Who was the first singles world champion using long pips ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
the japanese player who always beat up Schöler ?😀
Ha Ha I did not know that , Now I better understand why Schöler was so traumatized that he successfully masterminded 3 regulations against long pips in addition to the primary reason.
But sorry wrong answer though

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I suspect you may mean Deng ya ping

however the first twiddler was possibly Li Fu Jung the finalst in the 60’ s against zhuang ze dong And team leader later CNT. At that time the chinese were secretive about their techniques so when Li twiddled on service the 0x surface made a hollow sound which journalists thought was a plain wood contact.
ten years later had discovered how to defend with LP and thought of black and black and eventuallly rule changes made bat inspecton part of the rules
really scholers legislation was a aimed at combi bats and black & black
I have a flm of dvoracek losng the european championsip to John Hilton
JH had a black & black setup and dvoracek just could not handle it.
It made a major final into a fiasco
I had a half hr knock with JH about 6 months before that final because I also had B &B so we were counterhiting twiddling every stroke, It was very interesting but awful at the same time.
I gave up B&B after18 months because it felt unfair and unenjoyable.
LP combi now is a respectable type of eqipment but still misunderstood by many

Last edited:
This user has no status.

yeah i know,was a joke,
His name was Itoh and he was a cpen attacker,
Well the joke would be that everybody suspected Schöler was the LP player but he was a chopper,and in Munich were Itoh won he played a 2 Hour match against also a defensive japanese Player,so the other japanese defensive player may have used LP but could not verify that.
Hell I am not that old,i wasn´t alive then,lol:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

yeah i know,was a joke,
His name was Itoh and he was a cpen attacker,
Well the joke would be that everybody suspected Schöler was the LP player but he was a chopper,and in Munich were Itoh won he played a 2 Hour match against also a defensive japanese Player,so the other japanese defensive player may have used LP but could not verify that.
Hell I am not that old,i wasn´t alive then,lol:)

actually jpen
probably the japanese chopper was Takashima who at that time used Plous a normal butterfly rubber both sides right up to 1977 after that he used LP

at that time 1971 the chinese were secretive about their equipment and there was no rule requiring racket inspection. It seems the idea of combi play Black & Black did not occur to China straight away

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
so you were alive and watched it live?so can you confirm he used it?
cause there are speculations to this day about that match,but all hearsay.
Cause wouldn´t then he be the first to use LP on a grand stage?
I am not sure which exact match or championship (year) you are referring to but I never said it was him

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

I visited the Birmingham 77 Worlds for the whole 14 days and was able to meet many of the players at different times
in particular
the swedes
Stellan Bengtsson
Kjell Johannson
The french
Secretin
the japanese
Maehara
Kohno
Takashima
Inoue
China
Liang ge liang
Guo Yue Hua
Huang Liang
Li Zhen shih

They were polite and friendly
I got t to see the bats of
Kohno
ph spectol
Takashima
inverted Plous both sides
I seem to remember that the chinese though friendly were a bit mysterious with their bats
but using my cameras Telephoto lens I could clearly see that Huang liang and liang ge liang both had LP on the Backhand
also at birmingham Butterfly and Stiga were marketing their version of chinese LP so the public began to understand what was going on

Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
thx pingpongdaddy,i meant him OP.
And the Match was Schöler vs Takashima in Munich
I am not sure if Scholer played Takashima in singles event earlier rounds at Munich in 1969
As I said, the finals was between Scholer & Shigeo Itoh (not a long pips player)
Itoh won in 5 games after Scholer was leading 2-0
To be very clear Scholer also was not a long pips player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

I visited the Birmingham 77 Worlds for the whole 14 days and was able to meet many of the players at different times
in particular
the swedes
Stellan Bengtsson
Kjell Johannson
The french
Secretin
the japanese
Maehara
Kohno
Takashima
Inoue
China
Liang ge liang
Guo Yue Hua
Huang Liang
Li Zhen shih

They were polite and friendly
I got t to see the bats of
Kohno
ph spectol
Takashima
inverted Plous both sides
I seem to remember that the chinese though friendly were a bit mysterious with their bats
but using my cameras Telephoto lens I could clearly see that Huang liang and liang ge liang both had LP on the Backhand
also at birmingham Butterfly and Stiga were marketing their version of chinese LP so the public began to understand what was going on

All this is good information.
However 1977 World's is NOT the event I am talking about

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+2]THE PIMPS CLAMMY TO FEEL[/size]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_World_Table_Tennis_Championships

THE HISTORY OF CHINA PINGPANG SPORT.
--While at the Kalkutta WC 1973, the Chinese younger teamers Liang Geliang and Lu Yuansheng did stumped all the foreigners by using the black pimps "clammy to feel" on some team matches. .
----------------------------
By courtesy of the China Ping-Pang Magazine Commemorial 100-Th Edition.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
[size=+2]THE ---- CLAMMY TO FEEL[/size]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_World_Table_Tennis_Championships

THE HISTORY OF CHINA PINGPANG SPORT.
--While at the Kalkutta WC 1973, the Chinese younger teamers Liang Geliang and Lu Yuansheng did stumped all the foreigners by using the black pimps "clammy to feel" on some team matches. .
----------------------------
It is NOT 1973
And I suspect Igor is purposely & knowingly using a bad (non family) word for pips or pimples , which is a forum policy & rules violation unless it is a language translation engine error. just like North Americans use a bad (copyrighted) phrase "ping pong" knowingly for table tennis & Chinese (& Koreans & Japanese) etc use the phrase "ping pong" not so knowingly though it is still very wrong

Last edited: