The Chinese Domination of Table Tennis!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I think there is also just a "table tennis culture" in China as there is a "soccer culture" in many European countries , or bicycle . There are no many Chinese Soccer players or bike runner at high level. That can also be the source of a country /continent domination in certain sport. Also for example in Belgium when Jean-Michel Saive was world nr 1 it has also help to put the sport in the highlights here

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
Tbh, it doesn't really matter who is dominating - it's all about the presentation and WTT has dropped the ball big here. For eg Korean dramas and music has close to 0 European/American presence but they have gone real big.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
Have to agree that the coverage from World Championship had been so poor !!! The Camera angles are terrible!!! The lighting is so poor!!! Just doesn't look professional at all !!! Which is really so for a World Championship!!! But it's not going to help attract new people into the sport with such a amateurish coverage of one of our premium events!!!!

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Have to agree that the coverage from World Championship had been so poor !!! The Camera angles are terrible!!! The lighting is so poor!!! Just doesn't look professional at all !!! Which is really so for a World Championship!!! But it's not going to help attract new people into the sport with such a amateurish coverage of one of our premium events!!!!
the camera angle and lighting, is it youtube?
or are you guys also looking at TV broadcast?
the youtube is dark and bad angle
the tv is way better.
One is a fix camera, the other is a proper TV crew moving around

but then again, they used to be able to be on par with each other, this time, youtube to me is a joke

Its not just this time, but the camera angle and "dark" theme has been an issue for some time now

Reactions: Draycott old man
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I don't see Chinese dominance to be a problem for the sport. After all, golf was A LOT more popular when Tiger Woods was at the top and was sweeping all the majors in golf. Another poster also mentioned about Americans' dominance in basketball. When the Dream Team went to the Barcelona Olympics, everyone knew which team was going to win it all. But people were still crazy about watching the actual games. It was just a matter of how many points the dream team was going to win each game.

Before that, only "amateur" athletes could play in the Olympics. After they allowed professionals to compete in the Olympics, basketball became more popular across the globe (not the opposite).

What the problem is how you market the player. Let us be frank, it is much easier to market Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods than Ma Long. It is not about the color of your skin but it is about language barrier.

Let us use tennis as an example. Can Roger Federer conduct an interview in English? Sure. Can Ma Long conduct an interview in English? I have not seen or heard a single one. But that's a marketing issue. Has Rafael Nadel been asked to speak English in an interview on air? Yes. And Nadel's English is not as good as say Federer's. Has WTT or ITTF asked Ma Long any questions in English? No.

Let us not pick on Chinese players. Hina Hayata just won the biggest match of her career and some could argue one of the most exciting table tennis matches in the past 10 years. She is only 22. Yet her interviews were conducted in Japanese, translated by a translator. Enuff said. It is a lack of coordination and marketing effort from the top of the sport.

From the Chinese's perspective, I think they do want to make the sport more popular. If they make the sport competitive across the globe, that will make everyone, frankly, richer and more famous. I believe NBA also wanted to make basketball global and it has succeeded in doing so. Ai Fukuhara, one of the most marketable table tennis players of all time, spent years training in China. She even speaks Mandarin with a Northeastern accent. When I listen to her interview in Mandarin, I was literally cracking up. I could not believe that accent came out of a Japense athlete! That also made her one of the most beloved foreign athletes in China, along with Jan-Ove Waldner. Waldner was hugely popular in China.

NBA has basically single handedly made basketball popular across the world. The question now rests on how the Chinese contingent and ITTF/WTT together can make table tennis wildly popular across all countries. That's why people have critized ITTF over the years. There is a reason for that.
I agree with everything you said.

It was just funny and ironic that as I read your post I heard Ma Longs speech in english, in the background. I've heard him say a few english words before but never a speech like that lol.

Reactions: JJ Ng
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
From "I am made in China" to "When I was young". 幾時到你班西人學吓講中文?

https://youtu.be/68mmisrB1Uo?t=3186

English, Spanish and French belong to the Indo-European language family. Chinese belongs to the Sino-Tiebetan family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family
Primary_Human_Languages_Improved_Version.png

To give the English/Spanish/French speakers a rough idea just how difficult it is for them to converse in English:
https://ai.googleblog.com/2016/09/a-neural-network-for-machine.html
image00.png

Table tennis and badminton are 2 racket sports dominated by East Asian countries and regions, among which China is the biggest market. We have had Fukuhara, Ishikawa, and now Kihara from Japan conducting interviews in Chinese. I've been waiting for an Axelsen of table tennis from Europe.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV17...ck&vd_source=9b4bee64b7435c626607968135e168b3
https://olympics.com/en/video/viktor-axelsen-mandarin-china-badminton
TpN8wdr.jpg

This user has no status.
can anyone share what CNT players use on BH? FH is DHS 3 National BlueSponge. I’m curious what they mainly use on BH like FZD, WCQ, ML, women…
FZD uses T05 hard and ML uses hurricane 3
Liang JK also uses hurricane 3
LinChokeYuan uses T05 hard
Not sure for WCQ

Reactions: disaster3
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
the camera angle and lighting, is it youtube?
or are you guys also looking at TV broadcast?
the youtube is dark and bad angle
the tv is way better.
One is a fix camera, the other is a proper TV crew moving around

but then again, they used to be able to be on par with each other, this time, youtube to me is a joke

Its not just this time, but the camera angle and "dark" theme has been an issue for some time now
When I was in Houston for the 2021, the arena was pretty optimal from my perspective in terms of lighting, outside of the one light that was shining in my eye. You can even see the crowd in the event broadcast. It's weird how it looks like it has regressed to this year's event.

I would love to see WTT go into storylines, or a small video package with competitor's thoughts in the later rounds, and give a small breather after the small post-match interview and before the next match starts. Once they hit the QF/SFs, I thought it was cool that they showed some of the historical context of the World Championship, and I want more of that. Outside of the bracket being larger and Best of 7 format, there's not much that I felt like they did to distinguish it from other "majors."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I agree with everything you said.

It was just funny and ironic that as I read your post I heard Ma Longs speech in english, in the background. I've heard him say a few english words before but never a speech like that lol.
Yes it is quite ironic. After I posted it, Ma Long did a speech in English. It was not an interview where he had to listen and respond. It was a prepared speech but a very good speech indeed. And you can see the comment section of the YouTube just lit up. That's my point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
https://youtu.be/68mmisrB1Uo?t=3186

English, Spanish and French belong to the Indo-European language family. Chinese belongs to the Sino-Tiebetan family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family
Primary_Human_Languages_Improved_Version.png

To give the English/Spanish/French speakers a rough idea just how difficult it is for them to converse in English:
https://ai.googleblog.com/2016/09/a-neural-network-for-machine.html
image00.png

Table tennis and badminton are 2 racket sports dominated by East Asian countries and regions, among which China is the biggest market. We have had Fukuhara, Ishikawa, and now Kihara from Japan conducting interviews in Chinese. I've been waiting for an Axelsen of table tennis from Europe.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV17...ck&vd_source=9b4bee64b7435c626607968135e168b3
https://olympics.com/en/video/viktor-axelsen-mandarin-china-badminton
TpN8wdr.jpg
Viktor Axelsen's Mandarin is actually very good. I don't need citation and wikipedia. I can tell you it is harder to speak Mandarin coming from Western language background because Mandarin is tonal. It is really hard to hit the tone. It is much easier for Mandarin speaker to learn English. English is about emphasis and once you get the emphsis correct, even with a flat tone you can speak English very well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
A massive problem is outside China Table Tennis is not that popular around the World and until we can attract more people into this amazing sport things will never change!!! I remember watching live table tennis at club level for first time and from then on I was hooked!! It's just not the same watching table tennis on T.V as watching it live !!!! We need to demonstrate our wonderful sport live to more people and I truly believe there would be more people hooked like I was !!!! Not sure how you can make it happen?? But really believe it would make a massive difference!!!! Maybe going into school's and show our sport to the children!!! Even if they watched good club players they would be impressed!!! Just a idea!!!
Well, what you said has nothing to do with CNT, or ITTF or WTT
It has everything to do with your city, province/state, countries' table tennis organisation.

I'm not sure about you, but I started Tony's Table Tennis in 2012 and do things on my own to do just that.
Over a dozen schools started a TT program.

If each of the 100 "active" members, can do 1 a year, then that is 100 more schools a year.

But you know, people tend to just sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

And you are right, school is where sports should start, just like any other sport. it is from school

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Doesn't help that WTT organises all these events with hardly anyone in the stands, cringe af music and worse camera angles and unprofessional presentation.

Hard to get ppl interested if these rank amateurs are at the helm of the sport. TT should just hire some of the planning and marketing guys from pickleball.
did you see the stands on Saturday and Sunday?
it was full (so full, I was suprised)
but i know, there was lots of complimentary tickets

Monday to Friday, most places in the world would have empty stands.

The way they sell tickets per area, then per session... is not the best move.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think that ETTU is trying to do. When I look for some international table tennis I actually look to Bundesliga. Bundesliga camera sucks tho.

I think Bundesliga is the closest in the western world.

However, its in German. No different to Chinese not speaking English.
I think there is going to be a bigger market for Chinese people listening to Chinese than people listening to German in the world.

