What table tennis rubbers & blade do you use?

since returning to table tennis i've used the following :

dhs hurricane king 3
fh : dhs hurricane 3 neo provincial 39 degree
bh : donic coppa x3 silver

i destroyed the fh rubber by hitting too hard and the rubber detaching from the sponge. the backhand rubber i destroyed by clipping the edge of the table and taking out a massive chunk near the top of the blade, replaced it with a new piece of coppa silver.

then i decided i wanted an all wood blade as the king felt a bit "mushy", so i bought the following :

dhs pg7 flared
fh : dhs hurricane 3 neo provincial 39 degree
bh : yinhe moon pro

also got a stiga clipper cr non-wrb in case i didn't like the pg7 ... but i really like the pg7 so the clipper is sitting sulking in my cupboard.

got 2 pieces of dhs hurricane 3 neo national blue sponge 40 degree as i wanted to see what the difference was to my non-blue sponge provincial. they are sitting in my cupboard waiting for me to make up my mind and get a hurricane long 3 or just stick with my pg7. i'll also be looking to try out tg3 blue sponge ... maybe also the old topsheet national h3 and tg3 too.

help ... i think i've been bitten by the ej bug again ;)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
New Setup as of last Thursday (July 18, 2013).

Stiga Clipper, Master Flair Handle. This is the Classic Clipper, no CR and no WRB.
FH: Xiom Sigma II Pro; Black
BH: Xiom Sigma II Europe; Red

The blade is one I used to use about a year and a half ago. For the last year and a half I have been using an Off-/All+ blade for more control, dwell time and spin. In truth, this blade does not feel that much faster than the Stiga Allround Evolution I was using last week. Just a little.

And the rubbers are not too much of a switch either. I was using Xiom Omega IV (Black-Pro for FH and Red Europe for BH). The Sigma is about the same speed, perhaps a little slower, it grabs the ball differently but gets the same amount of spin, perhaps a little more, but it has much more control and is much less jumpy. The Sigma II also has a much bigger CLICK SOUND, so you can feel the "glue effect" more with the Sigma II.

But both are really good rubbers.

This user has no status.
My new setup, I decided to go back to a Clipper. I will see how using a faster blade goes again goes.

Stiga Clipper Classic Master Flare
FH: Black Hurricane III NEO
BH: Red Tenergy 25

Ooh, how does the Tenergy 25 feel on the Clipper? I have tried an Acuda on that before and it felt quite steady :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ooh, how does the Tenergy 25 feel on the Clipper? I have tried an Acuda on that before and it felt quite steady :D

Actually, back when I had that setup, the Tenergy 25 felt great on the backhand on my Clipper. I boosted the heck out of it and it was nice and soft and spinny. I bet Tenergy 25FX would feel awesome. I have a friend who uses that for his backhand and swears by it. I like 05FX as well for backhand.

But my newest setup:

Same Clipper
FH: Xiom Sigma II Pro-Black
BH: Xiom Sigma II Europe-Red

Is really good. There is a great speed glue sound and feel with this rubber; it has a lot of control and a ton of spin, and, the speed is there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
hm Carl, which clipper is cheap and good (not need to be best). The WRB or the classic or whatever?

Talk about the setup, I have only switched my BH rubber from Boost TS/TC to thibar nimbus soft. Reasons are thibar weight is lower, and is softer, and also much more durable. But right now I have an hard time to restock it, so probably had to switch to 1Q or aurus. This same go to my FH rubber, since there is no any stock for TG2 Neo in south east asia region, so I just got on G1 on my hand for future change.

So now:
Yasaka YEO
FH: TG2 Neo (will be nitakku G1 after few months)
BH: Thibar nimbus soft (will be aurus or 1Q or?)

This user has no status.
Actually, back when I had that setup, the Tenergy 25 felt great on the backhand on my Clipper. I boosted the heck out of it and it was nice and soft and spinny. I bet Tenergy 25FX would feel awesome. I have a friend who uses that for his backhand and swears by it. I like 05FX as well for backhand.

But my newest setup:

Same Clipper
FH: Xiom Sigma II Pro-Black
BH: Xiom Sigma II Europe-Red

Is really good. There is a great speed glue sound and feel with this rubber; it has a lot of control and a ton of spin, and, the speed is there.

Oh that's great :D not many people appreciate T25 these days I've found. What booster did you use?
I am yet to try the Xiom rubbers, might give it a try when I step out of nationals practice hahaha :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh that's great :D not many people appreciate T25 these days I've found. What booster did you use?
I am yet to try the Xiom rubbers, might give it a try when I step out of nationals practice hahaha :)

I just did the baby oil and paraffin version of boosting. I definitely got the right expansion of the sponge and I definitely got the sponge softer.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
hm Carl, which clipper is cheap and good (not need to be best). The WRB or the classic or whatever?

Talk about the setup, I have only switched my BH rubber from Boost TS/TC to thibar nimbus soft. Reasons are thibar weight is lower, and is softer, and also much more durable. But right now I have an hard time to restock it, so probably had to switch to 1Q or aurus. This same go to my FH rubber, since there is no any stock for TG2 Neo in south east asia region, so I just got on G1 on my hand for future change.

So now:
Yasaka YEO
FH: TG2 Neo (will be nitakku G1 after few months)
BH: Thibar nimbus soft (will be aurus or 1Q or?)

I just like the most simple Clipper. No CR, no WRB, just a Classic Clipper. But, if you are looking for less weight in a backhand rubber, you should know, a Clipper is not a light blade. They are usually over 90 grams and can run from 90-100 grams. Perhaps even higher. The Clipper I am using is 91 grams and it feels like the lightest a Clipper could be while playing like a Clipper. If it was any lighter it would not feel like a good blade.

As far as forehand rubber, if you are having trouble finding TG3, you might try Tibar Grip-S which is Blue Whale topsheet with German sponge. I have heard good things about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Hi everyone,

I have several blades, but my main setup now is,
Adidas Hypertouch ST (88gr)
Calibra LT Spin
Almana Sound

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
My new setup: