What would or could happen when I downgrade rubbers for a period of time?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hi together,

I have a more or less hypothetical question.
Our season will be over soon, and then the long summer brake until October starts.

What are your thoughts on the following topic?
I am thinking about downgrading my rubbers for a period of time in this summer break, i.e. for three months.

I am playing with Victas Fire Fall FC blade (similar to Butterfly Inneforce ALC) and Xiom Vega Pro rubbers.

What would or could happen if I use the time now to practice and play with rubbers that are a lot slower. Like rubbers with no or less catapult or no speed glue effect.
For example rubbers like: Xiom Musa, Andro Good, Joola Zack, Tibhar Speedy Spin..

Regardless of the results in the first weeks in practice matches, will there be positive or negative effects when using these kind of rubbers?
Can the gameplay or abilities improve?
Or is it a bad idea, all in all?

Would love to hear your thoughts on that.
Cheers ☺️

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
What you are not telling us is at what level you are competing.
If you are a very serious tournament player I would recommend taking a holiday from the racket and maybe take up cycling and the gym to build up strength for the next season. Changing gear will only confuse your muscle memories.
Of course if you are a "mediocre club hack" like myself it will not matter at all. I experiment during the whole season with different blades and rubbers and still have a lot of fun. 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
It really depends on what your plan is. IF you want to learn more about looping and controlled play, I think downgrading to slow rubbers will help. But it must be tough to stick with as you will lose some games at the beginning.

Reactions: PakDa1988
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi together,

Our season will be over soon, and then the long summer brake until October starts.

I am thinking about downgrading my rubbers for a period of time in this summer break, i.e. for three months.

I am playing with Victas Fire Fall FC blade (similar to Butterfly Inneforce ALC) and Xiom Vega Pro rubbers.

What would or could happen if I use the time now to practice and play with rubbers that are a lot slower. Like rubbers with no or less catapult or no speed glue effect.
For example rubbers like: Xiom Musa, Andro Good, Joola Zack, Tibhar Speedy Spin..

Regardless of the results in the first weeks in practice matches, will there be positive or negative effects when using these kind of rubbers?

Cheers ☺️
No benefit for a serious or improving attacking spin player IMHO. Slower blade might have a benefit for certain kinds of practice, but in general, it is best to master what you are going to play with and rubber has a bigger impact than the blade. Wasting time with what you are not going to play with only has an advantage if it teaches you that you should switch to what you just tested because it makes you play better. The problem though is that even stuff that can make you play somewhat better may not be fun to play with. And if you try to gain the same speed without physical and technical improvement, you may injure yourself.

Long story short, I strongly recommend you stick with rubbers you are going to play with, traditional stuff is not seriously used for good reason unless you have a less spin oriented style

Hi together,

Cheers ☺️
You will most likely improve your technique for close to the table but.. don’t forget it will take time to switch back too…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Thank you everyone for your opinions and comments.
Because some of you asked:
My current level is around 2000 US Rating I would guess. Or around 1600-1700 in German TTR rating as I am practicing there som time with club mates and compete there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thank you everyone for your opinions and comments.
Because some of you asked:
My current level is around 2000 US Rating I would guess. Or around 1600-1700 in German TTR rating as I am practicing there som time with club mates and compete there.

I'd consider harder, and perhaps slower (chinese or hybrid), rubber on the FH...