So I just got a gift - a Timo Ball ALC blade. what rubbers should I get? (for Control)

This user has no status.
So I've been playing with a Nittaku Acoustic all-wood blade for a couple of years, with G-1 on both sides. I love it and I'm improving steadily.

I got a suprise and got gifted a Timo Ball ALC blade - which is a great gift and a great blade I'm sure but probably too fast for me at the moment.

What rubbers can I glue on it to emphasis control?
which rubbres fit this blade structure and compliment it's Characteristics?

Trying to make the leap feel more natural, even if just for a short trial time period.
 
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,760
1,711
5,667
Read 2 reviews
use the same rubbers (G-1 in your case), don't go with too many changes on your equipment.
I'd agree with this. Just make one change at a time and adapt to it. Don't use an offensive blade if you're gonna use control rubbers; what's the point?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nash77
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2025
226
339
971
Depends how actively you're willing to play. I would definitely keep the G1 on your preferred attacking wing.

If you have a wing that you are less confident on, a more controlled rubber is fine there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nash77
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,760
1,711
5,667
Read 2 reviews
Depends how actively you're willing to play. I would definitely keep the G1 on your preferred attacking wing.

If you have a wing that you are less confident on, a more controlled rubber is fine there.
Based on what I've felt with G-1 vs C-1, if he has to change, then putting C-1 on the weaker wing is probably reasonable. I'm sure there's other differences but it felt like "G-1 but less" to me, and it should just be a G-1 with a little bit softer sponge, so maybe that's enough to take some edge off.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Apr 2014
1,880
1,462
3,426
Read 3 reviews
I'd agree with this.
Me too.
Maybe even use the exact same rubbers from the current blade. Can´t get any closer to really finding out what the blade does and it avoids switching back and forth from old blade to new blade.

And if the blade is too fast then it´s too fast - balancing that out with rubbers until the whole thing fits can be a long, expensive and potentially frustrating process.
 
This user has no status.
Synergy between rubber and blade is a thing though especially for such different blades
that was the logic behind my original question.

Are there rubbers with better synergy to Timo ball ALC then G1?
Rubbers that will provide good control and feel \ results with this specific blade?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Apr 2014
1,880
1,462
3,426
Read 3 reviews
Synergy between rubber and blade is a thing though especially for such different blades
This is true, but what makes a good synergy is a personal thing, not a general thing.

So to find out if G1 works with ALC for the OP, he´d need to try, which makes a lot more sense than trying something that somebody thinks would theoretically work better with the blade, for them.

If the combination does not work, it might even be down to the blade (feeling of handle, weight, balance) and it might be necessary to go back. Or it might be time for a different rubber. But not just yet.
 
Last edited:
Top