Weight training in the gym to improve explosiveness

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
You, too, will start making noises if you wind up lifting to the limits your strength.

Also, the biggest and scariest looking dude in the gym will probably be the most friendly and helpful when it comes to asking for advice. Remember that these people dedicate hours of their day in search of their own idea of self improvement. Ask guys like that for advice on anything (form, strength programs, etc.) and they will turn into your free personal trainer. If you are too shy for something like that, you can post videos of yourself lifting on reddit subreddit /r/formcheck.

The gym can be intimidating for beginners. But you'll find the 'serious' lifters to be extremely friendly and supportive. The same cannot be said about the 'good' players at most TT clubs who will have nothing to do with beginners.
Absolutely agree with everything you said! It's tough not to make any noises when you're playing TT as well if you're looping with all your strength.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I've been doing kettlebell training for the past year and it's helped tremendously with my explosiveness and power in table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
After about 8 training sessions in the gym I noticed a few things.
I can lift heavier weights than in the beginning.
I no longer have muscle burn on the 2nd and 3rd day after being in the gym. After trying out new stuff and moving untrained muscles on the 2nd and 3rd day I felt like dying.
My left arm is much stronger, well I'm a lefty so no wonder, hope I can get my right arm up to snuff.
I don't see any muscular growth, maybe it takes longer tho I have no idea, but I'm fine if there is no increase in muscle size.
I think it is helping since I noticed I can put a lot more power in my shots when I am in an unfavorable position which seem to surprise my opponents, even me. When I'm in a good position and can execute my movement I don't feel much difference, but the change in fully extended or awkward positions is very obvious.

A previous injury I had is getting better with lifting, I had it in my shoulder but lately I noticed it's better.

Reactions: JeffM and Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I don't see any muscular growth, maybe it takes longer tho I have no idea, but I'm fine if there is no increase in muscle size.

Most of the gains achieved by untrained individuals within the first few months of training appear to be caused by neuromuscular adaptations. You are training your body to effectively recruit and use your existing muscle tissue. There will be some muscle hypertrophy but the effect of that is small in comparison.

Stick with it, program progression into your workout (slowly increase weight/reps) and you will eventually start seeing noticeable muscle growth very soon. I haven't met anybody who has stuck with a weight training program and preferred their prior untrained body to their current one. You will look and feel better.

Reactions: JeffM
says Spin, Spin, more spin :)
says Spin, Spin, more spin :)
Jul 2022
Hi, I just wanted to add my opinions.

We should not work with big weights since our target is not to build muscles. We must try to use weights to improve our explosiveness and our core strenght. Elasticity is very important in tabletennis in every aspect imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
This is a very interesting topic.
I too am going to the gym for tt, but my main aim is the reduce the chance of injury. When I do certain exercises, I also try to incorporate a bit of the 'explosiveness' in it, but I am actually trying to build enough muscles so that I won't be affected day 1 after an intense TT session. I've been mainly focusing on the quads, as my knees were my weakness, and after around 3-4 weeks, I'm definitely feeling the confidence boost, and just for reference, I've managed to increase my weight on the leg extension machine from 15-20kg, to now 35kg, 8 reps, 3 sets (It still isn't much, but my strength has improved). While doing the exercise, I try to kick out with control but more speed for the 'explosive part', instead of a slow up. On the court, I feel good moving around, and I am not afraid to keep telling myself to keep moving my legs in fear of another injury.
So I think each to their own benefit: strength vs Explosiveness. Sometimes they are not exclusive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Hi, I just wanted to add my opinions.

We should not work with big weights since our target is not to build muscles. We must try to use weights to improve our explosiveness and our core strenght. Elasticity is very important in tabletennis in every aspect imo.

I respectfully disagree. 'Explosiveness' is merely just the production of force (i.e. strength) applied in a short period of time. Thus: force production / time.

Part of this is equation minimizing the time of force production. So things like box jumps, sprints, plyometrics will improve muscle recruitment time. But you still need the maximal force production part of the equation.

There's a reason the most explosive athletes in the world (e.g. track and field decathaletes) incorporate things like squats and power cleans into their training. If you want to train to produce large amounts of force, large resistances (read: heavy weights) are necessary. If you can only produce small amounts of force in a short period of time, you are not very 'explosive.'

Of course a big bench press will not improve your forehand, but building lower body strength will. Because the quads, glutes, and posterior chain can produce so much force, simple body weight training and having strong abs will not be a substitute for developing them.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
To the OP: I've scanned this thread and have to say that the best advice you can get on here is simply this: Do not take any weight training advice online.

If you're serious about improving explosive strength, as opposed to just 'generally messing around in the gym', then pay a properly qualified instructor to produce a training programme specific to your needs, age, condition, past injuries, etc., and then to coach you to perform the recommended movements safely in light of all those factors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
After about 8 training sessions in the gym I noticed a few things.
I can lift heavier weights than in the beginning.
I no longer have muscle burn on the 2nd and 3rd day after being in the gym. After trying out new stuff and moving untrained muscles on the 2nd and 3rd day I felt like dying.
My left arm is much stronger, well I'm a lefty so no wonder, hope I can get my right arm up to snuff.
I think it is helping since I noticed I can put a lot more power in my shots when I am in an unfavorable position which seem to surprise my opponents, even me. When I'm in a good position and can execute my movement I don't feel much difference, but the change in fully extended or awkward positions is very obvious.

A previous injury I had is getting better with lifting, I had it in my shoulder but lately I noticed it's better.
Getting stronger is strong, sometimes, bones and tendons can be doing much more than obviously muscular growth would show. Muscular growth or body re-composition itself is requires a focused application of technique, but getting stronger is getting stronger, regardless of whether you can see bigger muscles or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
To the OP: I've scanned this thread and have to say that the best advice you can get on here is simply this: Do not take any weight training advice online.

