Opinion on an old Stiga Offensive Classic (1988)

This user has no status.
Opinion on an old Stiga Offensive blade (3rd series 1988))

Greetings everyone,

recently i wanted to start playing TT again, and to do so i had to restore my old bat that features a pretty rare handle (anatomic asymmetric) other than being an Offensive Classic from Stiga bought in 1988 (that was a gift from my father). Last time i changed rubbers was 25 years ago, so i feared that the glue might have penetrated the wood at a deep level, and that the removal process would have harmed the blade.

I had some professionals do the job and i think the result is really good, although some minor portions here and there went away. I had them seal it and apply 2 new rubbers. I'm just waiting the bat to come into my hands again (next few days).

Attached are some pictures before and after the removal. As you see rubbers were so old that there was still the previous Butterfly logo...

IMG_3023.jpgIMG_3022.jpgIMG_9211_s.jpgIMG_9210_s.jpg

My playstyle has always been Off with more spins/chops than hits/blocks on both BH & FH. Hopefully i can reach a decent level again through practice :)

Questions:

- Do you guys think the blade is actually terribly ruined? I think it's not, but obviously more opinions on this matter are welcome!
- Considering the playstyle and the years of inactivity would you guys have gone with a new blade or kept using this old one at all costs, given the fact that i've read in some places around the feeling of the Stiga wood of the 80's is unsurpassed and also because of the rare handle (that i like and has a unique feeling)?

Thanks in advance for your answers and the time spent reading :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Do physical inspection, if no visible problem on the blade (ply separating, etc). Do ball bounce test and see if it feels ok/good. Most likely it will still play good.

If you want to try the new version of the blade, they have Offense Classic and Offensive Classic Carbon, although with standard handle types, nothing like yours anymore.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Greetings everyone,

recently i wanted to start playing TT again, and to do so i had to restore my old bat that features a pretty rare handle (anatomic asymmetric) other than being an Offensive Classic from Stiga bought in 1988 (that was a gift from my father). Last time i changed rubbers was 25 years ago, so i feared that the glue might have penetrated the wood at a deep level, and that the removal process would have harmed the blade.

I had some professionals do the job and i think the result is really good, although some minor portions here and there went away. I had them seal it and apply 2 new rubbers. I'm just waiting the bat to come into my hands again (next few days).

Attached are some pictures before and after the removal. As you see rubbers were so old that there was still the previous Butterfly logo...

View attachment 10807View attachment 10808View attachment 10810View attachment 10809

My playstyle has always been Off with more spins/chops than hits/blocks on both BH & FH. Hopefully i can reach a decent level again through practice :)

Questions:

- Do you guys think the blade is actually terribly ruined? I think it's not, but obviously more opinions on this matter are welcome!
- Considering the playstyle and the years of inactivity would you guys have gone with a new blade or kept using this old one at all costs, given the fact that i've read in some places around the feeling of the Stiga wood of the 80's is unsurpassed and also because of the rare handle (that i like and has a unique feeling)?

Thanks in advance for your answers and the time spent reading :)

That blade is such a beauty.
I probably would play it 'till it falls apart.
[Emoji2]
If you want to sell it, let me know.
;)
I used to play with that handle when i was a junior. My hands where to small at that time and the handle felt a bit too beefy. But it should be better now.

In case you're looking for more information, here are two beautiful threads from two different forums.
It might be worth reading.

This first one is from a collector showing his beautiful collection and gives a lot of side info.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69217&PN=1&title=i-am-proud-to-present

The second one is a thread about STIGA Blades changing over the last 60 years from another forum.

http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=38192

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Rokphish, Liten, Suga D:
thanks for your answers! I'll stick with it and see what's the outcome.

Suga D:
From the first link it appears to be a 4th series, what an insightful thread you've linked... That collection is really impressive.
The second link leads to a german form and unfortunately i don't understand a word of it. I'll give it a shot with google translate :p

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
marauDEr, I have a plan. This will work. If you ship that blade to me, I will be able to tell you if it is any good or not. :)

Nah, keep that. Just don't bang it up when you play with it. I would cry if I dinged that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That blade is such a beauty.
I probably would play it 'till it falls apart.
[Emoji2]
If you want to sell it, let me know.
;)
I used to play with that handle when i was a junior. My hands where to small at that time and the handle felt a bit too beefy. But it should be better now.

In case you're looking for more information, here are two beautiful threads from two different forums.
It might be worth reading.

