New London TT facility

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I am told 16 players last night. Range of standards and range of ages.
Not many there on Wednesday, 8 at the most, but must admit we got there very late at 8-15 due to the Indian celebrations which caused traffic jams most of the way and it took us nearly 2 hours to get there which by then perhaps some players night have left. However, Carl had a good knock-up with John Payne and with the Viet number 2 so we were told plus a guy named Noel and looking at Ians picture it could have been him. I was looking for Fallen Angel who said he would be there from the TTT and I am wondering whether it was John Payne as he said something about the website but never came out with his user name so I am still none the wiser. Just to say Mr Belisar that we hope to go next Tuesday so will see you there (if there are not any traffic jams lol).

Last edited:
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Great
Congratulations
Shreeshaila
India

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Read 5 reviews
It's great news for morpeth and tt in london but its such a shame that there are only a few 'big' clubs available 2 train at now. Being the country's capital there should be more dedicated tt clubs around as I know there are lots of good standard players out there without a club to play at!

In response if anyone does no of any good clubs in london could they please post here as Im sure plenty of people would like more venues

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Being the country's capital there should be more dedicated tt clubs around as I know there are lots of good standard players out there without a club to play at!

This is an argument a few have been having. Over 6 million people in London, decent transport even without a car, a couple of leagues operating and a real lack of decent venues. Gratz to the ETTA and Sport England for recognising this and supporting the Morpeth venture. The club has seen the likes of Gavin Rumgay, Nial Cameron, Richard Andrews, Will Cooney, Andrew Rushton etc there, as well as a stack of players from the 1st Division of the Central London League so it seems there is the demand.

Rumour has it that another facility is to be built in or near Finsbury Park. I have no idea of the details or the time line involved and will post as and when I find out more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Just a quick word to thank the two John's for having a knock with Carl. Only found out last night that Fallen Angel was John Payne who played last Wednesday although I had a feeling who he was but having asked some others if the were Fallen Angel, completely forgot to ask John outright last week, Must be the age thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Oh I didn't know this was a school. You said a TT Facility had been opened this led me to believe it was a facility that could be open for more hours than it currently is. As for an after school thing 3 hours is still kind of short. I mean from what I hear people train for a couple hours before getting there and to only get 3 hours in return would kind of be inefficient. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be grateful for the 3 hours, just that it is a huge waste of potential.

I know the clubs around where I live that participate in School Gyms or other rooms they typically go for 4-5 hours at least 3-4 nights a week. If you can get more than 3 hours I'd highly recommend it because more playing time = more players willing to come.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Oh I didn't know this was a school. You said a TT Facility had been opened this led me to believe it was a facility that could be open for more hours than it currently is. As for an after school thing 3 hours is still kind of short. I mean from what I hear people train for a couple hours before getting there and to only get 3 hours in return would kind of be inefficient. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be grateful for the 3 hours, just that it is a huge waste of potential.

I know the clubs around where I live that participate in School Gyms or other rooms they typically go for 4-5 hours at least 3-4 nights a week. If you can get more than 3 hours I'd highly recommend it because more playing time = more players willing to come.
The Morpeth School was mentioned in my original thread. As for wanting longer than 3 hours playing time, there are not many (even fit) players would want to play solid for this amount of time as can be seen at Morpeth where top class players only knock-up for around hour and a half - give or take. Its different when there is a match as obviously there are breaks in between. As for myself, one hour is enough anyway and even my 13 year old grandson on Tuesday got tired after just an hour plus the fact that everyone except myself had left by 9-15 as we never got there until just gone 8. Remember the school opens for TT at 6. This might make an interesting topic to see what other players think about 'playing time'.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
It is currently more restrcited than we would like. Partly financial and partly manpower issues.

Club opens at 6pm although people seem to be arrving 6.30pm onwards. We have to be out by 10pm.

My experience so far is the same as Schumi - 3 hours is more than enough it seems for most. Tuesday players were heading out of the door before 9.30pm. At the moment there are no people waiting around for tables and so there is no downtime unless the players want a rest. Pretty much when you finish with one practise partner you can move on to the next.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Sorry for digging up this old thread. I was just wondering when the last session of this year will be. Basically, is it open on Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday?

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
School is on holiday and whilst we had hoped to open this week we are having a lot of issues confirming the caretaker will be there to open up.

I'll keep trying and post here when I know more. Would hate to see people have a wasted trip.

This user has no status.
top class sport in britain...about time we had a dedicated venue purely for tt, supported by sport england or whoever...a large venue in the centre of the country usable for many grand prixs, british leagues etc maybe a football club could somehow build an academy for sport al la barcelona, who have basketball and other sporting venues attatched to the club..and use this as a national venue for tt,,, any ideas welcome...maybe we could take over the tennis academy which has been a bit of a flop..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
We are unable to confirm with the school at the moment if any provision has been made to allow the club to open this evening (and this week) and messages to the caretaker are not being responded to.

I am currently forced to assume it will not open until the school holidays are finished.

Sadly we are having a lot of trouble getting any information out of the school - if I do hear anything else I will post here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thanks for the update.

Happy Holidays and see you in the new year!

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
There is this private chinese school in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia that allows their 12 courts badminton hall to be open for TT in the evening everyday. They even have a TT and badminton shop in the hall. It's open till 12-12.30am and the best part, there's no need to wait around for available tables since there will always be at least 2 or 3 to choose from.

Aside from that, there are 3 to 4 clubs that is open 24hours where anybody can come and play till you drop for RM2 a session, be it an hour session or 6 hours! That's less than 40pence for each person. You just drop the money in a box provided, and off you go. The collection will go to the cleaners, utility bills, security guard and general up keep of the facilities. I've never seen the place deserted even at 5am!