New Stiga Mantra Pro

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

I've copied Stiga's performance ratings from their website into the table below, and it looks like the Mantro Pro rubber is just a slightly slower rubber than the comparable DNA rubber at each hardness category.

Granted that we take manufacturers' performance ratings with a pinch of salt, but even so, Stiga themselves rate Mantra Pro as being only fractionally different to DNA: slightly slower, fractionally more/less spin, and a little easier to control.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they would invest in the production of a new rubber series that is so minimally different to an existing series. Is the strategy to produce rubbers aimed specifically at mid-level players (i.e. most of us)? Or maybe the DNA Pro series isn't selling well and they plan to phase it out and replace it with Mantra Pro which, maybe, is cheaper to manufacture?

I have similar questions about Xiom's J&H series. I don't really understand where it fits in relation to the Omega 7 series. This is one area in which Butterfly does better than any other: their product range is much easier to understand.

SpeedSpinControl
Mantra Pro M (47)14813582
DNA Pro M (47.5)15613478
DNA Platinum M (47.5)16014076
Mantra Pro H (50)15213580
DNA Platinum H (50)16414074
Mantra Pro XH (53)15613578
DNA Pro H (52.5)16013476
DNA Platinum XH (52.5)16814072
[tbody] [/tbody]

I'm sure they feel quite different beyond the stats. The stats also seem different enough to the DNA's.

And hey, confusion and an abundance of choice is what leads people to consume more.

Butterfly's series are definitely very comprehensive.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Is the z2 too fast or uncontrollable on bh in your opinion? How is the z2 in short play? Incoming spin?

It feels pretty good on the BH, not too fast, but just a tad too hard for me on that wing but I could see it working well for a lot of people who like a 47-50 deg rubber on the BH. The T05 FX does feel faster and bouncier on the BH which I like coupled with its softness and very light weight. The Z2 is very fast on the FH but more controllable in general, less bouncy and less spin sensitive than Tenergys in my opinion. I think the Z2 is very decent in the short game and not too spin sensitive.

If the Mantra Pros are similar than Z2, maybe the M would work for me on the BH, but I would have liked a 43-45 deg option like I initially thought the M was.

Last edited:
Reactions: matti77
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

79 is considered light in penhold.
the range is quite big for any blade, so there isn't a true theory that penhold is lighter than shakehand.
if the range is say +/- 5 grams. Your +5 in pen and -5 in shake, could end up with having a heavier pen.

I normally ask for 82 grams for my pen nowadays.
I used to ask for 84 grams.

and then i have rubbers at about 104 grams combined, making it 188 or so

What blade and rubbers are you currently using Tony?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

What blade and rubbers are you currently using Tony?

FH - DHS H3 #22 blue sponge, 39 Deg or 40 Deg, penhold cut (gap for finger), is about 51grams
BH - recently trying out H8-80, 38 Deg, full cut (no gap for finger), is about 52 grams

The above weight is with a couple of layer of booster and glue
blade is a standard Stiga penhold blade (stiga blades are larger than Butterfly and most other brands)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

FH - DHS H3 #22 blue sponge, 39 Deg or 40 Deg, penhold cut (gap for finger), is about 51grams
BH - recently trying out H8-80, 38 Deg, full cut (no gap for finger), is about 52 grams

The above weight is with a couple of layer of booster and glue
blade is a standard Stiga penhold blade (stiga blades are larger than Butterfly and most other brands)

What is this #22 sponge? How is it different from the H3 blue sponge national or provincial?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
And hey, confusion and an abundance of choice is what leads people to consume more.

Perhaps. But only up to a certain point, and beyond that it becomes a turn-off.

For example, I know a number of players who have moved away from Donic rubbers altogether because they just don't know what's going on with the various series anymore. Bluefire M, Bluefire JP, Bluestorm Z, Bluestorm Pro, Acuda Blue, Blue Grip, Blue Star ... it just gets ridiculous after a certain point.

Even so, I'm a fan of modern Stiga rubbers and have enjoyed both the DNA Pro and Dragon Grip. I hope the Mantra Pro series is good too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

For example, I know a number of players who have moved away from Donic rubbers altogether because they just don't know what's going on with the various series anymore. Bluefire M, Bluefire JP, Bluestorm Z, Bluestorm Pro, Acuda Blue, Blue Grip, Blue Star ... it just gets ridiculous after a certain point.

Even so, I'm a fan of modern Stiga rubbers and have enjoyed both the DNA Pro and Dragon Grip. I hope the Mantra Pro series is good too.

Yep I echo that - they really do need to consolidate or organise there product range better.

Equally i think if you buy a product that seems nowhere near what you imagined you would be less inclined to user the same manufacture even if they have a bunch more products that could be closer. Confusion is never a good thing :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

I cant stand this about TT companies. Inust want one clearly labeled flagship series. Any other series need to be clearly explained how they differ.

Also dont understand Xiom's Omega and Jekyll series.

Reactions: Manto76
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and the 2 posts below yours, most if not all manufacturers do not share much of the info they could about equipment (comp, thickness, throw, feel, even the speed class now for blades / undisclosed hardness, feel, who are the rubbers best suited for...) or and use the same rhetoric for every product they put out instead of dividing them in clear categories (beginner, intermediate, advanced, pro)...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Genuine question: what's the difference between ESN and Daiki?
ESN is a German company that makes rubbers for all the TT brands. Pretty much all the popular rubbers such as G1, MXP, Rakza, Andro and Donic are all made by ESN.

Daiki is a Japanese rubber company that also makes rubbers, but they are much less common. The most well known rubbers from Daiki are the Hammond Z2 and the Stiga Calibra.

To me Daiki rubbers have a more rubbery feel, like a ball of rubber bands. I like this feeling. ESN rubbers have a more meshy feel, like a trampoline.