The best wood blade

This user has no status.
I always liked the Primorac Off- blade, I used it as a junior up until the time when I got my first Carbon blade in 2005 which ironically was the Primorac Off+ (I used to love watching Primorac back then) :p

Yeah me too Matt! :) I think it has the right speed for juniors. However i don't believe it's fast enough when you have developed your game, and know the techniques.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
timo boll alc, peter korbel and timo boll off are the best in my opinion

Korbel is all wood but the Timo Boll ALC is not. ALC means Arylate and Carbon so it is not an all wood blade. :) It is a good blade though. On the expensive side but if you can afford it, it is pretty good. The best of the technology blades from Butterfly that I have tried was the Innerforce ZLF. That is a beautiful blade. It has Zylon but no Carbon and has a ton of dwell time, feel and control and great speed too. But it is also not all wood. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
LKT Instinct and Instinct+ for their price and feel :)

The price on the Instinct is hard to beat but it is not really comparable to some of the better wood blades. However, in the end, what you are used to is what is best.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I thought that it was about the best allwood blade not about the blade being pricey or not :)
The Stiga Rosewood and Ebenholz trouly are nice looking blades, but poor manufactured and with a funny film added on the topply. I played the Rosewood, nothing speciel. If you want hard wood as the outerply better go for the Yasaka Extra Special wich I think is a fantastic blade and better than the YEO aswell.
The Violin is still my favourite! Would like to try the Tenor though!!

Hey, I guess everyone has different feeling for their blades. I love the way both the Rosewood and the Ebenholz play. I don't like the 7 plies as much as the 5 though. They are a bit stiff and a bit heavy. The 5 plies have more flex, more dwell time and they are not so heavy.

And I have to admit, I don't really know about the Nittaku blades. I don't think I have hit with ones that were set up so well and I am not sure they were so great. So I would actually have to play with a good Violin and a good Acoustic to have a valid opinion on anything but the price. The Yasaka Extra Offensive and Extra Special are really top notch though.

The "funny film" on the top ply of the Rosewood and Ebenholz is NCT which I believe is basically a carbon crystal lacquer. I think it is between the plies as well. One of the things I have accepted about Stiga blades--I actually like this--is that they are not really finished products. You get them. You sand the rough spots; I file down the wings so that they don't dig into my hand, the way a penhold player might. I like putting a finish on my blades. What I like about Stiga blades is that they play really well. They have great feeling, touch, control and dwell time. They often feel cheap, flimsy, easy to break almost like they are disposable blades (the Ebenholz and Rosewood do not feel like this). But the way they play, their playing characteristics, I really love.

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
@Azlan
I noticed you changed your blade to a 7 ply Stiga hardwood. Which is your primary choice, this blade or the other one (was it Senso carbon)?

I was using the Optimum Carbo, which was very good. I had the Ebenholz for quite sometime, but didn't want to change it until I have the time to get used to it. Now that I do, I find that it have a lot more bite (dwell time) than Optimum Carbo. Crazy blade:)...more spin and speed, but a tad heavier than the Optimum. Beautiful feel for my short games...:)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And, if it is not an issue of price than this is the blade for the eccentric who wants the best all wood blade ever:

DARKER SPEED 90.

No holds barred, that is the best blade I have ever felt for everything except serving. Why would this be an eccentric choice. A 9mm one ply Hinoki blade is a little thick for serving shakehand, and it is a delicate blade. One ply blades sometimes just split in half along the grain of the wood. But the way this blade plays is like a dream.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I only played with 4 different blades, but i have tryed several more from other team mates, and the only two blades i really liked and of corse they suited my stile and feeling.

They were, tibhar samsonov alpha and the butterfly grubba
Butterfly_Andrzej_Grubba__15725_zoom.jpg
59bc89eb19112f10d0182273351db0c3[1].jpg

I played with yasaka overdrive, and butterfly gergely( this one i just played for 1 month)

overdrive i felt like moreless samsonov alpha and grubba, but grubba being slower.

the feel is there you can do everything without having those nasty vibrations from the so called blades that give you feel and control. the gergely was for me like playing with tow sheets of rubber in a frying pan and blind, lots of speed great for killing, drive, smash, loops even bloks, but you just dont feel the ball.

well this is what i felt playing with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Nittaku Violin is the best blade that I ever played with. I have donic Coopa silver on forhend , J.O on bachand ( DONIC ) 2.0 mm bouth rubbers.
I played with same rubbers on Stiga Clipper ( LEGEND ), and must say that Violin is much better. The worst blade i hade was a Donic Waldner Black Devil carbon-no controll, much too fast. I dont know what U guys and girls think but as i see it is better to have a more controlable wood ( blade ) say , off -, or all + for all of us who training 3 times at week. Becouse fast blades does not allow any mistake , or late at the ball, slower blade even with fast rubber has got longer sweet spot and it is easyer to spin, and block , and chop, belive me if U hit hard ball even with def wood it goes fast enough...:) Best regards from table tenis lover in CROATIA.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I play only penhold (with RPB for attacking shots and traditional penhold block for stable blocks) but so far have especially liked 2 blades: OSP Virtuoso Off+ and DHS Hurricane Hao 2. They are quite different in make (thickness, weight, speed and spin) but somehow both work well with my penhold game. Both are not bad in the short game (in my opinion a must for a penhold player) and can generate medium arc when looping with around Off speed. The OSP blade is faster than Hurricane Hao 2 and is very good for traditional penhold blocking, Hurricane Hao 2 (true to the style of Wang Hao) feels better when playing RPB style (if you can do everything like hit, loop, block, flick etc) but I think most amateur players would struggle (in fact with the exception of Wang Hao I don't even know another professional who is 100% comfortable using RPB with penhold, maybe Xu Xin but he definitely doesn't transition between FH and RPB naturally like Wang Hao). I also tried and really like Rosewood NCT V (Xu Xin's previous blade) even though it was a touch too thick and heavy for my taste and lacks a bit of speed mid-distance and beyond. Have also tried Xu Xin's current choice Stiga NCT intensity but didn't like this so much. I have only played table tennis in Sydney for 2 years but I have improved a lot and can play roughly B-grade level in the club comps in Sydney (no idea what this is USAtt, maybe 1600-1800ish?), I realise that to be honest blade and rubber don't make such a big difference as I originally thought, I have tried playing other people's blades and mostly after 1-2 hours you can adjust and play almost to the same level as with your favourite blades. Humans can adjust surprisingly well with adaptations in technique, still we all have our favourite set ups at the end of the day :)