squeezing the handle of my racquet so tightly I am surprised I did not break it so I had no touch during the first games. All of my opponents came up to me after the bracket was done and told me that if I had just continued to attack with my forehand I could have done much better as they felt pressured by its pace and spin. I would swing around my backhand and go down both lines but if I missed it would be several points before I tried it again. So in essence my attempt to save points by not attacking when I felt like it was a low percentage shot cost me points and games and my perception of my play was completely different than my opponents. I was apparently in the pen holder bracket as I was the only shake-hands player there and my return of their service was abysmal. I had no rating going into the tournament and ended up with somewhere around 1350 so that is a minor victory as I can now have a base to work from which to improve. My bracket had the eventual winner a 1975 player who I got to 6 points several games but I felt was not really giving me his "A" game by the time we got to game 3. I beat a 1475 player and a 1530 player in informal matches at the practice tables being aggressive but in regular tournament games I kept falling back into the tentative mode and would lose ground mid game and the match usually with 6 or 8 points. I completely realize ratings are not the end all be all of the game but it does give me a mark to shoot for and some definitive way to mark my progress other than my own opinion. I wish I had read the Forum post on aggressive play BEFORE I went to the tournament.:) I feel I would have stayed with the more aggressive style. To play aggressive I will be working on my conditioning and timing with some of the drills from the videos found here in the forums and online.

Mar 2016
How are you guys filming your matches? My phone will only do about 15 seconds before it stops and shoots me the finger and there is no delay. Are you using a GOPRO or similar tool and what would you recommend. I recognize the value of video but have been hesitant to buy something only to find out that its outdated or that its not the right tool.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I use my smartphone to film, the quality is fine even tho its alrdy 3 years old.
The only problem is to get a solid stand.
However if your phone dies on you and you still want to record stuff id reccomend you watching some youtube videos on the theme. For example

And ofc a GoPro is allways a good choice, it might be a bit akward because of the sligth "fisheye effect". On the other hand its barely noticeable.