Switch from ma long 5 to viscaria

This user has no status.
Hello everyone,

at the moment I play with a ma long 5 blade and 2 el p evolution rubbers on it. my playing style is mainly offensive.

in the passive game I am mainly a blocker but I can really over-spin, only I have to oblige myself in some way to keep spinning.

the problem is that I often stop playing actively when I avoid, which makes it exciting again in the match. to keep myself playing a bit more actively I thought to take a faster wood. I am mainly thinking of viscaria.

my playing style is mainly slow opening with a lot of effect (vh) and then mainly standing in the 2nd line to keep attacking. forehand spin and back hand punch.

thanks in advance for helping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It’s quite the opposite. If you are not constantly active you shouldn’t change to a faster set-up. Too-fast equipment actually tends to make you even more passive as it’s harder to follow/keep up with the pace of the shots. I’ve seen so many club players using too fast equipments and holding their power back ‘cause they can’t get the touch right.

Try a slower one that you feel comfy to swing yourself in all the time.

just my 2 cents :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
It’s quite the opposite. If you are not constantly active you shouldn’t change to a faster set-up. Too-fast equipment actually tends to make you even more passive as it’s harder to follow/keep up with the pace of the shots. I’ve seen so many club players using too fast equipments and holding their power back ‘cause they can’t get the touch right.

Agreed more power comes from body and technique than from any equipment. As Dima Ovtcharov said during the Ovtharov No.1 Senso review. Slower equipment gives you more when In an actual game and you are under pressure. If a piece of equipment gives you more confidence to hit the ball with all you have, it will probably more powerful in the actual game.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hey man i am using w968 with 09c both sides. So basically same as you.My game has gone up a few notches. So much control and slow brush loops are so spinny.And it’s a beast to counterloop. Just love this combo.
I agree that you should just change your rubber. Maybe try evolution MX-P or Andro Rasanter R48.

(I’m currently using the HL5 with Dignics 09c and liking it a lot, but that’s totally different from what you are using and also slower. But... monster spin)

Reactions: BryanY
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Completely agree with you. I used to use timo boll alc and viscaria before. Changed to joola aruna off and now dhs w968.They have so much more control. And lot of power when I swing hard.Slower equipment indeed gives you more speed as you are more confident
Agreed more power comes from body and technique than from any equipment. As Dima Ovtcharov said during the Ovtharov No.1 Senso review. Slower equipment gives you more when In an actual game and you are under pressure. If a piece of equipment gives you more confidence to hit the ball with all you have, it will probably more powerful in the actual game.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Completely agree.

Slower equipment that keeps the ball on the table, is controlable and doesn't overshoot, gives you more confidence and makes you play more actively.

I used to play with a TB ALC w/ MX-P on both sides and loved it in FH to FH and BH to BH practice rallies but that was the extent of it. Then I switched to a Korbel, same rubbers, more things started happening in matches. Now a Primorac with Rozena's and I'm more daring than ever, looping, flipping, attacking most balls instead of pushing.

Last edited: