Your thoughts on shortpimples

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
A lot depends on the SP. Not all the SP are the same. Some have more grip, spin and/or speed.
What I like is 802-40 1.8mm or even 802 1.5mm but these rubbers are much different.

802 1.5mm is easy to play with and allows you to make consistent shots because it doesn't react much to incoming spin. Many of the balls you return with 802 will have little spin. It is hard to return an incoming ball with top spin as top spin because it is hard for the rubber to grip enough to stop the incoming spin and then reverse the spin to your top spin. You can roll with the spin. That is you can chop top spin or add to the spin of a back spin thus making it your top spin. Your tactics need to change as you should take balls off the bounce pretty much at net height and rely more on placement and making the opponent move.

802-40 1.8mm has more grip but it is still hard to counter loop with it. One of my practice partners plays with 802-40 1.8mm on his BH. He has a pretty low and flat hit that is deadly because the ball seems to skid on the table and doesn't bounce up much. He can push incoming back spin balls at low speeds he his pushes don't have near the back spin as my inverted pushes. The 802-40 will react a little more to incoming spin than 802 1.5mm.

I don't see why people buy grippy and spinny SP. Why not simply buy inverted.
I have yet to try a grippy or spinny like Rakza 7 PO or TSP super spin pips.

One of my favorite players is He Zhi Wen. I know he is past his prime but I like watching how he played with 802 long ago. There are no gimmicks, just skill at out maneuvering his opponent with placement at angles. He Zhi Wen stays close to the table and doesn't seem to ever take step back.

What I have found is that if you play close to the table, SPs may be for you. I find it hard to BH loop any rubber since the ball is bouncing up and you are essentially hitting the ball 1/2 meter earlier than if you are hitting with you FH. The advantage is that you do hit the ball earlier which gives the opponent less time to react and you also have the ability to hit at wider angles when you hit the ball early. In short, SPs require a change in style of play for optimal results.

Reactions: Tadeiro

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
What do they do? What is your opinion on it, and who is it for, also has anyone used

Der Materialspezialist Spinfire​

Limited experience with these but fwiw. A guy at the club plays cpen block/smash with inverted and he switched to colored spinfire on one side. He is using a hexagon (cybershape) and some other very fast blade. The spinfire really works for him. It blocks better than his inverted, and smashes extremely fast and nasty.

I play a more spinny, less pure SP style with Moristo, and I wasn't impressed with spinfire. But I didn't give it a lot of chance, and possibly my blade didn't suit it as well as the hexagon. Anyway I gave up on it and switched to keiler mp, which so far I like a lot.