If you're serious about improving explosive strength, as opposed to just 'generally messing around in the gym', then pay a properly qualified instructor to produce a training programme specific to your needs, age, condition, past injuries, etc., and then to coach you to perform the recommended movements safely in light of all those factors.
Yeah but how many in this thread do you think is "serious" about improving explosive strength? Most probably just want to improve general fitness with an emphasis on things that would be particularly helpful for TT. To that end, any workout that doesn't cause lingering pain is probably helpful.
This is a very interesting topic.
I too am going to the gym for tt, but my main aim is the reduce the chance of injury. When I do certain exercises, I also try to incorporate a bit of the 'explosiveness' in it, but I am actually trying to build enough muscles so that I won't be affected day 1 after an intense TT session. I've been mainly focusing on the quads, as my knees were my weakness, and after around 3-4 weeks, I'm definitely feeling the confidence boost, and just for reference, I've managed to increase my weight on the leg extension machine from 15-20kg, to now 35kg, 8 reps, 3 sets (It still isn't much, but my strength has improved). While doing the exercise, I try to kick out with control but more speed for the 'explosive part', instead of a slow up. On the court, I feel good moving around, and I am not afraid to keep telling myself to keep moving my legs in fear of another injury.
So I think each to their own benefit: strength vs Explosiveness. Sometimes they are not exclusive.
They're certainly not mutually exclusive! As for working out for TT, I'd suggest slightly more complex exercises than leg extensions. This is mostly because TT requires a bunch of muscles working in conjunction, and strengthening only one may lead to an imbalance that can cause poor technique or worse injuries.

If you want a focus on quads, perhaps try squats instead as they'd work out your glutes and accessory muscles a bit more. Maybe adding in some deadlifts as well which work out the quads secondarily but will help with back muscles which you'll also use a lot in TT. You can also add some step ups with or without weights, which will target your glutes more but still work out your quads, as you need to use your glutes a lot in TT as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Yeah but how many in this thread do you think is "serious" about improving explosive strength? Most probably just want to improve general fitness with an emphasis on things that would be particularly helpful for TT. To that end, any workout that doesn't cause lingering pain is probably helpful.

They're certainly not mutually exclusive! As for working out for TT, I'd suggest slightly more complex exercises than leg extensions. This is mostly because TT requires a bunch of muscles working in conjunction, and strengthening only one may lead to an imbalance that can cause poor technique or worse injuries.

If you want a focus on quads, perhaps try squats instead as they'd work out your glutes and accessory muscles a bit more. Maybe adding in some deadlifts as well which work out the quads secondarily but will help with back muscles which you'll also use a lot in TT. You can also add some step ups with or without weights, which will target your glutes more but still work out your quads, as you need to use your glutes a lot in TT as well.
Thanks for the reply dingyjbvs!
Yes I am doing squats too, with kettle dumbells currently, and I've upped that from 4kg to 12kg, again reps 10, 3 sets. I'm not doing any deadlifts as I have not got a personal trainer and without proper assistance, I am scared that I can injure myself. So I will probably be increasing my kettle dumbell weights instead.

I'll try to do some step ups. Do you mean just stepping up and then same leg stepping down?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanks for the reply dingyjbvs!
Yes I am doing squats too, with kettle dumbells currently, and I've upped that from 4kg to 12kg, again reps 10, 3 sets. I'm not doing any deadlifts as I have not got a personal trainer and without proper assistance, I am scared that I can injure myself. So I will probably be increasing my kettle dumbell weights instead.

I'll try to do some step ups. Do you mean just stepping up and then same leg stepping down?
Sounds great! Yes that's step ups.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

is a youtube channel with some good fitness exercices for table tennis
Hey, thanks for the shoutout 🙂

There's some solid advice on this thread as well as a few misconceptions sprinkled in as well. Welcome to the internet!

I did put together a short video that goes over how to create a workout that will increase athleticism for table tennis and that can be perform at home or at the gym here:

I have a free sample routine in the description too.

Hope that helps and good luck on your journey!

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Wow guys, that’s a lot of a talking right here. To be honest, you don’t need a lot “explosive” exercise to grow up in strength and explosiveness. For 99% of players, regular gym routine, like 2 times a week should be really enough. There is no reason to make it complicated, even opposite - that type of training should be simple, and must include simple exercises. From two to three sets of pull-ups, dips, and some squats with light weight, maybe some cattlebell swings should be more than enough. The main key is consistency, and ability to implement strength training to your tennis routine, but not to get overtraining from it. 80% tennis 20% strength that’s the optimal formula imho

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Recently I have started to go to the gym before my regular table tennis training, which is not ideal but I have free time like this.
So far from the 3 occasions I have been at the gym I only trained for my legs and core muscles. My goal is not to build muscle mass, just to get more explosive power. Since for long I was thinking that weight lifting with arms will take away from fine motor functions I avoided them, but a new clubmate said that the weights I should lift would not do that. I am also concerned about bulking up, I don't want that either.

I was recommended to do deadweight lifting for core strength and for my back, and that I should do weight lifting with arms too, it will not be harmful. It would only be harmful if I did it with extreme weights.

I suppose there are people here who lift so I'm curious what exercises would improve explosiveness and what machines to use since at this point I don't even know the names of each machine and how to use them properly. That new clubmate offered me some assistance in the gym to show/teach me how to do deadweight lifting safely and some other stuff.

Seth Pech made a video recently about off table training. The part on strength / gym training starts at 30min mark. Check it out if you haven already.

Reactions: Joo Se Kev