Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
... of course , you for one should know .. first fight with a stick and show that you deserve the sword :p
which came first, the chicken or the egg? you want me to play a match with a real sh blade, yet, i need to record a match to win a real sh blade?

LOL

This user has no status.
Played like crap on Saturday...just one of those days you feel off on everything you do. So i just mainly trained my serves with my coach. I may work on my shovel serves more because he said its pretty effective. Now something more to work on.

In my effort to lower my weight on my racket setup, i ordered the new OSP Ultimate II and it should be here in about 2 to 3 weeks. My present setup is 190 grams and hope to lower it down to 180 grams and this should do the trick.

One of the coaches at my club is sponsored by Joola and is using the new Joola Golden Tango, tacky topsheet with a fast sponge....He seems to like it but i may order 2.0 instead of Max so i can have a little more control, after all the coach is 2600 and he can definitely can control max . Seems to be heavily boosted because it has one of the loudest clicking sound i have heard from a rubber. Its also on sale at one of the asian sites, so i may order a sheet to try it out. And also MXP shrinks quite quickly and this has given me some issues.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
And also MXP shrinks quite quickly and this has given me some issues.

I'm not a true EJ, and only back into TT for a little over 2 years. However, I've found my MX-P has shrunk on the 2nd boosting. And it doesn't fit my blade anymore :(

Reactions: 42andbackpains
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GRADUATION!!

Very cool! Do you have plans yet on what you will do now that you are finished with school?

Thanks OSP! Yep, I will have a 3 weeks holiday before I start working in a hospital next year.

This user has no status.
posted some more of videos of me playing in the Asian Veteran championship thread

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-Asia-pacific-veteran-table-tennis-tournament

the 1st video is my win (good match)

the 2nd video is the 2nd set of my match against the Japanese guy, i lost 0-3 but i played ok and had my chances. the guy was nervous as well.

the 3rd video i play the same guy than on the 1st one, I played just after playing the guy from the 2nd video. The result is alas much different than in the 1st match. I'm way too nervous

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Want you all to take a trip down hypothetical lane with me.

Imagine in the next year or so, some young buck comes up in TT and totally revolutionizes the shakehand game with this new devastating semiller backhand. (Now stay with me. I told you this was hypothetical). His backhand is unstoppable and after a number of years, other pros are trying it. Amateur players are trying it and what's the verdict? It's widely regarded as vastly superior in terms of power, spin & speed compared to your standard shakehand backhand. Furthermore, it's so superior, the standard backhand becomes to be accepted as a weak spot in normal play.

What do you do and how do you do it?

Do you stick with "this is what I know and what i'm pretty good at so I'll ride this out to the best of my ability" approach?

Or do you attempt to learn this new skill.

If you do, what method would you use to keep yourself practicing & using this seemiller backhand vs what's engraved in your head with the standard backhand. I'm talking about the fast exchanges it comes to your backhand and you instinctively do what you'd always done which is the standard vs the semiller. On top of that, because it's a new skill to you, just practicing a simple counter rally, people might say you're better with your standard backhand as far as consistency but you all know the seemiller has more power & spin as stated above. How do you push through that mental hurdle and frustration?

Is there any other answer here other than a million reps with the seemiller?

Okay now that weird hypothetical time is over. In case you didn't pick up on the story above. That's how I explain what it'd be like for shakehanders as it is for penholders who grew up playing TPB trying to learn to use RPB full time.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Want you all to take a trip down hypothetical lane with me.

Imagine in the next year or so, some young buck comes up in TT and totally revolutionizes the shakehand game with this new devastating semiller backhand. (Now stay with me. I told you this was hypothetical). His backhand is unstoppable and after a number of years, other pros are trying it. Amateur players are trying it and what's the verdict? It's widely regarded as vastly superior in terms of power, spin & speed compared to your standard shakehand backhand. Furthermore, it's so superior, the standard backhand becomes to be accepted as a weak spot in normal play.

What do you do and how do you do it?

Do you stick with "this is what I know and what i'm pretty good at so I'll ride this out to the best of my ability" approach?

