Looking for review on playing characteristics Victas V15 Extra Vs Tenergy 05 Hard?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi guys!
I currently use Victas V15 Extra in 2.0mm on a slow defensive blade. I am a modern defender - using all of the typical shots a modern defender uses.
I'm intrigued by the Tenergy 05 Hard. I don't want to buy it until I know it's playing characteristics compared to V15 Extra.
Please can you guys tell me how the V15 Extra and 05 Hard compare to each other in ALL aspects of the game. Serving, blocking, pushing, looping, counter looping, fishing from back from the table, attacking from away from the table etc etc. Just a general comparison of the two rubbers during play.
I think the feel of the two rubbers won't be too dissimilar, a similar sponge hardness, am I correct?
I'd be tempted to get the 05 Hard in 1.9mm if I did decide to make the change as that would be more like the 2.0mm V15 Extra I've been using.

A general comparison of the two rubbers so I can make a decision on purchasing 05 Hard would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I think the feel of the two rubbers won't be too dissimilar, a similar sponge hardness, am I correct?

Not quite. The V15 is 47,5 degree, the t05 Hard around 52/53 when using the same scale, calculating from Butterfly´s Japanese hardness number.

I have not yet tried the V15, but there is a good chance that it is similar to the many ESN rubbers of the same hardness I have played with.

And from that experience I´d say there will be quite a difference in catapult (V15 = more) and spin (t05 = more).

I think you would have to see if t05 Hard with the low catapult still supports your behind the table shots. All things chopped should work very well. Close to the table it will demand more effort when top-spinning, due to the lower catapult as well.

All in all, t05 Hard works wonderfully in controlled situations for me, i.e. some player from 3rd Bundesliga plays everything right back into my racket ;)
Under real conditions, footwork and thus lack of precision in my strokes would make me abstain from playing such a hard rubber.

Maybe if that is not your problem, you should give it a try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Not quite. The V15 is 47,5 degree, the t05 Hard around 52/53 when using the same scale, calculating from Butterfly´s Japanese hardness number.

I have not yet tried the V15, but there is a good chance that it is similar to the many ESN rubbers of the same hardness I have played with.

And from that experience I´d say there will be quite a difference in catapult (V15 = more) and spin (t05 = more).

I think you would have to see if t05 Hard with the low catapult still supports your behind the table shots. All things chopped should work very well. Close to the table it will demand more effort when top-spinning, due to the lower catapult as well.

All in all, t05 Hard works wonderfully in controlled situations for me, i.e. some player from 3rd Bundesliga plays everything right back into my racket ;)
Under real conditions, footwork and thus lack of precision in my strokes would make me abstain from playing such a hard rubber.

Maybe if that is not your problem, you should give it a try.

Thank you for the information!

Maybe I'd be better off with one of the other Tenergy rubbers or maybe even the dignics 05 when it's released.
In terms of a modern defender, would Tenergy 05 or Tenergy 80 be better? I don't quite know what's the difference between the two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Many modern defenders use T05 such as Filus and Gionis. It depends on a lot of things but you won't know until you try.

I've actually played against Ruwen Filus last year, video on YouTube ;)

He uses Tenergy 05 Hard, which is why I wondered about it! ... I'm certainly intrigued by the Dignics 05 in 1.9mm too....