Tenergy 05 or 05fx?

Hi TTD peeps,

I feel that my technique has improved and I'm finally going to give the T05 a try on my forehand.

I've tended to go mid or mid soft so far (nimbus sound, gewo nexus pro 38, aurus sound etc) so I'm wondering which version of T05 I should try out as I've been told that the normal version might be too big a jump?
I've read that the fx version is quite bouncy and difficult to control so I'm unsure which version to try?
any advice?

Thanks.

I just did and after a few weeks everything about my game improved except for the short game, it still suffers but I’m OK with this. I have so much more fun. I was playing mostly with Rakza 7 and this is a significantly slower rubber. Expect to change tha angle of attack. I first went for 05 FX on both sides, but knowing what I know now I should have gone straight for 05 on FH. 05 FX is still a good match for my BH. It also depends what blade You are using. I’m using a blade which is on border of off- and off.

Cheers
L-zr

soft rubber (t05fx) allow more control in general aspects but especially on blocks and away from table defense, also flat hits like backhand punch (this stroke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkP9zEzp5)
and is more easier to generate spin but not have the same amount of spin as a harder rubber

more harder rubber (t05 and t05hard) have more offensive potential (topspin and loop) and is faster, when hit hard the capability of generate spin is more than soft.

images
images
images

Last edited:
soft rubber (t05fx) allow more control in general aspects but especially on blocks and away from table defense, also backhand punch block.harder rubber (t05) have more offensive potential (topspin and loop) and is faster
Yes, but not by much. I think the feel (or dwell) is more important. The question is a bit mushy or a bit hardish.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: davizoosk
Yes, but not by much. I think the feel (or dwell) is more important. The question is a bit mushy or a bit hardish.

Cheers
L-zr

you are right but i not used this topic because 05fx not feel mushy for the most people, is more hardish feel but still soft rubber. if we talk about other rubbes i think is more mushy x hardish

Reactions: Lazer
You'll get better advice after posting a video of your gameplay obviously. In absence of that, T05 FX is a safe choice based on our description. Unless you play in a top division of your local league and/or are band 4 or above standard.

even some top players from my local use soft rubbers on bh, is not a matter of level and yes the playstyle, even kreanga used 05fx. soft rubbers are just more control oriented on most cases.

you are right but i not used this topic because 05fx not feel mushy for the most people, is more hardish feel but still soft rubber. if we talk about other rubbes i think is more mushy x hardish

If you are saying the feel of T05 FX is hard I can not disagree more. Definitely not, but maybe mushy is a too strong words. It feels soft that’s for sure.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: davizoosk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
If you are saying the feel of T05 FX is hard I can not disagree more. Definitely not, but maybe mushy is a too strong words. It feels soft that’s for sure.

Cheers
L-zr

It definitely feels soft, and on a softer blade like my HL5 it felt mushy as opposed to my Viscaria where I loved the feel.

I just did and after a few weeks everything about my game improved except for the short game, it still suffers but I’m OK with this. I have so much more fun. I was playing mostly with Rakza 7 and this is a significantly slower rubber. Expect to change tha angle of attack. I first went for 05 FX on both sides, but knowing what I know now I should have gone straight for 05 on FH. 05 FX is still a good match for my BH. It also depends what blade You are using. I’m using a blade which is on border of off- and off.

Cheers
L-zr

Hi L-zr

I'll be pairing it with an inner force ALC and I'm leaning towards fx, I'm just worried I might make it too bouncy and really hard in the short push game? Tbh though, at my level the push game tends to be 80% or more on the bh, so maybe I am worrying too much?

Hi L-zr

I'll be pairing it with an inner force ALC and I'm leaning towards fx, I'm just worried I might make it too bouncy and really hard in the short push game? Tbh though, at my level the push game tends to be 80% or more on the bh, so maybe I am worrying too much?

It’s hard to say not knowing your level. But if you have a powerful FH I would go with 05. You can select a 1.7 or 1.9 thickness (I like the 1.9). I own a an innerforce ALC.S a little bit slower and I think it would be a good match. I don’t play much with that blade due to the skinny handle. I am using an SDC blade based on a primorac carbon with the Tamca 5000 layer replaced with a wood layer. It’s still a little too fast for me but I am doing much better it’s only the slow game I am fighting with. My blade is on the low end of off (1442 hz).

