Weak FH , good FH rubbers. Any advice ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

It is worth looking at how things start.

If you had just posted that you like AK47 and let the OP research and decide, this thread would be 1/10th the length and you and Lazer would not have been contentiously going back and forth.

What was the purpose of this post when you had already stated you thought AK47 was good and your reasons, and Lazer, simply said Sriver and Mark V are still around but a little slow and a step up would be R7? And Lazar's comment had absolutely nothing to do with your comment. For all we know, you and Lazar may have been typing at the same time. But your post quoted above is absolutely a dig about Lazar and his comment.

There is no argument without your post contradicting Lazar's opinion.

And the truth is, different players will try the same rubber and feel totally different things. So, if Lazar does not like AK47 as much as R7 and you like AK47 more than R7 you simply may not feel the same things.

That should be the end of the discussion.

I'm not trying to argue about this. Lazer offered R7 as a option. I agree that it is a step up from Mark V. I'm simply giving OP some additional info that might be helpful to him: AK47 is a step up from R7 with it being slightly faster when I directly tested them recently, and that AK47 is much cheaper. OP is free to decide what to do with that info. If he feels the extra speed would be detrimental to his game, absolutely go for the R7!

Lazer's entire pushback against my suggestion seems to be 1) speed is not everything and 2) He doesn't want to buy from Chinese website.

In regards to #1: Absolutely! If you want extra speed, consider AK47. If you don't want more speed, then get a slower rubber. OP is free to decide, and I just wanted to give him enough information to make a decision.

In regards to #2: I just pointed out the painfully obvious that AK47 is available on non-Chinese websites such as Amazon. OP is free to do whatever he wants with that information.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think Chinese rubbers can be fine and I have used them (and never had an issue buying from aliexpress either) but we shouldn't go around here in the forum and tell people they are stupid if they want to spend money on a more expensive rubber.

Suggesting a Chinese rubber was totally fine here but imo pushing back on other suggestions telling them they are wasting money was a bit too much

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I think Chinese rubbers can be fine and I have used them (and never had an issue buying from aliexpress either) but we shouldn't go around here in the forum and tell people they are stupid if they want to spend money on a more expensive rubber.

Suggesting a Chinese rubber was totally fine here but imo pushing back on other suggestions telling them they are wasting money was a bit too much

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm quite certain that I didn't call anybody stupid for wasting money on expensive rubber. I specifically said some people see value in $100,00 cars, and some are satisfied for $20,000 car.

I simply offered up the suggestion that for a newbie coming back to the sport in 12 years (which is the same position I was myself in 1 year ago), there is a much better value proposition in a rubber with higher offensive performance at a fraction of the cost. If that is desirable for OP, then I just want them to know about it.

Lazer pushed back at my suggestion with non-factual swipes appealing to emotion rather than logic. Something something China, and arbitrarily calling my suggestion "inferior product" without giving any factual basis to backup his point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
If somebody has a problem with Chinese website, I would appreciate factual data to show the risks of the website rather than just spreading unproven mis-information.

If you buy 100 sheets of H3 from TT11, you can scan each of the sheet's code on the DHS product authentication website to check if it is authentic. I'm quite certain that 100 of those rubbers will be authentic.

If you want to say Aliexpress is not reliable, I would like to see proven data. Did somebody buy 100 sheets of H3 from Aliexpress and scan each of the code's on DHS product authentication website? If you show me that less than 100 of them are real, I will believe you. In my experience, I have never received fake rubber from Aliexpress, and I'm quite certain that all 100 sheets would be authenticated.

Since this is a TT forum and people are constantly looking for new equipment and good buying options, I think it's really unfair to spread mis-information. If somebody has proven data or actual experiences of buying from certain websites, then those should be shared as a warning to other users on the forum. But it's not right to spread a certain narrative without proven information.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
You can still buy Yasaka Mark V and Buttefly Sriver. A little bit slow these days but not too shabby. A step up would be Yasaka Rakza 7.

Cheers
L-zr
I am also in the market for Yasaka Mark V as it seems to be a not too fast tensor rubber but I also found the Nittaku Flyatt. Are both these rubbers comparable/similar? Looking for something easy to use as a beginner.. thanks in advance :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Thanks! I found the Mark V for 28€ on sale. Might just try it out with Mark V on one side and Flyatt on other side lol.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Rakza7, Palio AK whatchamacallit, this and that...

It does not matter when after a while you progress and start to play in your club friendlies, then progress to local leagues and so on and so forth: You will eventually use Tenergy / Dignics. As they say, all road leads to Rome. In similar vein, eventually, given enough length of time, you will use Tenergy / Dignics.[h1]"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Rubber to rule them all, One Rubber to spin them,
One Rubber to bring them all and in the darkness win them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie"[/h1]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Beginner tensors that are a good step up from people coming from classic rubbers, from my research and experience:

Nittaku Factive, Xiom Vega Intro, Yasaka Rigan, Andro Hexer Duro. They are all a bit cheaper than Rakza 7 (except the Andro, but it lasts a longer time to compensate). And they are all from reputable companies where you won't have to deal with Chinese companies (in case you are too snobby to consider those rubbers).

