Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This is so true. Hurricane feels super nice on the Speed 90. But not all Hinoki feel the same. Speed 90 is the higher quality wood that you are talking about. It is "softer" compared to Speed 70, and the feeling is superior. I'm not sure if there is someone else on this forum that can verify it, but from what I've experienced, the better/softer Hinoki gives me greater shot feeling while maintaining a very spring like speed. The Speed 90 is the only wood blade that feels better than my OSP Virtuoso, but it's a jpen and a very different style of play.
Yup speed 90 has a softer feeling than other hinoki but still retain the power reservoir. Therefore short game is still good when paired with hurricane rubbers.

If you find an old 9mm speed 90 is even better. One of my clubmate has a 9mm which feels really good in control without compromising the power.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
In Singapore, I believe the ratio of PH to SH is between 55%~60% to 35%~40%. Penholder in amateur level is extremely high.

But currently we have a few number of player switch to SH after begin to playing less TT. I'm thinking of switching to SH too because have been injured my middle finger due to excessive force exert during RPB. It some more happens a day before the knockout stage of one team tournament, and I cause the team to lose the match :(

After that it took about 4 months before I do not feel much pain by reducing the activities to no more than 2 session per week, or no more than 6 session per month

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
In Singapore, I believe the ratio of PH to SH is between 55%~60% to 35%~40%. Penholder in amateur level is extremely high.

But currently we have a few number of player switch to SH after begin to playing less TT. I'm thinking of switching to SH too because have been injured my middle finger due to excessive force exert during RPB. It some more happens a day before the knockout stage of one team tournament, and I cause the team to lose the match :(

After that it took about 4 months before I do not feel much pain by reducing the activities to no more than 2 session per week, or no more than 6 session per month
That's unfortunate. RPB does put pressure on your fingers. I usually use the wrist training tool to increase my strength.

I was wondering, has anyone tried Hurricane 3-50 for RPB bh? As I understand it, this is the closest commercial DHS rubber to what Xu Xin uses. I wouldn't normally consider a tacky rubber for BH, but I've noticed Xu Xin does a lot of hook serves like Wang Hao did, but uses the reverse side as a mixup frequently. I'm pretty keen to learn both the hook serve and the RPB mixup, so a tacky rubber is ideal. I realise it will be slower than a tensory Euro, but do you think it's worth it? have you tried a boosted softer sponge tacky for bh?

Check out the point at 11:00. Ridiculously slow and high arc, spinny RPB loop as an opener, and then an RPB block-chop?!?! i've never seen this shot! Xu Xin is definitely trying to learn new tricks. I'm super super impressed with his play at the moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I always want to try that too. But i read a Chinese forum skyline 3-60 has better control than H3-50.

Unfortunately the new plastic ball is killing the spin oriented players like ML and XX. Players like FZD and LGY stay close to the table and hit hard to score points. So they use non tacky BH rubber.

Xu Xin's Old School Backhand Loops & Blocks & RPB!
( )Xu Xin Vs Li Yang : U17 [Chinese 2006]​

@1:23 @1:33 @1:47 @1:57 @2:25 @2:52 @3:07 @3:20 @3:49 *@4:06* @4:23 @4:29 @4:46 @5:00 @5:04 @5:27@5:44 @6:42 @6:59 @7:04 @7:20

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Xu Xin's Old School Backhand Loops & Blocks & RPB!
( )Xu Xin Vs Li Yang : U17 [Chinese 2006]​

@1:23 @1:33 @1:47 @1:57 @2:25 @2:52 @3:07 @3:20 @3:49 *@4:06* @4:23 @4:29 @4:46 @5:00 @5:04 @5:27@5:44 @6:42 @6:59 @7:04 @7:20

XX's footwork was faster back then. But i feel like he stayed closer to the table back then with faster ball speed. I can't understand why he tends to step away from the table now with a slower ball.

I also notice his RPB was so consistent (look at 4:10).

LOL Xu Xin's has lost a step. Slower than before!

XX's footwork was faster back then. But i feel like he stayed closer to the table back then with faster ball speed. I can't understand why he tends to step away from the table now with a slower ball.

I also notice his RPB was so consistent (look at 4:10).

Yes! We all get older!

His recent play suggests that he is trying to move stylistically more towards active block/counter styles of FZD and ML who have been countering his spin play pretty hard. His service is better than it's ever been IMO, and his close to the table flicks/kills seem second to none in the game atm. I'm not so sure he is slowing down, but rather not relying on footwork as much? My Penhold coach thinks PH cannot be played optimally after age 30, a primary reason that SH is better. i think he might be right, but I'm pretty slow anyway :p.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
New blade! American Hinoki!

Hi guys!

I want to share pics of my new (and probably last penhold) blade, wich just arrived!

This is a customized 1 ply that I ordered from Kevin (American Hinoki).
I asked him to make an asymmetrical blade shape near the handle because I want to do RBP with a Jpen (please note that I'm left handed). With a normal shape Jpen RBP is very unconfortable because you can't angle the blade very much since the index finger blocks it.

I also asked him to make a very light blade, under 70g. And he did it at 64g!! Super light for a 1 ply!!
Due to low weight, he rated this blade as ALL (wich is perfect for me since I'm a beginner)

Unfortunately I can't test it because my rubbers haven't arrived yet, it will probably take some weeks
cache.php

This was my first customized blade and I'm very happy with it (tough haven't played yet haha). I recommend Kevin!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys!

I want to share pics of my new (and probably last penhold) blade, wich just arrived!

This is a customized 1 ply that I ordered from Kevin (American Hinoki).
I asked him to make an asymmetrical blade shape near the handle because I want to do RBP with a Jpen (please note that I'm left handed). With a normal shape Jpen RBP is very unconfortable because you can't angle the blade very much since the index finger blocks it.

I also asked him to make a very light blade, under 70g. And he did it at 64g!! Super light for a 1 ply!!
Due to low weight, he rated this blade as ALL (wich is perfect for me since I'm a beginner)

Unfortunately I can't test it because my rubbers haven't arrived yet, it will probably take some weeks
cache.php

This was my first customized blade and I'm very happy with it (tough haven't played yet haha). I recommend Kevin!
Beautiful blade. Very different look from the pale white Japanese hinoki.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
and my PH life is moving on, my new weapon:cool:
pretty happy about thatView attachment 12446View attachment 12447
Wow expensive blade. I have heard a lot of good words about Hao 3. TG3 is a great rubber. Bear in mind the "Neo" only gives a little bit of booster effect. Therefore the sponge can still feels quite dead and hard.

I do at least 3 layers of oil booster to my Neo Hurricane.

Just see how it goes.