Recommendations for CPEN blade

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
hello all, i am looking for a CPEN blade optimized for topspin gameplay with good price-performance ratio

allwood blade is preferred and ideally not heavy

i am a JPEN player who plans to slowly transition to CPEN soon for a multitude of reasons;

1) RPB is pretty fun and i want to learn it
2) i want to spice my game up
3) i ended up watching way more Wang Hao and Ma Lin videos lately and now i am in a CPEN phase :p

my mind is boggled since theres a lot of CPEN blades compared to JPEN blades out there so i am wondering if there are any recommendations from the forum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
hello all, i am looking for a CPEN blade optimized for topspin gameplay with good price-performance ratio

i am a JPEN player who plans to slowly transition to CPEN soon for a multitude of reasons;

3) i ended up watching way more Wang Hao and Ma Lin videos lately and now i am in a CPEN phase :p

my mind is boggled since theres a lot of CPEN blades compared to JPEN blades out there so i am wondering if there are any recommendations from the forum
While a seven-ply pure wood CPEN paddle is a great option, I couldn't think of any other options. However, if I were to consider a non-pure wood paddle, the Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon would be a great choice despite being an older model. It is a high-quality paddle with a recommended weight of 85 grams. For the backhand rubber, I suggest choosing a slightly lighter option. When attaching the backhand rubber, placing it towards the top of the paddle can further improve the weight balance, as shown in the image below.

Reactions: netdriver
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I play RPB with all wood
You can try

Fextra 7
YEO
Stiga infinity
Nittauku acoustic

Fextra is very well balanced blade for
Bh as well.

Aug 2019
While a seven-ply pure wood CPEN paddle is a great option, I couldn't think of any other options. However, if I were to consider a non-pure wood paddle, the Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon would be a great choice despite being an older model. It is a high-quality paddle with a recommended weight of 85 grams. For the backhand rubber, I suggest choosing a slightly lighter option. When attaching the backhand rubber, placing it towards the top of the paddle can further improve the weight balance, as shown in the image below.

out of curiosity, why seven-ply and not five-ply wood?

how fast is the Ma Lin Carbon? i actually don't mind carbon at all but i have a heavy preference for pure wood because im not familiar with carbon blades and how they play compared to all-wood

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
I like my YEO c-pen.
I am normally a shake hands player but I can fool a lot of people that I play c-pen with my YEO.
BTW, I think the playing c-pen is as natural as playing shake hands and RPB is natural too.
For RPB, I find mid-soft (42-25 esn hardness) rubbers works better with YEO on BH, otherwise a big/fast swing is needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
out of curiosity, why seven-ply and not five-ply wood?

how fast is the Ma Lin Carbon? i actually don't mind carbon at all but i have a heavy preference for pure wood because im not familiar with carbon blades and how they play compared to all-wood
In 40+ table tennis, I think a 5-ply pure wood paddle might be too slow. As a former JPEN player, although I'm not sure which paddle you used, JPEN paddles generally have stronger elasticity than CPEN paddles. If you use a 5-ply pure wood paddle, I'm concerned that it might be too slow for you. Compared to carbon blades, both JPEN and CPEN pure wood paddles provide a unique feel that cannot be matched. Although you may worry that carbon blades delaminate faster and have shorter ball retention times, the Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon blade is a good option for 40+ table tennis. Despite being a product of the 38mm era, its speed is just right - not too fast, not too slow. I also bought a Ma Lin Carbon blade two months ago, and I found that the feel of the ball on a Ma Lin Carbon blade is clear and precise.
If I remember correctly, the Ma Lin Carbon blade structure is limba-ayous-carbon-ayous-carbon-ayous-limba. This structure does not cause the ball to leave too quickly and result in mistakes, and the carbon layers in the Ma Lin Carbon blade are mild.

Jan 2023
If you are looking for an all wood blade then Nittaku Septear is a great blade, not that fast but has great feeling and works pretty good with Fastarc G1 too

A bit thick for RPB I'd say. Whilst it is certainly possible to RPB with thicker blade (my current blade is ~8 mm), the bat angle needs to be more open and the stroke needs to be more drive-through the ball.

Maybe the Yasaka (Ma Lin) Extra Special: https://jarvissports.co.uk/product/yasaka-ma-lin-extra-special/ https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-ma-lin-extra-special-pen

(These websites are probably not ideal for you to get this blade.)

Jan 2023
thanks for the recommendation guys

ill look more into the blades

i have some doubts about the YEO though because although i know that its a classic choice for CPEN, there's a lot of people mentioning that it didn't really feel good enough for the 40+ ball
I have a YEO. My experience is that it is very good when I commit to my strokes and when I do soft touches. In the middle gear I feel a little difficult to control (could be the rubbers). So it depends on your playing style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hao 2 is much more pleasant to use than YEO.

I actually don’t like the YEO that much because it feels weird at times.

Infinity VPS is a good 5ply blade. Amazing for looping too.

7 ply blades that I have tried are too stiff in my opinion. PG7 took a long time for it to break in but was pretty good after the fact.

Rosewood series is superb. I’ve heard good things with acoustic as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021

I would recommend staying with Jpen and TPB. I’m part of the contingent of penholders who feel that playing TPB produces a higher level of challenge, satisfaction and excitement over modern penhold. Newer isn’t always better.
If you still choose to go forward, as with Jpen, I would highly recommend seriously looking at Darker.

Aug 2019
I would recommend staying with Jpen and TPB. I’m part of the contingent of penholders who feel that playing TPB produces a higher level of challenge, satisfaction and excitement over modern penhold. Newer isn’t always better.
If you still choose to go forward, as with Jpen, I would highly recommend seriously looking at Darker.
im not quitting JPEN, it will just take the backseat to CPEN

I have a YEO. My experience is that it is very good when I commit to my strokes and when I do soft touches. In the middle gear I feel a little difficult to control (could be the rubbers). So it depends on your playing style.
sounds like it might actually gel well with the playstyle i have when i play JPEN. i like powerplay, third ball attacks and stupidly tight short game

i also play close to the table

well darn, might as well buy a YEO and try it anyway considering the price

but i can get a goiabao 5 cheaper than a YEO, im just concerned if it would be too fast for me

im in a tricky situation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021

sounds like it might actually gel well with the playstyle i have when i play JPEN. i like powerplay, third ball attacks and stupidly tight short game

but i can get a goiabao 5 cheaper than a YEO, im just concerned if it would be too fast for me

im in a tricky situation
Well, I would just recommend you changing your seating order😄

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021

im in a tricky situation
Wishing you good playing!👍

Aug 2019
Well, I would just recommend you changing your seating order😄
haha we'll see

it is admittedly not rly my first time trying to switch to CPEN

i have a Sanwei Fextra 7 CPEN with me. however, i really hated playing with it but it could be due to the rubber. battle 2 provincial on FH and focus 3 snipe on BH. blade with the 2 rubbers on weighs 181g total. perhaps its just that my blade is too heavy?

i was thinking that maybe a different blade would feel better than my Fextra 7, lighter too.