Cheers
L-zr

Hi L-zr

I just checked my tables for frequency. The innerforce ALC is listed around 1300 hz. This is an off-, I think it’s a perfect match for T05 on FH. Maybe an T05 FX on BH… This is under the condition that you have a decent intermediate level.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

even some top players from my local use soft rubbers on bh, is not a matter of level and yes the playstyle, even kreanga used 05fx. soft rubbers are just more control oriented on most cases.

I think you misunderstood me. The point is not that softer rubbers cannot be used successfully by top players (though citing Kreanga or Lebesson as example only proves that usage of softer rubbers at that level is an exception) - it's just that T05 FX is easier to use by amateurs, especially at lower levels, than a normal T05.

I just checked my tables for frequency. The innerforce ALC is listed around 1300 hz. This is an off-, I think it’s a perfect match for T05 on FH. Maybe an T05 FX on BH… This is under the condition that you have a decent intermediate level.

Cheers
L-zr

Mine is the ALC.s too.
if we said that I was at the lower end of intermediate, but I am getting help & practice drills with higher level players each week, would you be suggesting the fx version or am I misunderstanding?

Mine is the ALC.s too.
if we said that I was at the lower end of intermediate, but I am getting help & practice drills with higher level players each week, would you be suggesting the fx version or am I misunderstanding?

No, if you are good enough to handle T05 FX you are good enough to handle T05 too. It’s not a huge difference in speed and spin. FX lifts backspin a little bit easier and is a little bit rosier in the short game. If you don’t have a level high enough go for a slower rubber and work you way up. Look for something with a similar hardness but slower. Unfortunately I don’t know much about the rubbers you are using but I assume they are significantly slower…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: dingyibvs
Ok I read up on your rubbers, they are waaay soft and the nimbus sound is slow. the is probably too because of the softness. I don’t think Tenergy is right for you. Go with sonething slower first. How about Xiom Vega Europe on both sides. It’s harder but softer than T05. T05 is ~48. T05 FX is ~43. Nimbus sound is ~32 and the other is ~38. Thats a gigantic difference.
It’s better to take one or two smaller steps first.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
No, if you are good enough to handle T05 FX you are good enough to handle T05 too. It’s not a huge difference in speed and spin. FX lifts backspin a little bit easier and is a little bit rosier in the short game. If you don’t have a level high enough go for a slower rubber and work you way up. Look for something with a similar hardness but slower. Unfortunately I don’t know much about the rubbers you are using but I assume they are significantly slower…

Cheers
L-zr

I don't find the T05FX to be bouncier than the regular T05, it's definitely softer and a bit slower. Both the T05 and the T05FX are on the bouncier side compared to the Dignics series, particularly when compared to the D09C.

I think it works really well on stiffer blades like the Viscaria. It does feel too mushy on my HL5 and YSE, too difficult to control on those blades in quick counters as you hold the ball for too long.

Ok I read up on your rubbers, they are waaay soft and the nimbus sound is slow. the is probably too because of the softness. I don’t think Tenergy is right for you. Go with sonething slower first. How about Xiom Vega Europe on both sides. It’s harder but softer than T05. T05 is ~48. T05 FX is ~43. Nimbus sound is ~32 and the other is ~38. Thats a gigantic difference.
It’s better to take one or two smaller steps first.

Cheers
L-zr

Thanks again L-zr,

I'd been playing more recently with the nexxus pro 38 the softer ones were probably a couple of seasons back now. Is moving from a 38 to a 43 going to be that much of a difference if I stick with the 1.9 which was my plan?

Thanks again L-zr,

I'd been playing more recently with the nexxus pro 38 the softer ones were probably a couple of seasons back now. Is moving from a 38 to a 43 going to be that much of a difference if I stick with the 1.9 which was my plan?

Yes I think so, Tenergy is so expensive that it would be awful to have to remove it early… I would take this in steps. If I were you I would think twice about it. To have a setup which is too fast really stops your development. It’s much better to have one that is a little too slow than too fast…
If your setup is too fast you start holding back , it’s not good. If your setup is too slow it forces you to play out.
Do yourself a favor and wait for next time.

I made a similar journey. When I got my blade from Sergio (SDC) I went back to basics. Mark V -> Mark V HPS -> Rakza 7 (another good option) -> T05 FX on another blade. This blade split and I had to upgrade my other blade I then upgraded to T05 and T05FX. That’s where I am right now.

But we are all different, only you can decide.

Cheers
L-zr