Stop dreaming and start playing - rubbers for improvement ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Hi everyone,

Long time I did not post anything here, a little background of me : played some TT in a small Chinese club when I was 13/14, no experience in competitions, did many multi-balls with private coach.
Never went to a club in Europe (currently living in France), I played sometimes with friends but nothing serious.
Now, I'm playing in a club at the age of 30 (never too late I guess) and I want to play competitive TT seriously.
I used to play with an old Viscaria and H3 provincial forehand and Tenergy 05 backhand : obviously this setup is a big mistake, just wanted to copy all the Chinese stars setups, too fast, not the best feeling for learning and improving. Of couse I can hit really good forehands and backhands with a robot or a person feeding me easy balls but in matchs situations it's more complicated.

Now I am playing with Butterfly Innerforce ALC, it is slower with more feeling/control and I feel like I can keep this blade for a long moment and improve a lot.
Rubbers I tried : H3 on FH and BH -> a lot of spin, control and speed good BUT you need to in be shape and have a good positioning on each ball. It is not forgiving, you have to care a lot about opponent's effects so it can be very frustrating for me. Solution ? keep this setup and work very hard on my physical condition/skills and try to master it.
I also played for one month with a HL5 of a friend with Mantra H/M 2.1mm on FH and BH, I feel like I play better with EUR/JAP rubbers but Mantra H 2.1 is too fast, Mantra M is better on FH for me.
I am considering using Mantra M 2.1 (or maybe thinner?) on forehand on my Innerforce ALC (it is slower than HL5, so it should be even more controllable) and for my backhand I don't know. I tried Rozena on my backhand, I did not like it.

Is someone using Innerforce ALC and has rubbers recommendations for me ?

The rubbers that I would like to try : Andro Rasanters series (with energy-cell), Nittaku Fastarc and Stiga DNA Pro series. I just don't know which one to try (hardness/thickness I should use?).

Thanks for help :)

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hi everyone,

Long time I did not post anything here, a little background of me : played some TT in a small Chinese club when I was 13/14, no experience in competitions, did many multi-balls with private coach.
Never went to a club in Europe (currently living in France), I played sometimes with friends but nothing serious.
Now, I'm playing in a club at the age of 30 (never too late I guess) and I want to play competitive TT seriously.
I used to play with an old Viscaria and H3 provincial forehand and Tenergy 05 backhand : obviously this setup is a big mistake, just wanted to copy all the Chinese stars setups, too fast, not the best feeling for learning and improving. Of couse I can hit really good forehands and backhands with a robot or a person feeding me easy balls but in matchs situations it's more complicated.

Now I am playing with Butterfly Innerforce ALC, it is slower with more feeling/control and I feel like I can keep this blade for a long moment and improve a lot.
Rubbers I tried : H3 on FH and BH -> a lot of spin, control and speed good BUT you need to in be shape and have a good positioning on each ball. It is not forgiving, you have to care a lot about opponent's effects so it can be very frustrating for me. Solution ? keep this setup and work very hard on my physical condition/skills and try to master it.
I also played for one month with a HL5 of a friend with Mantra H/M 2.1mm on FH and BH, I feel like I play better with EUR/JAP rubbers but Mantra H 2.1 is too fast, Mantra M is better on FH for me.
I am considering using Mantra M 2.1 (or maybe thinner?) on forehand on my Innerforce ALC (it is slower than HL5, so it should be even more controllable) and for my backhand I don't know. I tried Rozena on my backhand, I did not like it.

The rubbers that I would like to try : Andro Rasanters series (with energy-cell), Nittaku Fastarc and Stiga DNA Pro series. I just don't know which one to try (hardness/thickness I should use?).

it is a cheap way to try out if it works for you or not : Try Loki RXTON 5 on both FH and BH. I use them with
1 layer of Seamoon, standard version.

Reactions: [email protected]
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I recommend Fastarc G or C1 to anyone looking for a forgiving but offensive rubber that is controllable.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi everyone,

If you like Euro/Jap rubbers that aren’t too fast but still have a high performance, D09C will be your first choice if you can afford it. In short game and block its control is pretty decent, but still less than H3.

R53 has a thin soft topsheet giving you very nice control and feedback.

I have played these two rubbers and high recommend them. Both can create massive spin without too much effort.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Recently I paid serious attention to H3 Neo prov OS(slightly boosted) and I really like its control and spin variation. Even when I am out of position to attack with full power I can still keep the ball on the table with a good placement and deceptive spin, but even the best CNT guys don't always hit the ball with a full throttle-sometimes they just block, push or just put the ball wherever they can with a medium pace
I played a few times with a friend's IF ALC/PK50/RZ and really liked it, but I suspect I would like it even more with the H3N Pro. If you dont want a tacky one, the G1 looks like an excellent option You can't go wrong with R48 or Rakza X as well....just to mention a few

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Definitely Fastarc c-1. if you ever need more speed and your technique is good enough, you can go g-1 or t05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Thanks for your replies! What about the thickness of these rubbers ? Should I go for the max version or lower such as 2.0mm or lower ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think that the hurricanes could be good for your developement if you have the patience. Slow and need to make your own power with the body and if they are hard then you need to move alot as well. Then if you decide to use european rubbers you will find it easier.