Fan Zhendong equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Oh... really?
look here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gktmZaVbSo4/VhBrNCGdv_I/AAAAAAAAAA0/3MUMzjFP6Jk/s1600/Untitled.png

and here:
infinity.JPG
for me - i'm not sure about viscaria.
trust me, i can't saying that he use viscaria with stiga handle, i just saying that you can't be sure for 100%.
PS: i tell you more about my opinion i believe that he really use viscaria ;-)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I am not quite sure how you guys have missed this. But it has been documented that FZD is using a Viscaria with a Stiga Infinity handle. You guys who were unaware of this can do your research. Why FZD would be sponsored by Stiga and use a blade from Butterfly is very debatable. But the subject of what FZD is using has been covered.

And the ultimate source is someone who knows FZD and knows for certain, that what he is using is a Viscaria with a Stiga Infinity handle.

What I am wondering about is how this subject can come up again and again with people who have not done the research making claims.

If you look at any good photo that shows the plies of FZD's blade, you can see that it is definitely 7 plies and it is definitely carbon so you can say FOR SURE that it CAN'T BE a Stiga Infinity. Do the research.

Please Carl, c´mon.
Don´t ya think your information could be already a bit outdated?
[Emoji12]
Even if your information is from well respected sources, there is no guarantee that it is 100% up to date and accurate.
Those pics and Giang´s link aren´t what i would call brandnew!

So AgavE really could be right, too... iMHO

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Please Carl, c´mon. Don´t ya think your information could be already outdated? Even if your information is from Dan himself there is no guarantee it is 100% accurate.
Those pics and Giang´s link aren´t what i would call brandnew!
So AgavE could be right...

Nope. None of them are brand new.

The photo from Agave that is in his post, that looks like an Infinity. Not sure where the photo comes from.

The photo in the link, if you look at the base of the handle where there is the least distortion from the telescopic lens, that looks like a carbon blade.

And despite the fact that none of the photos I presented were new, is there any evidence that anything has changed. I don't see any.

I personally don't care what FZD is playing with.

I just am 100% sure that every photo taken of FZD's blade during a REAL match that I have seen, if the quality of the photo is good enough for you to see the plies, it is 7 plies and carbon. I can't say anything else for sure. But knowing someone who knows him, who said he knows it is a Viscaria, I will trust that until I see evidence that it is no longer the case.

All the photos from matches that I have seen show the blade is 7 plies and carbon. Knowing one person personally who knows the guy, and there being another guy on the forum, Table Tennis Tony, who also knows the guy, and both assert that FZD is using a Viscaria, for me, until I see photos that show he is not using a Viscaria, I think the discussion is a bit pointless.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Also, Suga D, if you enlarge this image and look closely:

cache.php

There is a wood colored tape covering the plies around the handle and it stops at the wings. If you look closely at the plies at the wings, that looks like it may have a carbon ply too. The angle doesn't give a good view. But it looks like there is a carbon ply there as well. And that ply also looks like it has some of the blue that is characteristic of certain ALC blades.

I can´t see the relation to FZD Blade, but okay. As Anders wrote in the thread where i´ve posted that pic
Okay, let's refresh and twist a little.. Here is something that I have no photoproof on, but I've heard it from a man that were J Perssons coach for years, and I have also seen it myself..
Jørgen Persson has been using the TBS with a Donic handle for as long as that blade has been around ;)

I think the pic speaks for itself. But that wouldn´t say anything about FZD Blade in my book.

The photo from Agave that is in his post, that looks like an Infinity. Not sure where the photo comes from.

The photo in the link, if you look at the base of the handle where there is the least distortion from the telescopic lens, that looks like a carbon blade.

And despite the fact that none of the photos I presented were new, is there any evidence that anything has changed. I don't see any.

I just am 100% sure that every photo taken of FZD's blade during a REAL match that I have seen, if the quality of the photo is good enough for you to see the plies, it is 7 plies and carbon. I can't say anything else for sure. But knowing someone who knows him, who said he knows it is a Viscaria, I will trust that until I see evidence that it is no longer the case.

All the photos from matches that I have seen show the blade is 7 plies and carbon. Knowing one person personally who knows the guy, and there being another guy on the forum, Table Tennis Tony, who also knows the guy, and both assert that FZD is using a Viscaria, for me, until I see photos that show he is not using a Viscaria, I think the discussion is a bit pointless.

Well from following this thread and having read all your posts, you do seem to care a bit.
;)
Actually relying on hearsay even if the persons are well respected and trustable wouldn´t be an evidence in front of court and any photo would probably count more.

Well anyway, unfortunately the pics are a bit too blurry to be taken as evidence. Still i wouldn´t be too sure about this either way.

Mostly: This is nothing to get you riled up, but rather take more opinions in consideration.
´Cause we could see that it´s definitely not a viscaria handle like seen on the older pics and the dark plies are way too thick to be any type of carbon cloth PLUS they're clearly brown...
[Emoji2]

Oh... really?
look here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gktmZaVbSo4/VhBrNCGdv_I/AAAAAAAAAA0/3MUMzjFP6Jk/s1600/Untitled.png

and here:
View attachment 11064
for me - i'm not sure about viscaria.
trust me, i can't saying that he use viscaria with stiga handle, i just saying that you can't be sure for 100%.
PS: i tell you more about my opinion i believe that he really use viscaria ;-)

Still so sure?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can´t see the relation to FZD Blade, but okay. As Anders wrote in the thread where i´ve posted that pic

I think the pic speaks for itself. But that wouldn´t say anything about FZD Blade in my book.