This first one is from a collector showing his beautiful collection and gives a lot of side info.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69217&PN=1&title=i-am-proud-to-present

The second one is a thread about STIGA Blades changing over the last 60 years from another forum.

http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=38192

Amazing post. More people should be hitting the like button on this post. Thanks Suga D!!!!!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Thanks everyone for the kind help, much appreciated!

UpSideDownCarl:
I won't! I'll start from the abc of the swing and make sure that my movements don't hit the table :)

On a bit off-topic sidenote, how can i place a "like" on Suga's post? I don't see any "like" button anywhere o_O

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
On a bit off-topic sidenote, how can i place a "like" on Suga's post? I don't see any "like" button anywhere o_O

Since it's been you who has opened this thread, i don't think anybody would mind if you hijack your own thread.
[Emoji3]
So to answer your question: the "like" button only appears after a certain amount of posts. I think it's five. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Rokphish, Liten, Suga D:
thanks for your answers! I'll stick with it and see what's the outcome.

Suga D:
From the first link it appears to be a 4th series, what an insightful thread you've linked... That collection is really impressive.
The second link leads to a german form and unfortunately i don't understand a word of it. I'll give it a shot with google translate :p

Nearly forgot:
That thread on the german forum is long as eff, so it may take some time reading all through it, but people there are also english spoken.
the OP has been answering also a few questions there in english.

In case Google Translate doesn't help, just post your question, I'll try to translate it for you. In case my answer might be too slow, there are a few german spoken TTD members that could translate as well. So just go ahead, mate.
[Emoji13]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
a pretty rare handle (anatomic asymmetric)
That`s right. The handle is really rare. It was called "super anatomic". It`s anatomic on one side and flared on the other side, a very nice handle if your hands are not too big and not too small for this handle.

Yinhe copied this handle some times ago, for example on their Challenge Classic S6.

P1050643.jpg

other than being an Offensive Classic from Stiga bought in 1988
The Stiga Offensiv Classic was the replacement of this Stiga Offensiv and was released in the middle of the 80`s. The Stiga Offensiv was sold only for a short time (a few years) from the beginning to the middle of the 80`s. You can find two versions: one with black imprint and one with white imprint like visible on this blade.

I had some professionals do the job and i think the result is really good, although some minor portions here and there went away
That`s a pity. Real "professionals" should have been able to remove the old rubbers without any splinters ;-) with the help of acetone or something like that.

Do you guys think the blade is actually terribly ruined? I think it's not, but obviously more opinions on this matter are welcome!
Well, the veneer looks not bad, definitely playable, although I would repair the splinters first before sealing the blade ! For example you could use some wood-paste. You can get this kind of wood filler in several colors. So you should find one, which fits to the outer veneer of your blade, but more important is the neck of these old blades, because lots of these old blades have haircuts from drying, and if I look on the detailed pictures, it does not look very good in this part of the blade.

IMG_3022.jpg

By the way: I am the guy who posted the pictures in Suga D?`s link. ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
By the way: I am the guy who posted the pictures in Suga D?`s link. ;-)

Hahaha
[Emoji2]
Now that's really great.

First of all:
Welcome to the forum, Magic_M.
Good to have you here and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

There might be a few familiar names you might know from other forums. Such as Der_Echte, Tinykin, Baal, Rokphish, and a few more.

Hopefully the one or the other might chime in.
Have a good time, while you're here.

[Emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hey,

i'm gladly surprised for the nice direction this thread took, and thanks everyone for the contribution!

Magic_M: i can only say "wow" in front of such collection but most of all the really extended xplanation. It's like reading the chronicles of TableTennis!
Anyway after further reading i think that my blade is a 3rd series, while for the handle name "anatomic asymmetric" was the only thing i remember about it, but i do believe the real name is the one listed by you.

I agree that everyone should be able to look after his own bat, but like i said, even after watching some videos in YT i didn't feel "ready" enough to do the job, not to mention the fact that i was terribly scared by the status of the sponge.

Like i said, i have to start again from the abc :)

Also, here are 2 more pictures before the rubbers were removed, that show the sides. As you see it seems to be in a good condition, but i'll take the advice to use some wood paste. Additional tips 'n' tricks are welcome!

IMG_3021.jpgIMG_3020.jpg

Also, it looks like this is going to be my 5th post on the forum, so a rain of likes is incoming in your posts. Thanks again! :)