Special Question Outdoor vs Indoor Table

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
So I have a more complicated question, I am looking for the best ball bounce in a outdoor/indoor possible for the following circumstances.

I will use the table tennis OUTSIDE on Grass, but I will store it in a protected shelter while its not being used.

Considering the floor is soft and might affect the ball bounce drastically, what do you recommend?

Indoor 30mm thickness table tennis OR a 6mm Laminate composite thickness Outdoor table tennis?
Which one will be less affected by the soft grass and produce a similar to indoor club feeling?

I'm thinking 30mm might less affected by soft grass BUT more flexible and still lower bounce, While composite might be thinner but harder and produce higher bounce to compensate for the grass softness? I'm just guessing right now

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
So I have a more complicated question, I am looking for the best ball bounce in a outdoor/indoor possible for the following circumstances.

I will use the table tennis OUTSIDE on Grass, but I will store it in a protected shelter while its not being used.

Considering the floor is soft and might affect the ball bounce drastically, what do you recommend?

Indoor 30mm thickness table tennis OR a 6mm Laminate composite thickness Outdoor table tennis?
Which one will be less affected by the soft grass and produce a similar to indoor club feeling?

I'm thinking 30mm might less affected by soft grass BUT more flexible and still lower bounce, While composite might be thinner but harder and produce higher bounce to compensate for the grass softness? I'm just guessing right now

If you play on grass, nothing you will buy will come close to the club or competition feeling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
If you play on grass, nothing you will buy will come close to the club or competition feeling.
Unless he pours some concrete on grass first :ROFLMAO:

To the OP: why specifically on grass? Is that the only space that can fit the table? If you have a two car garage that should fit quite nicely IMO.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
I would buy an outdoor table. You can leave it outside under the rain or sun and just don't care. With an indoor table if you have water on the top you risk to ruin it. Balls will go on the grass and get wet and dirty. The sun will also alterate the top. It's not UV protected.

The bounce is slightly reduced but it's ok for me. I have a 5mm outdoor table. I use it to practice with a return board.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Well I can put something more solid under the table, my point is to be as close as possible to indoor TT. So I can practice serves and ball feed and so on

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I would buy an outdoor table. You can leave it outside under the rain or sun and just don't care. With an indoor table if you have water on the top you risk to ruin it. Balls will go on the grass and get wet and dirty. The sun will also alterate the top. It's not UV protected.

The bounce is slightly reduced but it's ok for me. I have a 5mm outdoor table. I use it to practice with a return board.

Which model do you have?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Well I can put something more solid under the table, my point is to be as close as possible to indoor TT. So I can practice serves and ball feed and so on
I think there is a chance that you misunderstand me, sorry.
It does matter that much what the table stands on it is where the player is standing that is important. Some square concrete pavers, maybe 1" thick is ok for the table to stand on but when it come to the players , they never stand, they always move, only for the serves we stand then it is all go go go

This user has no status.
I bought a Cornilleau 600X. It's they're top of the line. It has a great bounce, but it is quite pricey. My biggest disappointment was when I placed a level across it, I found out that it was concave and not completely flat. It's not something you notice during play but still a bummer for such an expensive table. That being said I still think I would purchase it again before I would buy an indoor table for outdoor use. Mine is in a garage but I'm in Florida and I think the humidity alone would take it's toll.

Reactions: Tiber1337
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree on the points above.
the environment could decide outdoor table or not.
Its not so much of the bounce, but if the table will change over time due to the environment.

If you would like to get as closed to indoor, then it is advice to try and really make it indoor

Ie, if moisture getting into your table (not just table top), your bounce will also be affected.

Another issue would be wind that will affect the bounce