Homemade table tennis blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
IMG_0296.jpgIMG_0298.jpg
New blade, this time wenge outer pile. Ash handle. 88g in weight and 5.9mm thick.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hi MDP
The Wenge blade in the thread earlier is my current blade and is plays great. Good pace, great feel and very controllable - it's much better than my Tibhar SPW which is now redundant. I haven't had chance to try the two new blades yet,
Interesting how people are different, I like the dramatic wood, I get inspiration for Ross Leidy's blades and others with the unusual woods.

As for the Kiri - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142265682...49&var=441323306502&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I think I saw a post from Bobpuls somewhere which suggested trying karate break boards so thank you to him!
It's too thick but I got a friend who has a planer/thicknesser who took it down to 3.8mm.

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
The plies are ayous - limba - walnut. This was a blade I made for someone who contacted me after seeing my first walnut blade which now belongs to AndySmith.

Funny how kiri wood only finds it way to europe in the form of planks made to break. Blade makers sure need to be creative on where to get materials...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
The plies are ayous - limba - walnut. This was a blade I made for someone who contacted me after seeing my first walnut blade which now belongs to AndySmith.

Funny how kiri wood only finds it way to europe in the form of planks made to break. Blade makers sure need to be creative on where to get materials...

MDP
Two questions if that's Ok?
What glue do you use? I was going to try other types as PVA is quite soft but I've found that if I use harder woods then it works well.
Also how do you finish your blades? Oil/varnish etc.
I have to say that your blades look so 'crisp' and 'clean' - really professional! Something for me to aspire to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I am using different kinds of pva-glue and other types of glue. Still experimenting to see which fits me best.
Most of the time I don't use any finishing products as I like the feel of bare wood, but I finish them with oil when the customer wants a finish.
Thanks Mdp. I am going to try polyurethaneg glue on my next blade so I'll let you know how it goes!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Another new blade, this time Kiri - mahogany - walnut with a beech handle. After a few goes I've finally managed to get a template of an anatomical handle that I'm happy with. This has been made with polyurethane glue rather than PVA. It's definitely harder and therefore the blade feels a little like a commercial one. I've also noticed that the sweet spot seems larger. It's 88g and 6.4mm thick so the weight isn't an issue. The only problem was I damaged the edge a little when oiling the blade!
Other than that I'm happy with this one.
IMG_1535.jpg