I posted that photo because you posted a link to it and it sounded like you were saying Persson's blade was all wood. Perhaps I misunderstood why you posted the link.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And, again, two people I know who know him, you are right, it is hearsay and it is not current. But they both claimed to know for sure.

And the only thing that can be said for sure from the video footage is that Fan Zhendong is using a 7 ply blade that has one carbon ply that, in the most high quality photos, appears to be ALC.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
´Cause we could see that it´s definitely not a viscaria handle like seen on the older pics...

In my opinion, the question to ask here is, why, on a few occasions, when FZD's main blade was somehow not available, did he use a Viscaria? Why was that his backup blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I posted that photo because you posted a link to it and it sounded like you were saying Persson's blade was all wood. Perhaps I misunderstood why you posted the link.

Oh i see.
Well there must have been a tiny misunderstanding here. I guess I haven't made myself clear properly.

So here we go:
I've posted those pics to give Anders' post a solid foundation, and that his statement seems to be true.
No doubt that the wood-coloured tape has been placed there to hide the blade composition and No question, the carbon layers are clearly visible on the 'wings'.
But what i actually wanted to throw in is, that sometimes things can change.

[Emoji12]

In AgavE's pic the dark ply looks much more like a wooden layer than the obvious alc layer in the pic you've posted.
Also some players tend to change their material every now and then.
For instance Dima was seen playing Bluefire on a Dima Blade at some show tournaments.
I wouldn't go so far to say, FZD didn't take the Worldcup seriously and hence experimented with his equipment, but the pics don't look like a Viscaria to me.
Can't tell why, but to me it looks like that.

But as Boogar's mentioned before:
Knowing or not knowing this doesn't let us play any better or worse...
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh i see.
Well there must have been a tiny misunderstanding here. I guess I haven't made myself clear properly.

Fair enough. Things can change. Things do change. Dima clearly has changed equipment A LOT. More than most.

Now the biggest thing I see with those recent photos of FZD's racket is that the quality is not clear enough for me to really distinguish the plies. If I could see the distinction between the plies and I didn't see so much distortion from the telephoto lens and the blurring from imperfect focus, if the images were clear, it would be different.

Are there any photos of Fan's blade when it is sitting on the table between games from that tournament? It is much easier to focus a camera when the racket is still like that.

So yes, FZD could have changed. But we would need a clear, high quality photo to see if that was the case.

But as Boogar's mentioned before:
Knowing or not knowing this doesn't let us play any better or worse...
[Emoji6]

Funny and very true. None of this makes a
Difference except in terms of how some pros hide what they play with and often the pros who do that are not using equipment from their sponsors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Fan zhendong uses a stiga infinity. He does not use a vicaria. Also, if he changed the handles it would be hard to get it precisely in line in.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Fan zhendong uses a stiga infinity. He does not use a vicaria. Also, if he changed the handles it would be hard to get it precisely in line in.

So funny that this comes up yet again.

Here, have a look at this thread:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?16020-Viscaria-beast-mode!

If Giang can do it so easily, why would FZD have trouble doing it.

For a while I have been thinking about doing a project with a Viscaria blade. Today I received some tools which I needed to be able to do it. Thanks to Der_Echt and his many beast mode projects I know what to do and how to do it.

Many ppl of TTD and MyTT have assumed that the Viscaria is a WRB blade like other ALC blades from butterfly. Myth is busted. The newest Viscarias are solid as a rock!

More to come when I am progressing my project.

View attachment 13998

Edit:

So I proceeded my Project and it involved a Stiga Infinity blade I have gotten from China. This blade has hollow handle caps but no WRB cut in the blade it self. The size of the cut out is approx. 31x18mm. I forgot to measure the depth, but a wild guess would be that is was 3-5mm. I didn't was the WRB feeling for so I decided to fill up the caps with plastic wood which you can buy in every home depo. I did want to put nails or metal clamps inside due to I wanted to hit a weight around the 90g. (sorry Der_Echt).

View attachment 14030

View attachment 14031

View attachment 14032

View attachment 14033

Here are the result of my project. Enjoy :)

View attachment 14034

View attachment 14035

View attachment 14036

View attachment 14038

View attachment 14039

View attachment 14040

View attachment 14041

View attachment 14042

You don't have to believe it. But all of the clear photos of FZD's blade, where you can see the plies, the blade is a 7 ply blade and you can see that one of the plies is carbon, not wood. If the blade is 7 plies, the thing that can be said with complete confidence is that it is not an Infinity because the Infinity is a 5 ply wood blade.

So the first question is: why would FZD use a 7 ply blade with an Infinity handle when it definitely cannot be an Infinity?

But the issue is not worth talking about. Find good quality photos from a recent tournament and see if you can count the plies.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
In a couple of minutes I will post a few pics from Fan Zhendongs blade from the WTTC 2017 in Düsseldorf and everyone should be able to see, that it´s NOT a composite blade that he uses.
[Emoji2]
Maybe that will then put all those smartazz speculations, assumptions and statements to rest.
[Emoji6]