new rubbers for complete amateur

This user has no status.
Hi everyone ,

I've been playing table tennis since 2009 - only for fun with my friends. Right now I'm 17 .

In September 2015 I decided to train 4x week and I'm seeing progress.

I didn't have any racket so my coach gave me one. As I learned new shots I realized that rubbers are very old. I saw that I lost couple of matches because of my rubbers ( I couldn't create a lot of topspin and serve well)

Speed of rubbers are fine but I can;t create a lot of spin.

Right now I'm playing in amateur's league in my city - I'm pretty much beginner.

My rubbers are: backhand - global 999 national / forehand - some tibhar rubber with more spped and spin than global rubber

My question is - can someone recommend me some rubber that will be:

on backhand - a little bit more slower and softer , with more control but II can create as much spin as on forehand side ??

on forehand - rubber a little bit faster than backhand side , something that I can create pretty much the same amonut of spin that on backhand ????

I can spend 50 euros on these two rubbers . Thank you very much . PEACCEEEEEEE

Range is 25 euro for both rubbers .

I dont understand - 999 will not fit me ??

I saw 50€ in the original post, thats why I wondered. There is nothing wrong with 999:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Yeah sorry for that 50 euros .

Later I decided to spent only 25 euros and in 2017 buy some 80 euros rubbers .

Feel free to share some under 25 rubbers if you were testing anyone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
Xiom Vega Europe is a good soft rubber you could think about for your backhand it has great control, if you wanted something with even more control you could try the Vega Elite. These could fit inside your budget if you find a good deal or you could try a combination of Tibhar Rapid and Rapid Soft (backhand)

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Thank for reply .

Right now I'm confused and I don't know what rubbers to choose , this amount of rubbers is problem ( I can buy 30 rubbers in my budget , pretty much similar but I don' t understand why two friendship 729 faster rubbers are 2 times cheaper than for example two dhs hurricane 3 rubbers )

but xiom vega europe also too expensive . It's 25 euros for 1 rubber .

I must buy 2 rubbers in 25 euro price .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
If you are training 4 times a week then a 12 euro rubber probably isn't going to benefit you the best or be good for long term usage. If you have restraints that's understandable but even if you spend 25 euros on one rubber and change the forehand side first and then backhand later when you can, you would benefit more almost than buying two cheap rubbers.

Even Mark V is 25 euros and it's a fairly standard entry level rubber for developing players. You would have to look at the cheaper Chinese rubbers like Friendship, DHS and Spinlord which are more limited, firmer sponges, and less catapult effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
729 are old product lines while Hurricane 3 are comparatively newer product lines.

729 is still a good product for you. Our club has a developing senior player using 729, went from beginner to intermediate in 12 months.

You can upgrade your 729 as you develop by just adding a little baby oil for more speed and Spin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I know I won't benefit in a long term but now I'm playing with dead 3 years old globe 999 on bh and tibhar volcano.
I'm still developing strokes because I'm inconsistent .

I buy these rubbers only for 6 months , later I'll buy better and more expensive rubbers.

For me I'ts bad idea buying 25 euro rubber on fh when my bh is dead and slow as hell.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are way overthinking this. Just take cue cards. Write the name of one of the rubbers that fits in your budget on each cue card. Put the cue cards on a dart board. Find someone who is really bad at darts. Blindfold them and have them throw darts until two of the rubbers are hit. Put the slower one on the BH side. End of story.

All of the rubbers in your price range will be fine and will be very similar. The differences will be minimal. And it would take someone who knows equipment well to feel and tell you the differences. So stop worrying and just choose two. Truthfully, I think you should just choose one and put the same rubber on each side. But you want a slower rubber for your BH so, choose two and put the slower one on BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I know I'm overthinking but I always want to be sure that I have the best rubber - even if it's costs only 25 euros.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You are way overthinking this. Just take cue cards. Write the name of one of the rubbers that fits in your budget on each cue card. Put the cue cards on a dart board. Find someone who is really bad at darts. Blindfold them and have them throw darts until two of the rubbers are hit. Put the slower one on the BH side. End of story.

All of the rubbers in your price range will be fine and will be very similar. The differences will be minimal. And it would take someone who knows equipment well to feel and tell you the differences. So stop worrying and just choose two. Truthfully, I think you should just choose one and put the same rubber on each side. But you want a slower rubber for your BH so, choose two and put the slower one on BH.

Carl, great description... add somewhere in there about having the guy throwing the dart quickly down 5 shots of Who Hit John and do 5 quick 360 spins on his toes immediately before throwing the dart(s) (Perhaps 2 at one time ???!!!)

Sounds like it is gunna get interesting soon.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thank for reply .

Right now I'm confused and I don't know what rubbers to choose , this amount of rubbers is problem ( I can buy 30 rubbers in my budget , pretty much similar but I don' t understand why two friendship 729 faster rubbers are 2 times cheaper than for example two dhs hurricane 3 rubbers )

but xiom vega europe also too expensive . It's 25 euros for 1 rubber .

I must buy 2 rubbers in 25 euro price .

You know Maloxu82, this is problem for many people, especially those with enough money to spend buy one or two or twelve of every rubber and blade ever made, even if they do not have the money and have a family depending on them... These people are called EJ - Equipment Junkies

You wont know how a blade or rubber performs until you try it, and trying every rubber and blade ever made is a more difficult mission than catching ALL the Pokemon.

It is really a function of being inexperienced and bad luck of not having a bunch of players around you with different equipment who allow you to hit with their stuff a couple minutes, so you can learn.

This is natural that you feel this way, but listen to what everyone is saying, run it through your bullcrap filter, and try out two good suggestions. At worst, you are out 25 Teuros, it isn't the end of the world, just earn it back. You could always contract yourself out to the Anti-Goon Squad European Team. I hear they pay out 50 Euros for each Goon Squad member you lure into the the exact proper grid coordinate position to fall down the North End London Pub trapdoor when Carl sets it off with hiz remote control from Deep Space.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The idea is that, since they are actually all not too bad and even if they perform similarly they are not the same. But which ever one you get will be fine.

Since you are on budget the idea of getting the best rubber should be something you are not thinking about. It's silly anyway. Since a rubber that one person likes, another person may not like. And there really is no such thing as the best rubber.

But if you did want the best you would throw your budget out the window and get something like Tenergy. Even if it's not the best for you, it costs the most. Unless you tried to get some National H3 because you wanted the goon squad to chase you and track you down.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Please don't give this advise to anybody. Its absolutely wrong to start with junk without learning the basics. This might screw his backhand technique and everything else right from the beginning !!

To accelerate your 4H development, put Anti on your BH to handle Serves. Later you can switch back to inverted on your BH. Too much to learn on both sides for a beginner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I'll necer go for anti spin for bh bcs I love bh strokes to death.

I saw these thing on sanwei t88-i review - one group say it's even spinnier than tenergy and looping backspin and other balls is better and easier than ever. Other group says that sanwei is not spinny at all and is not hood quality rubber.

On thursday I will test some tacky and nontacky rubbers but not these cheap that I mentioned before (more expensive).

Maybe later you'll help me which from my list we'll the most similar.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Well, I coached a senior in his mid 50's who was playing at about USATT 500 rating skill level using a generic hard bat paddle. He was playing all BH with no 4H. He didn't even understand the basics of spin. I designed a paddle for him 4H 729 BH anti. In 12-16 months he is 1600+ level with a very good 4H. He doesn't have a service return problem. He is now starting to counterloop on his 4H.

Reactions: BeGo