My original reverse pendulum serve developement

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi everyone, Back again with the follow up video on the reverse pendulum serves. The second video is reverse pendulum vs pendulum. Did u identify the difference. Third one is for those mates who haven't seen my old post on the same subject. Share with me what you think about it. Both positive and negative feedbacks are welcome :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Okay okay I get it, you're amazing at service! but with all this service practice how do you decide what to do in a game?! and surely it's hard to learn to capitalize off all of the variations you have now! Fantastic serves as always btw.

Thanks shuki :) My game level is quite average. So,I compensate my game with those serves.

I usually get atleast three points on serves against players two divisions above my level and pretty much all points on my serves on players below my level except for I screw it up. After, watching quite a lot of videos and practising like a retarded kid, those soft touches against the wall became better, i kind of mastered those soft touches to return my opponents serves closer to net. Then I loop the 4th ball like Ma lin towards the opposite diagonal and finish the point. If the third balls prop backwards, I finish it with very awkward powerful loops(Imagine that obese kid rolling over u, I got some bad power from those big belly and shoulders). All that could make me feel cocky. But, superior technique always beats raw power and whatever. If all the above didn't happen, I probably lost the point and probably the match :( ( I simply accept the fact that my opponent is better and try to learn something from the experience).

Regarding serve choices, I usually choose between my version of ML style for different serve variations. For accuracy, high quality pendulum and height, I choose ZJK style serves. I rarely go into reverse pendulum serves cos the third ball loops are pretty hard. It all depends on where my opponent feels uncomfortable. Sometimes it is a simple backspin serve or a topspin serve. I kind of adapt but even with this level of practice, i give away points by serving the ball to net. There goes the confession.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
To be honest with you, your reverse pendulum serves don't look spinny at all. They aren't short either. I'm not seeing any short serves, nor any underspin reverse pendulum serves, so I'm not impressed.

You aren't really gripping the ball. They're all just long serves with some spin on it. Not really high quality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
To be honest with you, your reverse pendulum serves don't look spinny at all. They aren't short either. I'm not seeing any short serves, nor any underspin reverse pendulum serves, so I'm not impressed.

You aren't really gripping the ball. They're all just long serves with some spin on it. Not really high quality.

Hi David, Thanks for commenting. Actually, if you looked at the title of the first video, I mentioned there that the focus is only on long reverse top serves.

Regarding the spin, if you check 1:33, you could see the amount of spin in the ball, usually I leave one bad serve in the video to highlight the spin quality. Since, I was focussing on mid long serves, the prime focus was on magnitude compared to brushing the ball. What do you think about that? One has to compromise spin for speed in long serves right?

Regarding high quality, it is highly disputable and debatable :D

In my youtube channel, there should be some videos where I serve reverse short serves. If you are interested please do check out those. Just today, I have added a video on my tribute to ZJK pendlum serve in home page

In the second video, did you find the deception between the pendulum and reverse pendulum. The main theme of this thread is to revolve around that deception :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
The title says Advanced Long Reverse Pendulum Topspin. I'll take my words back for the short and underspin. Sorry.

Since your goal is deception, I'll let it slide. Also, you should only serve that down the line, since you plan on using misdirection.

But I'll just point out that if I was someone who wanted to learn how to do a reverse pendulum serve, your video titled "Advanced Long Reverse Pendulum Topspin" would not be what would I have in mind. When I saw this thread, I was expecting a serve like Zhang Ji Ke's, or Fan Zheng Dong's.

As for how much deception you have, it's decent, but not enough to fool someone with experience.

One more thing to note, since you are prioritizing speed over spin, a more advanced player will simply try to loop. If there isn't enough spin variation, it won't make a difference to the opponent. A loop will simply override the small change you made.

What I will do is serve reverse fast long down the line with some underspin. Since I'm left handed, this goes straight to the righty's backhand. They often go to the net a few times before they catch on.

Another option is to learn how to serve both short. That takes a lot of practice though, and even more so if you want both to be deceptive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
The title says Advanced Long Reverse Pendulum Topspin. I'll take my words back for the short and underspin. Sorry.

Since your goal is deception, I'll let it slide. Also, you should only serve that down the line, since you plan on using misdirection.

But I'll just point out that if I was someone who wanted to learn how to do a reverse pendulum serve, your video titled "Advanced Long Reverse Pendulum Topspin" would not be what would I have in mind. When I saw this thread, I was expecting a serve like Zhang Ji Ke's, or Fan Zheng Dong's.

As for how much deception you have, it's decent, but not enough to fool someone with experience.

One more thing to note, since you are prioritizing speed over spin, a more advanced player will simply try to loop. If there isn't enough spin variation, it won't make a difference to the opponent. A loop will simply override the small change you made.

What I will do is serve reverse fast long down the line with some underspin. Since I'm left handed, this goes straight to the righty's backhand. They often go to the net a few times before they catch on.

Another option is to learn how to serve both short. That takes a lot of practice though, and even more so if you want both to be deceptive.

you should only serve that down the line, since you plan on using misdirection.

i am planning to serve those serve in the cross diagonal fashion. If you did check the pendulum serves in the third video, that is my prime strategy. To serve both pendulum and reverse pendulum across for a leftie like you, it would end up in your FH. But, I believe confusing topspins should do the job to make them difficult to loop right?

you should only serve that down the line, since you plan on using misdirection.
Just to confirm once again, Did you do check the second video cos the first serve is reverse and second one was pendulum It was confusing even to the person who served. I thought it would finish most players on the planet regardless of experience :cool:. There goes the cockiness.

since you are prioritizing speed over spin, a more advanced player will simply try to loop. If there isn't enough spin variation, it won't make a difference to the opponent. A loop will simply override the small change you made.

Totally agree, Loop would put most of those into rest. So, I am working on improving the serve spin quality. It is my first iteration, so a lot to work on those from intial phase.

I am generally having trouble to get good quality reverse backspins. I don't know why probably I am messing up the contact angle. So, as you said for a lefty it would be a toast.

learn how to serve both short. That takes a lot of practice though, and even more so if you want both to be deceptive

For the short ones, I usually prefer ZJK style reverse and pendulum serves. Hope you find these fackers interesting. would be glad to know your feedback. Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it :)