Reactions: WingTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Those modern medium hard rubbers like the XIOM Vega Intro will be more suitable for the plastic ball due to it's medium hardness and spin capability than the overpriced 50 year old rubbers like Mark V and Sriver. Don't let the Mark V cultists brainwash you.

Mar 2021
Those modern medium hard rubbers like the XIOM Vega Intro will be more suitable for the plastic ball due to it's medium hardness and spin capability than the overpriced 50 year old rubbers like Mark V and Sriver. Don't let the Mark V cultists brainwash you.
I suspect, I speculate, I hypothesize, if one still maintain Mark V is still fast enough, the clubs are mainly made up of geriatrics.

😁

This is wrong on so many levels. Mark V is an excellent rubber for a beginner or someone just starting over after a long time:
Why?
- It is slow and not bouncy.
- It is not too soft nor too hard, approximately the same hardness as Rakza 7
- it has a little less spin capability than newer rubbers like Rakza 7.
- It is less spin sensitive than Rakza's. (Ability to generate Spin and spin sensitivity are mutually exclusive).
- It last longer than all modern rubbers I have tried, even longer than Tenergies..
- It has an excellent quality top sheet. Also better than all ESN rubbers I have tried.

The reason for the slowness and low bounciness is in the compact sponge without air pockets.
That can easily be fixed by chosing Mark V HPS. which have the same top sheet but a more
modern sponge,

A natural Yasaka progression when developing is (for nnon stickies):
Mark V => Mark V HPS => Rakza 7 => Rakza X

The only draw back is the price. (Mark V HPS has a pretty huge price tag).

So if one is a beginner, returner or developing in the beginning of ones "carrier" . Get a Mark V if You can get it at a good price.

Cheers
L-zr

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
This is wrong on so many levels. Mark V is an excellent rubber for a beginner or someone just starting over after a long time:
Why?
- It is slow and not bouncy.
- It is not too soft nor too hard, approximately the same hardness as Rakza 7
- it has a little less spin capability than newer rubbers like Rakza 7.
- It is less spin sensitive than Rakza's. (Ability to generate Spin and spin sensitivity are mutually exclusive).
- It last longer than all modern rubbers I have tried, even longer than Tenergies..
- It has an excellent quality top sheet. Also better than all ESN rubbers I have tried.

The reason for the slowness and low bounciness is in the compact sponge without air pockets.
That can easily be fixed by chosing Mark V HPS. which have the same top sheet but a more
modern sponge,

A natural Yasaka progression when developing is (for nnon stickies):
Mark V => Mark V HPS => Rakza 7 => Rakza X

So if one is a beginner, returner or developing in the beginning of ones "carrier" . Get a Mark V if You can get it at a good price.

Cheers
L-zr

US $ 8 will get you a good rubber, a 61 second Eagle

US $ 8 will get you a good rubber, a 61 second Eagle

The problem with these chinese toy rubbers is You never know what You wil get...

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The problem with these chinese toy rubbers is You never know what You wil get...

I have seen plenty of Tenergy.Dignic -players after a rally that went wrong and they were looking closely at their rubbers and saying "WTF went wrong".

Now the reason I mentioned the Eagle is twofold:

1 I knew you would take the bait because i know you don't like Chinese rubbers. Gotcha ! 😂
2 This rubber is actually very long lasting and consistent but of course not good enough for you top guns 😂

I have seen plenty of Tenergy.Dignic -players after a rally that went wrong and they were looking closely at their rubbers and saying "WTF went wrong".

Now the reason I mentioned the Eagle is twofold:

1 I knew you would take the bait because i know you don't like Chinese rubbers. Gotcha ! 😂
2 This rubber is actually very long lasting and consistent but of course not good enough for you top guns 😂

Life is too short for toy rubbers…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Life is too short for toy rubbers…

So far I know you have said Stiga Dragongrip, Palio AK47, DHS Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge are "toy rubbers".

Can you provide us a list of which rubbers are toy rubbers and which rubbers are not toy rubbers.

So far I know you have said Stiga Dragongrip, Palio AK47, DHS Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge are "toy rubbers".

Can you provide us a list of which rubbers are toy rubbers and which rubbers are not toy rubbers.

I’ll make it easy for you.
All rubbers that can not handle the So Cal desert climate. But after thinking about it for a while maybe the problem lies elsewhere… like with the user…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I’ll make it easy for you.
All rubbers that can not handle the So Cal desert climate. But after thinking about it for a while maybe the problem lies elsewhere… like with the user…

That hasn't made it easy at all. You specifically claim to know which rubbers are toy rubbers and which are not. So I'd like to know your list.

The user is completely separate from what you're talking about. Even if you gave me the best rubber in the world, I still wouldn't be a 2000 level player.

If I gave Ma Long a "toy rubber" and you had a "non-toy" rubber, by how many points would you beat ML? Oh yeah, BTW ML's regular rubber is H3 blue sponge, one of your official toy rubbers.