Soft rubbers suggestions - cheaper alternatives to Vega Europe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Hi All,

I am looking for some suggestions on soft rubbers, similar to but cheaper than Xiom Vega Europe.
Vega Europe is actually good value itself, but I was wondering if I could find something similar at a lower price.

Just some additional info about myself. I would say I am an intermediate-level player.
I recently changed the grip from shakehand to RPB penholder. Still experiencing and I might eventually go back to shakehand grip.
I feel that so far playing penholder is helping me to improve my attacks with the forehand (or to be precise, to get in the right mindset to use my forehand to attack), and also the RPB feels great.
The main issue I am facing is with backhand blocks.
While when playing shakehand I feel comfortable using a relevantly hard rubber (razka z) on my backhand, with RPB I find it very difficult to execute blocks and control the hits from the opponent.
That's why I am after soft rubbers.
I am currently using a YEO7 power but I might consider swapping to Sanwei Fextra (which is the blade I already use when playing shakehand)
Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I think you should start practicing your backhand with a softer, slower rubber that isn't too spin sensitive, as you need to build up the technique. After a while you might want to go more advanced. That's just my thought.

Check out Palio AK47 Blue or 729 Focus III Snipe 42deg.

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
You need something soft and light on your BH.

729 Aurora, Snipe III and Bloom power are all good value for money.
Probably not Bloom power, my experience with it is that it is slow and tacky, only excels on active strokes. It is a typical Chinese FH rubber. Also it is only available in 45 or 47 degrees, both slightly harder than Vega Europe (42.5 degrees).
Snipe III is good and it's very light, I will also recommend that. Palio CJ8000 and Rxton 1 should work too, if you want to save a few bucks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I am going to go off the trail a bit. Of note, I used to play penhold for 20 years before switching to shakehand full time 5 years ago.

Neottec Katana from TT11. It is cheaper than Xiom Vega Europe. It is built in Japan. Max sponge is out of stock but if you are doing reverse penhold, you want the blade light anyway. 2.0mm and 2.1mm sponge is still in stock.

I have one penhold paddle I fool around with. forehand is, of course H3 neo. What do you expect? I am a hurricane lover. Backhand on the reverse penhold side is Fastarc C-1. Whenever I play with that blade, I really really like the C-1 there. I can reassure you C-1 (and G-1) are very very durable. Yes C-1 is about the same price as Xiom Vega Europe if not more, but if you like it, you can use it for a long time. I tihnk G-1 would be too dense and too hard/heavy for reverse penhold

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Aurus Soft - you can do everything with it... and if you buy at tabletennis11.com with enough of an order, you get it for under $30 USD a sheet.

Tibhar FX-D - VERY dynamic, you can overpower topspin with it, so also make you own heavy or blast shot. Very modern dynamic soft sponged rubber. $33 USD a sheet if you buy enough.

Bluestorm Z3 - a rubber right in between Aurus Soft and FX-D... and with more grip to more easily lift underspin on first opening attack.

All these rubbers last a damn long time... especially Aurus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Thanks all for the input.
I think I'll give a try to the 729 focus III, but keep into account all the other rubbers suggested for the future.

Reactions: Trevize84