Shoes without heightened heel

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I cant seem to find any information about the height difference between heel and toe in table tennis shoes. I think football shoes has zero drop, but the indoor versions usually have a heightened heel. Do you guys know any table tennis shoes, or any light weight indoor shoe that has zero drop?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Well, not exactly zero drop but I do prefer the Mizuno Medal series instead of their Drive series because of the lower difference between heel and toe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I like these.

I don't recommend them in the usual "shoes discusssions", because they are comparatively "low-level", harder, and not as grippy as the concurrence. I just happen to like these a lot. I don't mind harder "polstering", and if I need more grip, I use different shoes. Yes, zero drop.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Has anyone tried using barefoot shoes like vivobarefoot primus lite iii, some model from xero shoes or similar? Would these shoes struggle structurally with the lateral movement or do you think people that have worked themselves into using shoes like this are able to support better side movements because of the widened feet?

I bought the Mizuno Wave Drive 8 and switched back to my minimalist 170 grams running shoes (Adidas Takumi Sen 1) because I was starting to get knee problems and I didnt know if it was the shoes or what. The problem is that I have had these shoes for indoor working out for maybe more than 10 years and they are starting to fall apart. As you can understand, I am very particular about my equipment. The shoes I am wearing has gone out of production a long time ago. I am also considering leather shoes from vivobarefoot, like the Ra iii, to further increase lifetime of the shoe, but I would prefer something a bit lighter.

Honestly, I would love to be allowed to play without shoes, but I guess it would just make for a whole lot of explaining every time I show up to an event, and I would have to clean the floor after me or something xD

I bet even boxing shoes and other types of minimalist footwear would be a good contender to the shoes that table tennis players normally wear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I use the Xero HFS and ordered the new Xero Knit.
I think they are great for table tennis.

For some dampening I am using a thick foam insole from Joe Nimble.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Has anyone tried using barefoot shoes like vivobarefoot primus lite iii, some model from xero shoes or similar? Would these shoes struggle structurally with the lateral movement or do you think people that have worked themselves into using shoes like this are able to support better side movements because of the widened feet?

I bought the Mizuno Wave Drive 8 and switched back to my minimalist 170 grams running shoes (Adidas Takumi Sen 1) because I was starting to get knee problems and I didnt know if it was the shoes or what. The problem is that I have had these shoes for indoor working out for maybe more than 10 years and they are starting to fall apart. As you can understand, I am very particular about my equipment. The shoes I am wearing has gone out of production a long time ago. I am also considering leather shoes from vivobarefoot, like the Ra iii, to further increase lifetime of the shoe, but I would prefer something a bit lighter.

Honestly, I would love to be allowed to play without shoes, but I guess it would just make for a whole lot of explaining every time I show up to an event, and I would have to clean the floor after me or something xD

I bet even boxing shoes and other types of minimalist footwear would be a good contender to the shoes that table tennis players normally wear.
There is a lot of discussion on tennis forums about minimalist shoes. You might want to check those out. Some people use Merrel and Vivo for tennis so it should probably work for too. One thing to be mindful of is to find some with non-marking soles since some clubs require it on harder flooring.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
couldn't you look at crossfit style shoes like the reebok nano...i haven't had a pair in several years but i don't remember big offsets

also take my word with a grain of salt, table tennis shoes aren't my thing, so i don't know whats good vs bad, i always wear low cut basketball shoes for playing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
couldn't you look at crossfit style shoes like the reebok nano...i haven't had a pair in several years but i don't remember big offsets

also take my word with a grain of salt, table tennis shoes aren't my thing, so i don't know whats good vs bad, i always wear low cut basketball shoes for playing
reebok nano looks way too pointy for my wide feet. I am currently trying out toe spacers even, which help my toes splay out naturally and give more balance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
There is a lot of discussion on tennis forums about minimalist shoes. You might want to check those out. Some people use Merrel and Vivo for tennis so it should probably work for too. One thing to be mindful of is to find some with non-marking soles since some clubs require it on harder flooring.
Yea, I kinda figured they were all non-marking since it didnt say anything about it and I figured such a popular gym-shoe had to be non-marking, right? The vivobarefoot primus light iii, I mean.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
reebok nano looks way too pointy for my wide feet. I am currently trying out toe spacers even, which help my toes splay out naturally and give more balance.
It’s been awhile but when I had my nanos, the toe box was actually pretty wide

I have toe spacers for bunion but I don’t wear them while doing athletic activities and mostly during the week

Right now I’m loving the adidas Don issue 4 for wider forefoot but I use them for basketball and not table tennis so I don’t know how they’d transfer over

Reactions: z0uLess