Returning player looking for a right equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
I (24 y. o.) was still a beginner-intermediate player when I had to pause my training and matches because of school. Now with increasing free time my desire to develop has risen again. I competed in regional (the lowest possible) level so my opponents are mostly people who push and chop and they are mostly older with lower mobility and started again this year.

My 1st equipment (4 years old) is:

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon
FH: Andro Hexer Grip 1.9 mm
BH: Andro Hexer Grip 1.7 mm

and 2nd 3 years old:
Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Andro Hexer Grip SFX 1.9 mm
BH: Andro Hexer Grip SFX 1.7 mm

I currently find the 2nd a bit slow, however, I have a problem with footwork and timing. I find it difficult to force myself to loop pushes and chops, I am afraid I use too much force and overloop the table or simply play in the net. When I force myself, it goes pretty easily and mostly hit the table, even with the 1st equip.
I really like to control where the ball goes and play with the force from simple drive and push to looping. I am no fan of hitting hard and smashing, I kinda find it uncontrollable and usually overhit the table. I love to play further from the table, however, I don't like not being in a charge of the pace (so no defending), but I like returning balls from smashes at the edge of the play zone. We do not currently have any coaches who would teach us strokes, help us find gear etc.

Are there any recommendations for gear which could help me to develop further and to win against these pushers and choppers. My eyes are currently on Andro Novacell ALL/S or some OFF- blade + Grip on FH and Powergrip SFX on BH or Rasanter R37 + R42, however, I would like to know it there is someone who goes through similar situation or has pleasant experience as a developing semi-intermediate player on lower competitions with some equip and has something to recommend 😄.
Thank you 😊.

Sounds like your equipment is too fast for you. You need something slower. That will enable you to hit harder. A Yasaka Mark V on either of those blades will be perfect. Then when you start to feel confident upgrade to Yasaka Rakza 7 and go from there. You will not need a faster blade for a long time.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022

Thanks for your advice. I have already tried Mark V, however, it was it the times when celluloids were used. I have been playing with tensored rubbers after the plastic revolution, I went from Rasant Beat to Rakza 7 Soft to current equipment. I would say with the Beat I had the best results, however, they are discontinued so I tried to go with R7S which was kinda spin sensitive and I liked to block a lot so I switched to Hexers.
So if I were about to try Mark V, would it be slower than Hexer Grip SFX? And should I go for both sides with it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Your second setup is already good enough for everything you want to do.
I have a few team mates with that Novacell blade and Rasanter R37 rubbers on it. They really like the cherry ready controllability off it.
I don't think that a change would be worth it though.

Regarding attacking pushes, you simply have to force yourself to attack those balls and if successful often enough it will become second nature to do it. I am in the same situation that instinctively in doubt I would push back a long push off the opponent instead of attacking it, but recently after forcing myself i attack these balls more often and more successful.
Good luck

Gesendet von meinem SM-G998B mit Tapatalk