Please help me. Advice needed for BH rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I'm using Viscaria and Tenergy 80 on BH. I like the rubber but I don't block very well with it, it's a little too bouncy for me and my block often go off the table. I'm looking for some BH rubber that have similar feeling, doesn't need to be as fast as T80 but need to be easy for opening loop (lifting underspin balls), flicks, and better (more control) for block, drive and punch.

What do you guys think? I'm considering T05 fx, Gold Arc 3, Xiom Omega V Asia but I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you.

This user has no status.
Sorry for rude reply, but,

Why so many people asking for "rubber or blade that great for BOTH looping and blocking"?

This is kinda a lesser obvious variant of, "I want a spinny rubber that not sensitive to incoming spin". [emoji28]

Looping and Blocking demand opposite kind of equipment, so any recs shall be a compromise between those. [emoji28]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Sorry for rude reply, but,

Why so many people asking for "rubber or blade that great for BOTH looping and blocking"?

This is kinda a lesser obvious variant of, "I want a spinny rubber that not sensitive to incoming spin". [emoji28]

Looping and Blocking demand opposite kind of equipment, so any recs shall be a compromise between those. [emoji28]

no problem, mate. I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense. I asked for advice because many people claimed otherwise, that some rubbers are good at both looping and blocking. If not equally good, maybe great at looping and good at blocking or vice versa.

I'm just trying to find the perfect balance for me because my BH loop is pretty good but BH block is below average even if I try to practice it a lot, so I want to improve my BH block even if it hurts my loop a little.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Both your Viscaria and Tenergy 80 are great for loop and drive style, so if you insist to keep your Viscaria, you can try these for your backhand. They are typical All rounder Ouaiche play style rubber. [emoji6]

Donic Bluefire JP 03 (highly recommended)
Nittaku Alhelg
Stiga Airoc S
Donic Coppa JO
Adidas TenZone Ultra SF
DHS Gold Arc 3
Palio CJ8000 Biotech 36-38° Japanese Sponge
Xiom Omega V Tour
Xiom Omega 3 Euro
Andro Hexer
TSP XSF-1 21 Offensive Sponge

Reactions: iammaru
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have a different suggestion. BH blocks work much better with a soft hand. Try to make your hand very soft and relaxed the next time you practice BH block and see what happens. Also, light touch brush/loop contact on blocks does something cool to give you more control and helps keep the ball on the table.

Try and see if that makes it so T80 is good for blocking for you.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl will tell I can spin the cover off the ball and block with a 2-3 yr old sheet of Aurus, (but only on the Der_Echte Special) but honestly, among new rubbers, the FH rubber in my signature does the job. Blade plays a factor, so does taking it off the bounce and soft grip pressure, even LESSENING grip pressure at impact or FIRMING pressure at impact. Every company makes one or more of such a class of rubber, should be an easy find.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl will tell I can spin the cover off the ball and block with a 2-3 yr old sheet of Aurus, (but only on the Der_Echte Special) but honestly, among new rubbers, the FH rubber in my signature does the job. Blade plays a factor, so does taking it off the bounce and soft grip pressure, even LESSENING grip pressure at impact or FIRMING pressure at impact. Every company makes one or more of such a class of rubber, should be an easy find.

I've even seen Der_Echte loop with a banana peel as his BH rubber. And any low, heavy backspin ball to Der_'s BH is going to get the banana, that is for sure. :) Okay, Der's BH flip, he says it is not the banana. But it definitely has power behind it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My flip is a WHIP, now I gotta make a vid of doing a flip while eating a banana, so I can call it a proper banana flip. Almost no one has the ballz (or stupidity) to attempt some of the BH shots I try. IF I am in position leveraged in position, I am simply gunna make the play no matter how low the ball is. My problem is to increase the frequency of how often I achieve that position/balance/leverage before or at ball.

Really, that kind of thing is a quality problem for every amature player, some more an issue, some less, but it greatly affects level and ball quality.

Getting back to the rubbers, sure, non-spin sensitive rubbers rock for certain shots and suck for some. If you cannot get the ball into the topsheet and into the sponge and quickly accelerate it... you will never get good spin or quality from that rubber, you would have to rely on the crutch know as TENERGY, but even that crutch will get slippery in two weeks of daily play or on any humid day.

I have the kind of impact to make good use of a worn out allround OFF rubber, many better players than me have that impact too.

I am very glad NL has had a year plus running conversation about whip mechanics and impact dynamics. It has caused my to think about how I do stuff naturally to transfer power and make spin, which is important in my shot quality.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I should mail Carl my 300 HR + used FH rubber and have him try it on any of his OFF- or OFF setups.

I would bet that even wore out as it is, he could re-loop a ball BH like nothing or block FH with it or even have the ballz to do those hot looking loop to loop FH rallies with it. Even a worn out sheet of Karis is a BOSS of handling topsin. It wont be devestating overpowering, but it is sure-fire consistent no miss and still PRESSURE to opponent in those rallies. You get back balls with quality your opponent thinks you are incapable of. The shock factor (of your un-believing opponent that you returned his hot loop and poured a little hot sauce on it) is one of the most un-written aspects of the rubber.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl's Yellow Banana said:
I've even seen Der_Echte loop with a banana peel as his BH rubber. (OK, it was a REALLY worn out sheet of some rubber) And any low, heavy backspin ball to Der_'s BH is going to get the banana, that is for sure. :) Okay, Der's BH flip, he says it is not the banana. But it definitely has power behind it.

Carl had seen me break out the BH weapon on my first few visits to NYC, but that first time we invaded 40 'n Back Painz' NYCISC TTC is where I think Carl really cemented his opinion of my Bh vs a short underspin ball to my BH. Carl and I had a table WAY back in the back of the club by a wall... good thing there was a wall there, because I really tried to crack every other ball ball Carl gave to my BH on his serve practice. Carl also that day made good serves and some nifty flips I never saw (he musta been working with the Goon Squad in their septic tank prison on an early-release program) All in all it was a fun night of energy expending, of course I was at a disadvantage of expending a lot of enrgy just to get to NYC, but NYC and my TT friends gave me enough adrenaline energy for sure.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have the kind of impact to make good use of a worn out allround OFF rubber, many better players than me have that impact too.

I am very glad NL has had a year plus running conversation about whip mechanics and impact dynamics. It has caused my to think about how I do stuff naturally to transfer power and make spin, which is important in my shot quality.

Guys, if you blinked you may have missed it. But this here is some of that gold that gets the goon squad chasing Der_Echte all over the country. And it may also be why he is so skilled at getting them to fall through trap doors off the Brooklyn Bridge and into the East River.

Read it. Read it again. Read it again. Now, wait for it....wait for it....Hit the like button. That is real TT insight to learn from.

Last edited: