Was it a mistake? Should Franziska have been picked for the Olympics?

This user has no status.
Why are you focused on just 2024 and not 2023? Events like WTTC etc. in 2023, why are they not in your analysis? Why just 2024?
That doesn’t really help him, he lost to Pucar in the third round. He did well in doubles but a left handed and right handed pair is generally better like Franziska and Timo in Tokyo or could be Dang and Timo this year

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
That doesn’t really help him, he lost to Pucar in the third round. He did well in doubles but a left handed and right handed pair is generally better like Franziska and Timo in Tokyo or could be Dang and Timo this year
Also, in 2023 and 2024 he didn’t win any events, and didn’t reach the quarterfinals of any major events like Star Contender, Champions, Smash, etc., except Frankfurt where he had the advantage of come court and lost to ML for the 20th time whereas Franziska beat him twice in a row and Star Contender Goa without any Chinese participants where he reached the semis by beating a teammate in the quarters and lost to Hugo who will compete at Paris. Guess who just beat Hugo, Dima’s peer who lost to him in Goa.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Also, in 2023 and 2024 he didn’t win any events, and didn’t reach the quarterfinals of any major events like Star Contender, Champions, Smash, etc., except Frankfurt where he had the advantage of come court and lost to ML for the 20th time whereas Franziska beat him twice in a row and Star Contender Goa without any Chinese participants where he reached the semis by beating a teammate in the quarters and lost to Hugo who will compete at Paris. Guess who just beat Hugo, Dima’s peer who lost to him in Goa.
He got to two finals in Lagos and Turkey for Contender, which is why your phrasing is so clever. Franziska also played the same events but didn't do any better. It is better to present all the facts rather than select some and forget others. Before this current tournament, Dima was still the higher ranked player. In fact, most of Franziska's biggest results will all be this year. By all means, if you want to go with the in-form player of the moment, fine, but don't make it sound like Franziska had a better 2023 than Dima because he definitely did not.

This user has no status.
He got to two finals in Lagos and Turkey for Contender, which is why your phrasing is so clever. Franziska also played the same events but didn't do any better. It is better to present all the facts rather than select some and forget others. Before this current tournament, Dima was still the higher ranked player. In fact, most of Franziska's biggest results will all be this year. By all means, if you want to go with the in-form player of the moment, fine, but don't make it sound like Franziska had a better 2023 than Dima because he definitely did not.
No he didn’t not but if you factor 2024 in then yes he did. With these Smash points he’s even gonna be higher ranked which is also better for the Olympics. Same with DQ btw who for instance reached the semifinals of the WTT Finals and has constantly had better results and world ranking than Dima and he also beat major Chinese players not so long ago like LJK

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
I just don’t understand why they’d choose Dima over Dang or Patrick. Both latter players have been performing better recently and DQ did so in 2023 as well. Dima is older, more vulnerable, more prone to injuries, came back from an injury not so long ago making him even more fragile. His physically not in top form and his performance is going down hill. His world ranking is also gonna drop next week. Same goes for Timo but at least his performance is getting better cuz he’s adapting and did extremely well last year in Sweden. Dima performed outstandingly well in Tokyo 2021 but that was then and what matters now is his current condition.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
We are also forgetting here that Timo has been struggling with staying fit to play - when he’s been back for a while he looks good but then misses a tournament (as he did Manchester) due to injury or illness, and then takes time to get back to form. In my view this makes him a risky prospect compared to someone like Franz, who is consistently fit and strong and who can be relied upon to be there when needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
We are also forgetting here that Timo has been struggling with staying fit to play - when he’s been back for a while he looks good but then misses a tournament (as he did Manchester) due to injury or illness, and then takes time to get back to form. In my view this makes him a risky prospect compared to someone like Franz, who is consistently fit and strong and who can be relied upon to be there when needed.
That's what the reserve spot is for, so you can replace an injured player. After all, LSW was injured but still played XD and was replaced by WMY later in Tokyo 2020/2021.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
It's easy to underestimate the skill to perform under pressure. Personally I think I lack it but I've seen it in teammates etc. It raises their level while reducing the opponents. Perhaps it's different at pro level or maybe it's even exacerbated because of real stakes. Still there is clearly a pattern with some pro players. Truls has that skill while Källberg seems to lack it. Franz appears to lack it and so does Lin Gaoyuan. Then there are cases where it isn't so clear.

From my anecdotal experience it's much easier to perform against better players when I have no pressure or when I'm the underdog. When the stakes are bigger so much changes. The people making these decisions are obviously valuing different skills than most people on this forum, so what is it really?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have been upset for a while now that Franz was not nominated. And now that he has beaten Ma Long, Ovtcharov, Dang Qiu and FZD within the last 1-2 months, I am starting to become furious about the decision. It just does not make any sense other than politics. Clearly the nominating process was not based on results.
His club Saarbrücken was really pissed about the decision. There have been some allegations in the past against the German table tennis federation that it was too close to the Borussia Düsseldorf Club.

I think one of the bosses on Borussia is also a high ranked executive in the DTTB, but not sure if that played a role in the decision.

Still of course there is a chance that Franziska plays at the Olympics as he will be the alternate and timo boll often gets injured so if timo is banged up they might make Franziska the 3rd guy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I have been upset for a while now that Franz was not nominated. And now that he has beaten Ma Long, Ovtcharov, Dang Qiu and FZD within the last 1-2 months, I am starting to become furious about the decision. It just does not make any sense other than politics. Clearly the nominating process was not based on results.
may be hes non-selection motivated to such a level that he wants to prove a point by beating top guns including team mate

end of the day , TT is more of mindset post hving skills ,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
That's what the reserve spot is for, so you can replace an injured player. After all, LSW was injured but still played XD and was replaced by WMY later in Tokyo 2020/2021.
That's not my point - by the time of the tournament it's too late. His prep may well be impacted by injury or an inability to prepare fully. Surely better to pick an in form player with good fitness and resilience and give them a chance to build up to the event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That's not my point - by the time of the tournament it's too late. His prep may well be impacted by injury or an inability to prepare fully. Surely better to pick an in form player with good fitness and resilience and give them a chance to build up to the event.
This has been true for Timo throughout his career. You either trust him based on his performances (often while injured) or you don't, this is not something separate from how he performs at big events throughout his playing career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
This has been true for Timo throughout his career. You either trust him based on his performances (often while injured) or you don't, this is not something separate from how he performs at big events throughout his playing career.
Agreed, to an extent - but it has obviously become a bigger issue as he has got older and so, for me at least, should be a factor taken into consideration.