Typical Korean Amateur City/Regional TT tourney venue and feel... Div 6 Mens

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is to give TTD viewers an idea of what a Korean amateur TT tourney looks like.

Basically, the city or regional tourney gets free rent of a city gym... they line up two or three rows of 12 tables (here three rows of 12) and go at the group and knockout stages. Clubs setup space on the second deck of the gym. Coaches coach DURING the point. Lets are rarely called, only when a ball from other court hits the table top or you run into next court player. Yes, a player from other court can and will retrieve a ball from under your table during the point... PLAY ON DUDE.

This is Div 6, which now I guess they made another div for lower players. Normally, a decade ago when I was in Korea, players of this class were call HOPE division, meaning they hoped they would suck a little less to be able to play in Div 5.

This is Div 6 Mens quarter finals of the Incheon City tourney from about a month ago.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TB, when I was in Korea a decade ago, Xiom, the big Korean brand, was maybe 5 yrs old and had like 2% market share.

Now Nexy in 2023 as the big time Korean brand combined with rival Xiom MIGHT have 20% share of the Korean rubber market.

It has always been about BTY for rubbers (although ESN rubbers have gained a lot of market share) and BTY and Nittaku for blades.

That has also changed a lot since Xiom and Nexy went blade making crazy, (along with Stiga) but the Japanese brands still dominate the sales... and this is remarkable as there has been a years long BAN JAPAN movement over the Dokdo dispute and the govt stance of Imperial Japan raping Korea and not apologizing feeling sorry.

There may also still be a lot of that sentiment remaining in China, on YT i see all these modern shows about Chinese war heroes in the setting of the 1940s fighting off the Imperial Japanese who took over some China land.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Pretty high level for amateurs TT

This is like a similar tournament setup in most of Asia, no surrounds/barriers in between the sides, you have people walking up and down behind you, and play continues - aka PLAY ON DUDE.

In the WEST, people are trained to LET call the moment there is even a small interruption to your playing area - like a when a fly, flies into the area.
In South Africa, I tried to train players to not worry about the ball or anything that flies into the fully surrounded off area... I said, if you concentrate on the point, you won't notice anything coming in. It is the job of the umpire to notice things, your job is to play the ball and win the point.

Reactions: JJ Ng and SofaChamp
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
TB, when I was in Korea a decade ago, Xiom, the big Korean brand, was maybe 5 yrs old and had like 2% market share.

Now Nexy in 2023 as the big time Korean brand combined with rival Xiom MIGHT have 20% share of the Korean rubber market.

It has always been about BTY for rubbers (although ESN rubbers have gained a lot of market share) and BTY and Nittaku for blades.

I was always under the impression that Tibhar was a fairly strong contented in the S Korean market, given that Nexy and Tibhar have collaborated in a number of instances

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tibhar has gained ground in the rubber market after MX-P came on market and after Nexy got Tibhar to make MX-K - their first real true decent offensive rubber... but Tibhar was never gunna compete with BTY in the rubber market.

I say that is someone who extensively uses and has a long history of using Tibhar rubbers.

Half or more of the rubbers I have used the last 12 years have been Tibhar rubbers.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp