Twisting your knees while doing weight transfer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I live in the uk but my uncle got a swede passport,I really want to play for sweden.The coaching here in the uk in some clubs is not that good,you have to pay lots of money to get coached.... however I got 2 local clubs and the coaches are world class players and have the best juniors in England.i just want to show them I’m determinated.Let me be honest,I train with my coach when I do forehand topspin and I am so focused on my resetting etc.he says ur too technical just hit the ball stop talking.I really want advice to have better training days and knowing what bad habits I have so I can get rid of them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I think too much on my legs resetting,I need to stop habits because it affects my technique.My coach says ur technique is good,just needs working over and over to have better control and spin u have a habit of resetting etc. just practice it comes naturally

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your coach is correct. The information he is telling you is correct. You need to do hundreds of thousands of repetitions; millions of repetitions. You need to stop thinking and talking and practice much much much much more.

And if you want to be a pro and want to play at a level where you can play in international tournaments and you are at the level you are at right now, at your current age, you would need about 4-6 hours of training a day 6 days a week for the next several years. So, you would probably need the money to spend about $500,000.00 (USD) a year. In GBP that is 386,965£ on coaching.

@ Xilit, WaldnersGhost who is also WaldnersTwin is a kid from UK. He is not from Sweden. He just wants to be from Sweden. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
it’s 15 gbp for 3 days (Friday Saturday Sunday) and 6 gbp for 2 days (Tuesday and thursday) is that enough?

How many hours of one on one training with a coach will the 3 day option mean? And how many hours with the coach will Tuesday and Thursday mean?

If you want to train consistently with a coach, either option will probably be fine. Both options together will be fine as well.

However, if you wanted to be top 20 in UK and/or top 300 in the world, and those are 1 hour each day, then you would need the Fri, Sat, Sun option and the Tue Thurs option 4 times each day and then you would need a training partner who is not a coach who can train with you 1-2 additional hours on each of those days and then, on either Monday or Wednesday, you would need to work with that training partner 2-4 hours and play matches for another 2 hours.

So, basically, if you really wanted to ensure you got to the highest level you could, starting from where you are now, you would need to train more than you are in school.

The kids who are chosen to train for so they can try to become CNT members, at age 6, they go to a special school where all they have to do is play table tennis all day. And they are systematically trained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Based on the mechanics of your strokes and a few inconsistencies, it would actually probably help your improvement if you could do a little bit of actual tennis training for a few months with a Tennis coach and have him teach you a one handed backhand and a traditional forehand. If you got a good Tennis forehand and backhand, and then went back to Table Tennis, your strokes would get more power and improve dramatically faster. Because that would force you to fix a couple of technical details faster than they would get fixed if you only played Table Tennis.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ok so u see primorac he started at the age of 13,too late but he competed against waldner and world championships,

I guess it can't hurt to dream. 35 years years ago, the level of competition and the rigor of training it took to get to the top was different.

Can you tell me how much training Zoran Primorac did at the age of 13? And was it that he started at 13 or joined the Croatian national team at that age? Those are different. And he definitely won some titles as a junior. So....

Anyway, all I can do is wish you well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I got 2 local clubs and the coaches are world class players and have the best juniors in England.i just want to show them I’m determinated.
If your coaches are world class players, why are you asking us questions? We are not world class players. Why don't you trust your coaches? (BTW, you only need one coach. Once you have more than one, they will be wanting you to do different things and that will a. confuse you, and b. slow down your progress.)

Let me be honest,I train with my coach when I do forehand topspin and I am so focused on my resetting etc.he says ur too technical just hit the ball stop talking.I really want advice to have better training days and knowing what bad habits I have so I can get rid of them.
Notice the truly excellent advice from your coach: "just hit the ball stop talking". If you want to have better training days, then follow your coach's advice: just hit the ball and stop talking.

I understand your compulsion to ask lots and lots of questions, and probably watch lots and lots of videos as well. I too have been there and done that. None of those things actually improve your game. As Carl says, the only thing that helps is practice. To quote that infamous company, just do it.

PS Neuroscience tells us, you can't actually "get rid of them". All you can do is replace them with better and stronger habits. And the only way to get better and stronger habits is to just hit the ball and stop talking.

Reactions: phorkyas
This user has no status.
I'm training with a pro coach on a regular basis, and I've been doing a lot of basic footwork drills (its like 80-90% of the training for me , because thats the basics and i don't master them).

Here is how I would answer your questions (applies for me, not necessarily to you):
"Hey guys,Today in training I was practicing my topspin and I was doing the weight transfer perfectly fine.I asked my coach and she said you are going foward.I feel it on my left thigh which is correct,but I noticed I move my knees a bit.I thrash my right leg against the ground,twist and I transfer to left.Sorry if I wrote a long paragraph but the question is when you move your knees slightly is that bad?"

I'm not sure i understand, I think its important to always give a small forward impulse, and for FH (topspin), its important to have the left knee move a little forward at the end of the move. "little" is the key word. Whatever the stroke, what is important is to be able to keep a good balance to play the next shot. If you try to rip the ball, if you score the point its fine, but often you would lose the balance and the other guy just needs to put the racket and put the ball back on the table to score the point. So generally, you should always assume the ball will come back and thus prioritize keeping your balance over power or speed.

I feel that giving that forward impulse (really whether BH or FH) and having those knees forward and upper body bent forward at the end of the shot, helps having a good balance and play the next shot, because my natural tendency is to move the upper body straight between shots, so if I end up with a better position, i wouldn't move the body up to the point of having the upper body totally straight, and lose my balance going backwards. A good feedback is to feel your core muscles is working on every shot

When doing footwork drill, the right speed is the best pace at which you can do a maximum of shots without making mistakes (target making regularly 20-30 more shots in a row), its ok to play at 70% power, focus on keeping a good balance, feel your leg muscles relaxed, your core working. If you do a drill and miss after 5-6 (or less !) shots on average, you're doing it way too fast. You will also develop your stamina doing so. Given enough time, drills will correct bad habits.

" I don’t understand the quick small steps technique as this pro explains "
those small steps are indeed important, personally i'm not able to do those systematically, but have improved. It needs to become a habit. My coach tells me that i have to relax more the UPPER muscles of my legs, and just think about being in movement all the time, and it will become natural after drilling a lot. the key to good footwork is that legs move from the upper parts of the leg, not from your feet. My feeling is that the small steps also helps you relax my muscles. if i forget to do that I would feel my muscles get tense/painful after 7-8 shots and it would become more and more difficult to move and i will miss. Maybe if you're younger you don't have this problem.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
my coach was chopping against me and he says move back to the bh position after u do ur shot so u can have it in play,I was doing it consistently like 15 - 20 forehand loops but I don’t understand going back to the bh.If a player goes crosscourt and u fh,isn’t it impossible to go back to the bh? I feel unbalanced after i try and do that.My coach says the real answer is that you always find yourself in the backhand base,not running around the table

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
he started at age of 13,I think the level in the world class in the 1980s until now has advanced way more right?I think the era wasn’t as high advanced compared now to top 20 players.. ugh... my coach has coached juniors ages 12 they 16 now and they top 15 in country.I think in general coaches in England if they want to care,you pay a crazy amount of money but the camps in Sweden (waldner and Appelgren club, Eslov etc) they are cheaper and the coaches care for you,sigh