Spin and speed comparison of rubber/ply [video]

I always think that with softer sponge you will have more dwell time, thus creates more spin. I guess it is the other way around.
The grip has a lot do with it as well as as the strike power. A harder rubber will more likely have a higher top end spin
at hard strokes but a soft rubber is more likely to generate more spin at a soft stroke.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Why?
Can any of you justify any of this or are you just repeating myths?
No one has answered my questions for 14 years now.
I can see that no one is really THINKING about what happens during contact.

If soft is good, why not make it softer? If hard is good, why not make it harder?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
For my comment above, it is based on the chart shown by Butterfly:
Rubber with harder sponge (T05 vs. T05 FX, and Sriver's variants) are shown to have more spin (horizontal axis). My comment is based on that (chart shown by BTY).

Regarding choices of softer to hard sponges, I choose not on the based of the spin produced (solely), but by the feel of the final set-up (rubbers + blade), meaning that I try to harmonize my rubbers with the blade that I use. For example: If I use soft and flexible blade, I would choose harder sponge. If I use hard and stiff blade, I would choose softer sponge. But overall, based on how the rubbers feel with my current blade. Generally, I usually choose the middle ground. For example: If it's Sriver, then I would choose Sriver EL, instead of Sriver FX or Sriver.

For the rubber itself, beside hardness of sponge, top sheet plays a significant role as well (tacky, grippy, anti-spin and in between).