Next Steps with TT equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
I’ve been playing table tennis like an addict for about a year now (played a little when I was a kid as both my uncle and dad play at a high level). I’ve been using the Stiga classic evolution for most of this time as it seemed like the right blade to develop my technique with and I don’t really have many complaints with the blade, obviously it’s very slow but it’s just taught me I need to use all of my body to achieve power which is by no means a bad thing. I’ve just ordered two sheets of Razka 7 max sponge which were originally planned to go on my evolution but as my dad also plays table tennis I have a plethora of spare blades to pick from, the two most notable to me are the korbel and the Timo Boll Spirit. I eventually wanna end up playing with a blade like the Spirit as I’m quite an offensive player and like the directness achieved with a carbon blade. The crux of my post is what blade should I put my Razka 7 on. Classic evolution has been a good servant to me but I know I eventually want to move on from it. Should I dive straight in with the spirit or go with the korbel which seems like a decent middle ground? Or just stick with the evolution for another season? For context my two local leagues have just finished and I have no tournaments in the near future and my summer league starts in 2 months so I’d have plenty of time to adapt.

This user has no status.
I’ve been playing table tennis like an addict for about a year now (played a little when I was a kid as both my uncle and dad play at a high level). I’ve been using the Stiga classic evolution for most of this time as it seemed like the right blade to develop my technique with and I don’t really have many complaints with the blade, obviously it’s very slow but it’s just taught me I need to use all of my body to achieve power which is by no means a bad thing. I’ve just ordered two sheets of Razka 7 max sponge which were originally planned to go on my evolution but as my dad also plays table tennis I have a plethora of spare blades to pick from, the two most notable to me are the korbel and the Timo Boll Spirit. I eventually wanna end up playing with a blade like the Spirit as I’m quite an offensive player and like the directness achieved with a carbon blade. The crux of my post is what blade should I put my Razka 7 on. Classic evolution has been a good servant to me but I know I eventually want to move on from it. Should I dive straight in with the spirit or go with the korbel which seems like a decent middle ground? Or just stick with the evolution for another season? For context my two local leagues have just finished and I have no tournaments in the near future and my summer league starts in 2 months so I’d have plenty of time to adapt.
What does your Dad think? If he plays at a high level and knows your game, presumably he can give you some good advice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
If you dont mind that you would feel like a worse player once you get the faster Equipment and that you would need some deliberate, dedicated Practice to learn technique and Form, I would say go for it.

I am a big fan of faster Equipment for improvement, if it isnt too big of a step up in speed and feeling and if you have the time, patience and training capabilities to learn and adapt with the New racket.

Do you have enough Training per week in the next time?
Can you get a decent Partner and/or a Coach to Set you up with the right Tips and exercises to get you to learn the technique adjustments that you need?
You can also Do all of the work yourself, like I do, but it takes more time and effort.
Can you invest time at home to watch pros and maybe coaching Videos ( from Fang Bo for example)?

Obviously, it doesnt have to be so extreme, but it would greatly accelerate your improvement.

I would say, go for it, TB Spirit, but I dont know much about you, at the end of the day you will need to decide for yourself and most importantly:

Experience will always be your best teacher.