Serving Strategy

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I have been told, the ultimate strategy is to vary your serves, disguise them by making the contact look the same as each serve.

- Ball placement is vital. Try serving ball so that the second bounce reaches the white line of the table. The player will not know whether to recevie with a push or top spin. In return you shouuld get a long ball / or weak return.

- Try serving to the middle of the table short into the opponents cross over (elbow). Opponent is'nt to sure whether to use his backhand or forhand, thus creating a weak receive.

Look in this thread for more tips http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?537-Video-Service-practice&highlight=serving

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To keep the ball low, it helps to get low. If you are contacting the ball at a point that is higher than you want it to go, it will bounce higher than you want. Placing something over the net so that you only have a small window between the net and what is above it and practicing getting the serve between the net and the obstacle forces you to keep the serve low. This is a video that shows what I mean.
There are other videos that show people who have set something up so you do not need someone holding the racket over the net. But notice the hight of the contact point for Liu, Ma and Wang. They all contact the ball pretty low.

If you are serving from the backhand side of the table and using pendulum type serves, every so often giving a no-spin or topspin serve short to the deep forehand gives you and easy setup as long as the no-spin or topspin look like underspin. Mixing things up so you are serving long with wide angles to both sides, and at the crossing point, and short to the crossing point, and to the deep forehand and backhand but not giving easy serves where the ball is not long or short, will keep your opponent guessing where the ball will go next. But it is worth having an idea where your opponent will put your serve back so you are thinking two moves ahead and can respond to what your opponent does more effectively.

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Use a pendulum serve. You can execute about 10 different services with pendulum with your opponent only knowing which way the ball is going to go and what spin it will have at the last fraction of a second...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
I know Ma Long does short side-under and dead ball services with the last bounce on the white line which is relatively hard. I'll try that Dan. Btw, where do i brush the ball to achieve side-under spin? And i thought you can achieve only side,under and top spin services with Pendulum? Any other types of services with the ability to vary it easily? Thanks for your help!