Penhold switching rubbers

This user has no status.
So a few months ago I got into table tennis and also bought my first custom setup (Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive penhold, KTL Rapid Speed for FH and KTL Pro XT for BH). I've been enjoying the game but I would like to switch my forehand rubber for something more tacky at some point to get more spinny serves and to get better at looping. Since I heard that tacky rubbers require proper follow through and technique. I've been looking at DHS Hurricane 3 Neo and DHS Skyline 3 and 2 Neo versions.

Any suggestions or advice? I already got some from my club from a more experienced player that said my BH rubber that is more tacky feels better to play with. But the Pro XT's tackiness has worn off quite a lot, so I think one of the three mentioned would last longer and be of higher quality.

Of course I'd also replace my BH rubber since I want my tacky FH rubber to be black to make sure it has maximum tackiness. So feel free to suggest RPB rubbers as well. For RPB I've looked at soft rubbers like Pro XT Green Dragon and Pro XP.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hurricane 3 NEO is the more popular rubber and it is very cheap. You should try it for a couple of months at least to see if you like it. If the rubber feels too "dead" you can either learn to boost it or try the hurricane 8 (mid-hard) instead. The hurricane 8 is a heavy rubber though. For the BH, I tried a friend's Rozena and it felt very good for developing strokes. I personally use the Tenergy 64.

This user has no status.
Hurricane 3 NEO is the more popular rubber and it is very cheap. You should try it for a couple of months at least to see if you like it. If the rubber feels too "dead" you can either learn to boost it or try the hurricane 8 (mid-hard) instead. The hurricane 8 is a heavy rubber though. For the BH, I tried a friend's Rozena and it felt very good for developing strokes. I personally use the Tenergy 64.

Yes H3N seems like the best option. I doubt it would feel too slow since I am not that experienced with very fast rubbers. Rozena seems quite expensive, I'm mostly looking at rubbers in the 20-30€ price range. My current setup weighs 175 grams, but it shouldn't be a problem if it gains like 10 grams more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Yes H3N seems like the best option. I doubt it would feel too slow since I am not that experienced with very fast rubbers. Rozena seems quite expensive, I'm mostly looking at rubbers in the 20-30€ price range. My current setup weighs 175 grams, but it shouldn't be a problem if it gains like 10 grams more.

Try Neo Skyline 3. Slightly less power than Hurricane but with better control. A safer choice if this is your first Chinese tacky rubber

This user has no status.
Try Neo Skyline 3. Slightly less power than Hurricane but with better control. A safer choice if this is your first Chinese tacky rubber

I do have some experience with the Pro XT but its tackiness doesn't last very long. Some people have said that the Skyline 3 is faster than H3N. Its probably a very slight difference I wouldn't even notice though.