I'm not too familiar with European sport culture, other than knowing some of the biggest clubs come out of England and Spain. Like the German football clubs are not so famous world wide imo.

So, i'm not sure if Germans have the best marketing penetration.
USA is obviously very successful with the NBA. That is a true domestic league where everyone in the world watches and hopes to join as a player one day.
I do feel, Europe does have an upper hand with its TT foundation. But could it make it a TT NBA? I sure hope so.
10 years ago, I was saying, we need pro league in the USA, and hopefully that can become the next NBA. With Major league Table Tennis starting, maybe we still need another 10 years for that to happen

Well, what you said has nothing to do with CNT, or ITTF or WTT
It has everything to do with your city, province/state, countries' table tennis organisation.

I'm not sure about you, but I started Tony's Table Tennis in 2012 and do things on my own to do just that.
Over a dozen schools started a TT program.

If each of the 100 "active" members, can do 1 a year, then that is 100 more schools a year.

But you know, people tend to just sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

And you are right, school is where sports should start, just like any other sport. it is from school
I'm ashamed to say that I want things to change but I'm not going to make things happen like you have Tony!!! The best I do is always make new members at my club feel welcome!!! I try to promote Table Tennis wherever I can!!!! Keep up the good Work Tony !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Table tennis is unlike other sports in that you absolutely must start playing seriously at a young age. You also need to play 6-8 hours a day to reach your full potential. China has the best system for this and has lots of practice players to develop upcoming players.
Take 10,000 kids and force them to play 6 hours a day, then in 20 years you might be able to compete with China. Trying to find better athletes, however you want to define that nebulous term, is pointless without a great infrastructure,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
A few things:

We all want table tennis to be even more popular. If that's case we need to bring English into its marketing. Yes I agree that most of Ma Long's fans speak Chinese only. Yes I agree that majority of Hiya Hayata's fans are Japanese speakers. However, in what language are we communicating here? English.

There is no denying English is the medium through which mass marketing can be done. Not Mandarin. Not Japanese (although in the 1980's, with the Japanese economy in a huge bubble, we really thought Japanese were going to buy up all the real estate in New York City!). Not German.

Li Ning is a powerhouse sport brand in China. But don't think for a second they don't want their home grown athletes to be signed to Nike at some point (granted 10 years later, who knows where Nike will be but you get the point). Federer is making a load of money on his watch endorsement. Can you imagine if the Chinese or Japanese table tennis players can be marketed through English, how much more luxury goods endorsements they will get across the world?

Ma Long's speech (prepared) in English already generated so much buzz and those words can ONLY connect with the viewers when it is coming from his mouth. It is just not the same through an interpretor. Is Federer's English perfect? No but people actually like the way he speaks English with his own accent. Same as Ma Long. Was his English perfect in that speech? No, it is by far from being perfect. But it is his own voice. It is his own interpretation of the English language. It is his sincerity.

As for making table tennis more popular, there is the traditional way of trying to do it through local schools; we call that the grassroot movement. Unfortunately many countries table tennis federation and ITTF do not do much to grow any of these grassroot movements at all.

With the advent of outdoor table tennis tables being set at various parks and the social media movements (like at Pongfinity and Adam's YouTube channels), I think there are many more ways to make table tennis popular. We just need to be flexible in our thinking.

I would even argue that we should go after the adults who are the "basement" players. They can also become the future of table tennis. Let us be frank. The kids don't have money to buy the equipments. And table tennis equipment can get pricey. If the adults/parents get hooked onto ping pong, they will be the consumer of the various equipments (and become addicted EJ's) and they in turn will get their kids and their kids' friends involved in the sport.

It is a bit like in America, you can see people playing basketball outdoor, in the park, or at local YMCA's or gyms. They have 1-on-1 or 3-on-3 scrimmages all the time. They are not playing full-court 5-on-5 basketball at full steam. These are casual players. Those adults playing are a huge part of the global basketball movements. It is not just the summer leagues for kids that keep the sport of basketball going.

Table tennis, with its ability to be played at a small area and be a dominant indoor sport in parts of world where the winter is harsh, has a lot of potential.

One impediment is that there is a high learning curve to ping pong right at the get go which intimidates a lot of players new to the sport. By contrast, yeah, pickleball has a very very low learning curve in the beginning. Pickleball is spreading like wild fire across North America right now.

To overcome that steep learning curve, it takes experienced players at the club to be willing to hit and give some pointers to the newbies. I see a lot of snobishness at the clubs in North America. In addition, coaches are not usually involved unless private lessons are paid for. I don't think it is necessarily coaches' fault because they have plenty of things to worry about. But a few free pointers here and there by any intermediate or advanced player will do the sport much good.