Yan An hook serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for sharing the video!
I have been trying to do this serve but I am mainly only able to do the one with no spin.
I will try to do the other variations.
trick is don't try and hit too hard

underspin and no spin to me is good enough to get into match play.
top spin one will be more risky if done wrong, as the ball could end up too high.

• Love
Reactions: KM1976 and JeffM
This user has no status.
Thanks for sharing the video!
I have been trying to do this serve but I am mainly only able to do the one with no spin.
I will try to do the other variations.
This movement can generate some serious sidebackspin and sidetopspin - it's my bread and butter serve at this point. This serve is why I transitioned to full grip instead of the Waldner service grip for my pendulum serves - in order to serve both serves with the same preparation movement for max serve spin variation. The forearm supination wrapping around the right side of the ball (which Yan An demonstrates perfectly) is the secret of huge spin production and control there. The other part is to minimise arm movement as much as possible and figure out some ways to use weight transfer to power the serve directly - this makes the serve spinnier and also makes the motion faster and more sudden, making it more difficult to read.

• Love
Reactions: latej and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
This movement can generate some serious sidebackspin and sidetopspin - it's my bread and butter serve at this point. This serve is why I transitioned to full grip instead of the Waldner service grip for my pendulum serves - in order to serve both serves with the same preparation movement for max serve spin variation. The forearm supination wrapping around the right side of the ball (which Yan An demonstrates perfectly) is the secret of huge spin production and control there. The other part is to minimise arm movement as much as possible and figure out some ways to use weight transfer to power the serve directly - this makes the serve spinnier and also makes the motion faster and more sudden, making it more difficult to read.
I will have to focus on the forearm bit as I have only been using the wrist mainly to do the 'wrapping'.
Might be what I am missing.

Reactions: latej and blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I will have to focus on the forearm bit as I have only been using the wrist mainly to do the 'wrapping'.
Might be what I am missing.
forearm and waist, and shuffling weight from your right to left (if you are a right hander)

Its a sudden impact on the ball with a big "body punch" onto the side of the ball.
hence I said, don't try and hit too hard.
All your hands should try and do is to grip as much ball into the sponge as possible and allow the rest of your body to add the power and weight behind the ball. The body's weight and power will determine if it is a short or long serve.

This user has no status.
I have a reasonable hook serve, learnt it during COVID lockdowns!!!

Tom Lodziac has a couple of good vids with Craig Bryant showing his hook serve.
MLFC (Ma Long Fan Club) done some good tutorials on this serve as well.
Ti Long too.

find these, they are well worth watching.
Craig Bryant's one is ridiculous lol..even going to double and triple fakes 😂😂😂

Reactions: JeffM