Soft rubber for backhand - Advice for attacking player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
hi togehter,

we are looking for a new backhand rubber for one of my better students.
he is an both sides offensive player, stronger forehand, weaker backhand.
his level is around 1700US rating.
he plays an Innerforce ALC blade, and a Andro Hexer Grip (45deg.) rubber on his forehand side.

his game on backhand side is more an all round-attacking style. playing close to the table.
often he uses his backhand more strategically to bring his forehand in position.

we are looking for a soft rubber for his backhand side (maybe 36-39 degrees?).
the main focus points are:

- easy opening BH topspin / loop on backspin
- good blocking qualities
- low spin sensitivity
- good placement qualitites

not so important:
- high speed
- highest spin potential

==

Rubbers I found and sound interesting:
- Andro Hexer Powersponge (around 37 degrees?)
- Andro Impuls Powersponge
- Tibhar Aurus Sound
- Tibhar Nimbus Sound
- Donic Acuda S3
- Donic Desto F3 / F4

Can you please give me some help which one of these rubbers would fit best for the characteristics we are looking for?
If someone is able to describe some differences, this would be really great.

Thanks a lot

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Rozena has around 45 (equivalent) degrees, as mentioned we are looking for a soft rubber around 36-39 degrees.
Rozena + booster oil = mushy toofoo rubber. Frustrate your opponent because every returned ball will be a drop-shot near the net or an out right net ball...😘😘😘

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am using Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX (max thickness) - its 42.5 degrees sponge and it fulfills all the requirements which OP has listed. It doesn't bottoms out on hitting hard, pushing long and short are possible, looping is quite easy as well as the drive and punches on high balls are also good enough. I used to play with 05FX on the backhand which again is 42.5 degrees and I switched to Donic Acuda S2 which again is very good rubber. Out of the 3 - my pick would be Hexer Powergrip SFX and Acuda S2, both have very good life with 6-8 hours of practice/play per week.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
My first vote is Rozena. Second vote is Xiom Vega Europe. Third vote is Rakza 7 soft.

I would stick with Rozena.
I played with Rozena for 90mins solo practice on the rebounding board yesterday. Rozena has that familiar feel of T05, it is truly the lite version of T05. It is also a tad bit slower than T05 which is not a bad thing. It allows those with poorer footwork that extra milliseconds to get into better position to execute their topspin stroke.

Other than that, the feel, the sound, gives you a sense of familiarity.

Rozena coz' you are out of juice & pay-cheque or daddy's pocket-money is two weeks away still.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I played with Rozena for 90mins solo practice on the rebounding board yesterday. Rozena has that familiar feel of T05, it is truly the lite version of T05. It is also a tad bit slower than T05 which is not a bad thing. It allows those with poorer footwork that extra milliseconds to get into better position to execute their topspin stroke.

Other than that, the feel, the sound, gives you a sense of familiarity.

Rozena coz' you are out of juice & pay-cheque or daddy's pocket-money is two weeks away still.
Rozena is an under-rated rubber. Plus Butterfly actually prices it pretty well.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Rozena is an under-rated rubber. Plus Butterfly actually prices it pretty well.
Yesterday I brought my Rozena to my former coach and hit some loops-a-loops with him for like 30 mins. He, too uses a 10.5mm one ply hinoki ( Butterfly Kim Taek Soo JPen ) and he has been a T05 dude all his professional career.

So, these are his comments:
1. Rozena is slow.
2. Rozena is not spinny enough.

Nonetheless I could still feel the familiar trampolinish feeling of Butterfly Spring Sponge. Yes, it is not as spinny as T05 which I am sure is by design to make the top-sheet less grippy as to make it less spin sensitive. Hence the Butterfly's term " TOLERANCE "

It may be slow for his standard, but for me, I personally feel it is more than enough for club level play aka non-professional / recreational / social / exercise play level.

Last edited:
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Yesterday I brought my Rozena to my former coach and hit some loops-a-loops with him for like 30 mins. He, too uses a 10.5mm one ply hinoki ( Butterfly Kim Taek Soo JPen ) and he has been a T05 dude all his professional career.

So, these are his comments:
1. Rozena is slow.
2. Rozena is not spinny enough.

Nonetheless I could still feel the familiar trampolinish feeling of Butterfly Spring Sponge. Yes, it is not as spinny as T05 which I am sure is by design to make the top-sheet less grippy as to make it less spin sensitive. Hence the Butterfly's term " TOLERANCE "

It may be slow for his standard, but for me, I personally feel it is more than enough for club level play aka non-professional / recreational / social / exercise play level.
Agree. Rozena is spin insensitive (relatively). And it is fast enough for most club level players and even some league players too. It is a very popular rubber in Japan for a reason.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am using Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX (max thickness) - its 42.5 degrees sponge and it fulfills all the requirements which OP has listed. It doesn't bottoms out on hitting hard, pushing long and short are possible, looping is quite easy as well as the drive and punches on high balls are also good enough. I used to play with 05FX on the backhand which again is 42.5 degrees and I switched to Donic Acuda S2 which again is very good rubber. Out of the 3 - my pick would be Hexer Powergrip SFX and Acuda S2, both have very good life with 6-8 hours of practice/play per week.
My recommendations are pretty much in line with @KM1976 ...

Shakehand BH is good to have a softer modern dynamic control oriented 42-43 degree sponged rubber. (or older soft sponged control oriented offensive rubber) Easy to generate spin, easy to handle incoming spin with your stroke, easy to make pace with grip firming and get the bat engaged on those strong shots, easy to put that first shot where you are trying to.

THAT is a definition of control.

I can use a hundred different rubbers in that class. The one I currently use is Aurus soft. I can do every damn thing with it very well. Not world beating, but damn well and I do not feel like I will miss under pressure, not even thinking if ball is gunna miss.

You have to be able to rely on your rubber under pressure and with the missile launcher rubber, you gunna miss more under pressure... but what thye heck, if you not using what the pros use, you a loser anyway, right?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
hi togehter,

we are looking for a new backhand rubber for one of my better students.
he is an both sides offensive player, stronger forehand, weaker backhand.
his level is around 1700US rating.
he plays an Innerforce ALC blade, and a Andro Hexer Grip (45deg.) rubber on his forehand side.

his game on backhand side is more an all round-attacking style. playing close to the table.
often he uses his backhand more strategically to bring his forehand in position.

we are looking for a soft rubber for his backhand side (maybe 36-39 degrees?).
the main focus points are:

- easy opening BH topspin / loop on backspin
- good blocking qualities
- low spin sensitivity
- good placement qualitites

not so important:
- high speed
- highest spin potential

==

Rubbers I found and sound interesting:
- Andro Hexer Powersponge (around 37 degrees?)
- Andro Impuls Powersponge
- Tibhar Aurus Sound
- Tibhar Nimbus Sound
- Donic Acuda S3
- Donic Desto F3 / F4

Can you please give me some help which one of these rubbers would fit best for the characteristics we are looking for?
If someone is able to describe some differences, this would be really great.

Thanks a lot
Forget about the soft BH rubbers, teach him how to play with a hard rubber instead

Reactions: BHSlap and Crillo