Tips to improve backhand

Currently trying to improve my backhand since i am somewhat inconsistent with my backhand loops compared to my forehand loops but when i do get that backhand in, it is loaded with tons of spin making it harder to return. i don't have any footage as of now and maybe i'll get some next week when i play again. what are some tips to help keep your backhand loops as consistent as possible?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Currently trying to improve my backhand since i am somewhat inconsistent with my backhand loops compared to my forehand loops but when i do get that backhand in, it is loaded with tons of spin making it harder to return. i don't have any footage as of now and maybe i'll get some next week when i play again. what are some tips to help keep your backhand loops as consistent as possible?
1. Maintain Half squat
2. Butt out
3. Stomach in
4. Bat angle closed
5. Throw the bat out like how you would throw our a frisbee.

Reactions: InfermiteG
This user has no status.
As with all strokes, the key to stability/consistency is the use of the body to control the stroke rather than the arm, and the mindset to move in a way to always keep the ball in the ideal zone of hitting in front of you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
A nice thing to consider would be your finishing stroke position or should I say, where your racket is parallel to when at your follow through or finishing stroke position.

If your bh loops tend to go long and miss the table, try to think about finishing your stroke with your racket parallel towards the inside of the table. I hope it makes sense, struggling a bit on how to explain it :D

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Just practise more with it, try to get rubber that suits you backhand the most. Maybe not super duper quick and bouncy. Backhands loops are usually harder to master, than the forehand ones. So it is okay. Try to focus on elbow and wrist motion, stay low, spin it good first, and after you gaining confidence in spinning the ball, then you can try to add some power in the shot. Also it’s better to practice all the balls, in all distances - on the rise, on the fall etc.. That would helps your backhand to be more consistent

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Lot's of helpful tips here. I'm learning a lot. Excellent and insightful video from Gozo. Thank you Master. I noticed in the video, that at 0.07, he finishes by covering the ball with what I would described as a "convex" path. From 0-0.07, his strokes are "concave". I would define "concave" as stroking the ball low to high on the inside part of the letter "c". Convex strokes would be like a flick with a twist of the wrist as you impart topspin going from low to high on the back or outside of the letter "c".

Reactions: kindof99