Homemade table tennis blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Siam's blades are indeed beautiful, but they also are very expensive!
From what I saw, the cheapest one was about 73 usd, and the most expensive was 427 usd!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Three new blades. Two of them are 5 ply: koto - douglas fir - ayous but they have different handles shapes and materials. These two are for other people who I've worked with to select the handle materials which are zebrano/ash and oak, and the second is elm burr/mahogany and spruce. 5.7mm and 86g.
The other is a variation on the walnut - mahogany and kiri blade but with a rosewood outer ply - this one is for me! The handle is lime, olive and rosewood. I'm excited to see how the rosewood compares to the walnut.

IMG_0677.jpgIMG_0654.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Beautiful blades again Ginja!
These kind of handles with two or more woods reminds a little bit to me of Ross Leidy style.
Ginja, do you have some more fancy woods? For example, like this red wood and blue/green from pic below. These colors are beautiful and looks awesome on handle!

20160302-DSC_2771.jpg

edit: ah, I'm also looking forward to your impressions regarding walnut vs rosewood!

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
To be honest... In first I was really impressed by this type of handles like Ross leidy.... They looks beautiful, but you have to sacrifice playing characteristics and do just simple wood blades, otherways you get very heavy blades even if the handle is hollow. And shiny polished grip is also bad when sweat strike from behind. But they look fine..... I'm trying now to handle deep color impregnation... But still I'm not good with it... Maybe someone here has some kind of experience..?

Last edited:
Reactions: NeatRiver
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
To be honest... In first I was really impressed by this type of handles like Ross leidy.... They looks beautiful, but you have to sacrifice playing characteristics and do just simple wood blades, otherways you get very heavy blades even if the handle is hollow. And shiny polished grip is also bad when sweat strike from behind. But they look fine..... I'm trying now to handle deep color impregnation... But still I'm not good with it... Maybe someone here has some kind of experience..?

I agree Bobpuls, I put one very light coat of gloss varnish on the handle just to seal it but I try to keep the wood feel at all times. I made one that had 3 coats of varnish on the handle and my hand started to sweat. However, I would love to have the skill to make a blade like Ross Leidy's.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hi GinjaNinja,

Is there a specific purpose for the round pin on your handles?

It's mainly aesthetic. I used to be a professional guitarist and I guess it's a throwback to that as they are actually guitar fret inlays. Sometimes I don't sand them fully flat so that combination players can feel whether its their forehand/backhand side.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This one has been quite interesting as it's the first combination blade I've made. I worked closely with the player to get this combination how he wanted, he plays inverted forehand and long pips defence/passive on the backhand It is a ayous core with a forehand of ayous and mahogany, the backhand is two layers of willow. There is a noticeable difference in the feel and speed of each side. The willow is softer with a lower bounce. The forehand is allround plus speed and harder in feel. It's 5.4mm thick and 84g. The handle is walnut, ash and mahogany.

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I've always wanted a Nittaku Violin so I thought the easiest way was to make one! This is 5.5mm: Kiri - Ash - Ash at 87g. The handle is cherry, mahogany and Cerejeira. I've not tried it yet but bouncing a ball on it, i would suggest it's off- to off.
View attachment 13800

Nice! I've always wanted a Nittaku Violin too!
Please let us updated when you try out this blade!
It would be awesome if you could compare it to Violin or Nexy Lissom, if some of your friends had one of these two

Reactions: bobpuls and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Nice! I've always wanted a Nittaku Violin too!
Please let us updated when you try out this blade!
It would be awesome if you could compare it to Violin or Nexy Lissom, if some of your friends had one of these two

After a quick play with the robot I can say that the control is really good, speed is also good and there is a nice feel to it too. This is the first blade I've made with only 3mm of Kiri, usually i build with 3.5 to 4.2 so i was expecting this to lack power but it doesn't. All in all, I'm very happy with this. I'm playing later this week so I'll be able to give it a proper test then.