Viscaria / Harimoto thoughts..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I would like to share my thoughts on Viscaria and Harimoto as I found most of your comments interesting and very relatable to my own experience with these blades.
I own both blades: Viscaria ST 84 grams, Harimoto ALC ST 91 grams. I have been playing these blades for almost a year now, so relatively new. I bought the Viscaria for reasons stated by Jammmail the blade is "classic for a reason". First time I played, Viscaria felt like the holy grail of blades that I was looking for. It had a lot of the good things I was looking for all in the same blade, reasonable control, decent speed, marvelous feel, spin generation. What struck me most is that my blocking improved significantly and my defense got better. But I soon found out I could not generate my spin attacks, loops from both wings with the same confidence and consistency as my previous blades Joola Rossi Emotion, Joola Aruna Off and other wood blades.
With just these trifle reasons, the EJ in me compelled me to go for the Harimoto ALC being an "inner" type of blade should afford me better spin capabilities. My expectations were sweetly confirmed by the Harimoto blade, way better control than Viscaria on short game. On low intensity strokes, it felt "woody" or wood like, which I liked and the best thing is that I can exert my full swings on my loops and drives and find better consistency.
I agree with NHD "Viscaria is quick may lack control for most players need" and " Harimoto blocks like a wall, has plenty of top end speed and genuinely a joy to use."
From Viscaria I since switched to Harimoto as my main blade as at the moment it fits my skill level. I see myself progressing to the Viscaria once my skills have improved a notch (I'm still dreaming of improving my basic skills set at 57 yrs old ha ha ha).

To summarize: For my skill level, Viscaria is better in hitting, blocking and speed. Harimoto is a sweeter looping machine, control and spin generation. Both blades have different feel, but actually I liked the feel of Viscaria better, something I cannot explain in words just jumps out and says "this is it".

For both blades I like using Joola Golden Tango on Backhand. I tried Dignics 05, Tenergy 05, Tenergy 80Fx and did not like the control.
For both blades I love using Dignics 09C on the Forehand. Dignics 05 comes second while Tenergy 05 is sweet on offense but I found it hard in recieving serves on the forehand, too spin sensitive and bouncy on short game.

So that's my experience on both blades. I will update my you guys a)s I play more with it. (I also bought a Viscaria Light which should be another story on another thread) Hope all these helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I would like to share my thoughts on Viscaria and Harimoto as I found most of your comments interesting and very relatable to my own experience with these blades.
I own both blades: Viscaria ST 84 grams, Harimoto ALC ST 91 grams. I have been playing these blades for almost a year now, so relatively new. I bought the Viscaria for reasons stated by Jammmail the blade is "classic for a reason". First time I played, Viscaria felt like the holy grail of blades that I was looking for. It had a lot of the good things I was looking for all in the same blade, reasonable control, decent speed, marvelous feel, spin generation. What struck me most is that my blocking improved significantly and my defense got better. But I soon found out I could not generate my spin attacks, loops from both wings with the same confidence and consistency as my previous blades Joola Rossi Emotion, Joola Aruna Off and other wood blades.
With just these trifle reasons, the EJ in me compelled me to go for the Harimoto ALC being an "inner" type of blade should afford me better spin capabilities. My expectations were sweetly confirmed by the Harimoto blade, way better control than Viscaria on short game. On low intensity strokes, it felt "woody" or wood like, which I liked and the best thing is that I can exert my full swings on my loops and drives and find better consistency.
I agree with NHD "Viscaria is quick may lack control for most players need" and " Harimoto blocks like a wall, has plenty of top end speed and genuinely a joy to use."
From Viscaria I since switched to Harimoto as my main blade as at the moment it fits my skill level. I see myself progressing to the Viscaria once my skills have improved a notch (I'm still dreaming of improving my basic skills set at 57 yrs old ha ha ha).

To summarize: For my skill level, Viscaria is better in hitting, blocking and speed. Harimoto is a sweeter looping machine, control and spin generation. Both blades have different feel, but actually I liked the feel of Viscaria better, something I cannot explain in words just jumps out and says "this is it".

For both blades I like using Joola Golden Tango on Backhand. I tried Dignics 05, Tenergy 05, Tenergy 80Fx and did not like the control.
For both blades I love using Dignics 09C on the Forehand. Dignics 05 comes second while Tenergy 05 is sweet on offense but I found it hard in recieving serves on the forehand, too spin sensitive and bouncy on short game.

So that's my experience on both blades. I will update my you guys a)s I play more with it. (I also bought a Viscaria Light which should be another story on another thread) Hope all these helps.

Nice thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Knuckle Ball
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

I can very much relate to your thoughts and experience here - but I have taken a step further back. I am back using my all wood Violin (with D05/C48) and it has been transformational in allowing me to regain the confidence to hit fuller strokes and also to deliver reasonable results when I am slightly less on my game - there is much more margin for error.

For me to play with the Viscaria I need to use slower rubbers with less bounce - H3 being a good example on FH and D05 on BH. Right now I am back enjoying 5 ply all wood and slightly faster rubbers.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

I can very much relate to your thoughts and experience here - but I have taken a step further back. I am back using my all wood Violin (with D05/C48) and it has been transformational in allowing me to regain the confidence to hit fuller strokes and also to deliver reasonable results when I am slightly less on my game - there is much more margin for error.

For me to play with the Viscaria I need to use slower rubbers with less bounce - H3 being a good example on FH and D05 on BH. Right now I am back enjoying 5 ply all wood and slightly faster rubbers.

D05 on your FH on the Violin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012

Joola Rossi Emotion (JRE) was my blade for the longest time before moving to faster ALC blades. Joola Aruna Off which is a renamed, repackaged JRE plays exactly the same as well as give the same pleasure in my game, I also have one. I presume Joola TPE Perform with the same build composition as JRE should also be in the same class, this blade I'm still planning to buy.

I have a Viscaria Light with H3 national on FH and Dignics O5 on backhand. And yes, it is more controlled with H3. Hope this helps

Reactions: Wrighty67