Your personal "hatelist" of players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
If we can rephrase this as 'which player has something related to table tennis you wish they hadn't' I'm going to say every player that's retired too early.

Xu Xin, looking at you big guy. How's about two seasons playing in the Bundesliga?

Wang Hao, oi! How's about getting back into shape for the summer and seeing how you would cope in the French league?

This user has no status.
Be aware this is all in good faith and I do not go out of my way to get upset about this and still actively watch each of these players.

I have levels:

Top level (actually causes me annoyance):

Nashad Alamayin - the most blatantly illegal serve i've seen in years. Maybe as a lefty I often com across his style of hiding behind his shoulder and arm all the time by accident. But that combined with the arrogance and vocal annoyance when it doesnt go his way puts him in my top spot

Tomokazu Harimoto - annoying mostly because he is actually good and I want to like him, but so loud and annoying, I actually show other people table tennis videos (rec players mostly) but have to avoid TH as I actually get looked at like i'm mental for it because of his overindulgence in scream metal. I also get MORE annoyed with his "excuse" of being nervous so it's ok to be so obviously disrespectful and rude to his opponents in what is typically a humble sport.

Mid Level ( I root for them to loose but if they win I find it better than above):

WCQ - cheater, bad bad cheating on serves, is good enough to not need this

Sweedish boyband man - Not really "all that", decent level but acts aloof and superior to his opponents often for no reason considering being provincial level at best.

Alexis Lebrun - rude and empassioned. But at least his passion comes across as genuine whereas TH is clearly a fake manufactured technique.

Low level:
Me - because I sometimes forget to enjoy myself when I play very poorly, and since im not a pro I only play for enjoyment and should remember to do better.

This user has no status.
Yeah i feel alexis lebrun is more emotional than felix, which probably explains the ranking differance. The only time i remember felix being annoying was that doubles game in the world champs in durban.

But for me anyone who beats Lin Yun Ju is no longer my friend for the next 2 weeks.

I see nothing wrong with some loud celebration, it helps builds confidence when needed. Table tennis is the same a mental sport as physical. And shouting can help that.

I think sometime people should just let the pros do what they want, they deserve to be there and sometimes they have bad days.

This user has no status.
They are forced to act like that by their superiors.
To make it more attractive for the audience.
Like roman gladiators.

It's no coincidence that top players are annoying while lower ranked players act like normal people.
But to the lower ranked-due to the unpopularity of table tennis compared to other sports- often have a main job and table tennis is just a hobby, leading them to not think of much of loss a simply, its not that deep for them.

I think the choing and allezing seem abnormal as it is just a singular voice from the player. If a whole croud was behind them it would feel more reasonable, and people would complain less.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Hate is a too powerful negative, and the hate cycle all too commonly used to bait clicks, further fuel anomosities and eventually break down the fabric of society should be deprived oxygen, not fed.

That being said, I'm holding unfair play and players committing it in very low esteem. Here's looking at you, Sun Yingsha and Wang Manyu.

SYS and WMY title steal

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Gauzy for me... the French just have mannerisms that come off as deeply arrogant and disrespectful.
Wow...What a huge overgeneralization...."The French just have mannerisms that come off as arrogant and disrespectful". WTF !!!!!!!

If one feels that a certain player is arrogant or disrespectful, that is one thing. To generalize like that about people from a certain country or culture is totally unacceptable. For example.....While there may be some Americans that are fat, loud , uncultured and obnoxious, that does not mean that Americans in general like that.

Discriminatory and racist comments like that are way not cool at all. There should be zero tolerance in this forum or anywhere for that kind of nonsense.

I suggest that Jeffrey review and amend his offensive comment.

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Never said they are deeply arrogant and disrespectful, just that is how their mannerisms come off and I hate watching it. It's a cultural mismatch, those common French mannerisms just come off like that. The video of Gauzy complaining about a let that wasn't called sickens me, but I am sure in France that is just how they complain and see nothing wrong with it. I find the mannerisms of Lebruns, and French soccer players as arrogant too, hence why it seems to be a French thing that doesn't mesh.

It's like the Chinese having a common word in their language that is very offensive in America. Nothing wrong with how the Chinese use it, but I still don't like to hear it. It's a mismatch.

It's like playing soccer in South America where it is perfectly acceptable to exaggerate injuries. As an American who played American football, I will never understand why you want to admit to an enemy that they can hurt you but the South American's see no problem. I am aware enough that it is a cultural mismatch.
Wow again. This guy just doubled down on his inappropriate and inaccurate comments..Shameful !!
He wrote "these common French mannerisms". Furthermore, he just wrote "but I am sure that in France that is just how they complain and see nothing wrong with it". More overgeneralizations.

it would be like me writing "Jeffery comes across like a huge bigot and racist" and then come up with a not-so-good excuse claiming that all I said was that he commonly comes across that way.

How can you be SURE (as you claim) that in France that is how they complain and that it's normal? How many official league table tennis matches and official tournament matches have you played in France that makes you so sure? Probably ZERO !! (pls feel free to correct me if that is incorrect). You have probably watched some matches on the internet involving some French players and feel that is enough to generalize about how French players "come across" and behave.

On the other hand, I have played hundreds of league and tournament matches in France as well as hundreds of tournament matches in the USA over the years. I have homes in both the USA and France (both wonderful countries) and bounce back and forth for months at a time. In general, the high level of sportsmanship displayed on a regular basis in the French table tennis leagues is amazing. It's quite common for a French opponent to compliment you on a great shot or rally in the middle of a match. In fact, I have seen many times when the opponents' coach and entire team stood up and applauded a play by the opposing player. The vast majority of the times, edge ball discussions/arguments are not adversarial and one player will quite quickly say "I thought the ball might have hit/missed, but you were closer to the ball than me and whatever you say is OK with me".

So, instead of doing the "open mouth and insert foot" thing, maybe you should simply say that you are not very educated on this particular topic and you simply misspoke. Happens to all of us at times.

If you don't like Simon Gauzy for whatever reason, that is your choice. Not everybody has to like everybody. However, broad brush strokes don't work well in these situations. Incidentally, I can tell you that based on one to one conversations and interactions with Monsieur Gauzy, he is a very nice guy, very pleasant, articulate and not arrogant or disrespectful at all.

On a side note, it's awesome to see Simon playing so well recently and regaining his form. He definitely belongs in the top 20 in the world !! It would be great to see him in the top 10 once again, but that is a very difficult road to travel even though he is such a huge talent.

All the best to you!! I hope you do not make a habit of overgeneralizing based on not a lot of info and that you are indeed not a bigot nor a racist.

Reactions: riemsesy