Or do you attempt to learn this new skill.

If you do, what method would you use to keep yourself practicing & using this seemiller backhand vs what's engraved in your head with the standard backhand. I'm talking about the fast exchanges it comes to your backhand and you instinctively do what you'd always done which is the standard vs the semiller. On top of that, because it's a new skill to you, just practicing a simple counter rally, people might say you're better with your standard backhand as far as consistency but you all know the seemiller has more power & spin as stated above. How do you push through that mental hurdle and frustration?

Is there any other answer here other than a million reps with the seemiller?

Okay now that weird hypothetical time is over. In case you didn't pick up on the story above. That's how I explain what it'd be like for shakehanders as it is for penholders who grew up playing TPB trying to learn to use RPB full time.

There is no need for using RPB full time. Ma Lin is the best example of a player using mostly his TPB but learned RPB too. He used TPB's best advantages, such as chopblocks, minimal weak spot at the middle etc. AND he covered the weaknesses of TPB with RPB, such as BH flick, spinny opening loops, off the table counters etc...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
ack, am now firewalled at work from this forum - chat forums no go :(

it's super late, just finished editing 30 mins raw video down to ~6 mins

wanted to play a match and try out in NextLevel's contest/giveaway, but i wasn't feeling it tonight, just hit, and got so in the moment of hitting and videoing my progress and didn't play matches.

as mentioned a few days ago, i was hitting well last week, perhaps because I was hitting with 2 ~2000+ players, i mixed in rpb, tpb, sh bh ... felt good but alas no video. tonight, hit with 2 players my level and another a few levels lower.

the video is what it is... excuses aside, my rpb is not a rounding stroke like i had back in april of this year.

0:00-1:11 PH FH (my fh is da sucky, 42andbackpains noted something wrong with it, it's been jedi mind tricking me... ttmonster thinks i block TOO much with tpb on my fh side as well as not work my fh, so i lost it.)

1:11-1:35 SH FH (fh is sucky too - but on sh, i worked on my bh way more than my fh)

1:35-1:52 - SH BH from my fh side (phone camera inside a locker, didn't want to stand on my bh side and block the camera)

1:52-2:16 TPB from my fh side

2:16-2:48 RPB from fh side (contrast this with below vid of my warmup with 42andbackpains - rounding stroke is mostly or all gone ... i'm RPB punching now or some i may be stroking)

2:48-3:04 - SH BH from fh side

3:04-4:24 PH FH loop - my loop, if you can call it that, is sucky... my fh is sucky ... anyway, mixed in short stroke, mostly topspin, with longer stroke sidespin loop

4:24-4:47 - TPB

4:47-5:03 RPB

5:03- 5:23 SH BH

5:23-5:42 back to RPB

5:42-5:57 back to SH BH

5:57-6:00 SH BH loop DON'T BLINK! my interpretation of NextLevel's whip mechanics/checkmark BH loop

6:00-6:15 RPB loop DON'T BLINK! my interpretation of NextLevel's whip mechanics/checkmark BH loop

https://vimeo.com/247098311

have at me!

Doh jeh Si-hing!

I will try to get video of my current SH BH and RPB next week ... here are old videos that I'm not sure if you have seen. This was about the time I started SH seriously to try to learn RPB. Using an American Hinoki 1 ply WRC 9mm with Tenergy 80-FX both sides ... hitting with DTT CCer 42andbackpains

https://vimeo.com/214625328

~1:34-2:22 is my RPB - back then it was a short rounding stroke... my current RPB is more of a punch or if longer stroke, i follow through straighter stroke but basically it's a straighter stroke now ...

I hit a few RPB just for the heck of it. We were playing at a mutual friend/brother's basement and they all laughed at my SH and trying out the RPB.

--------------

My partner P was a former modern PH, he couldn't get the RPB down, so he went to SH

https://vimeo.com/217129193

~1:20-4:20 is the SH BH ...

~4:20 - 5:40 is my TPB punch/push block - back then I didn't try the RPB all that much at my club when it's crowded - just concentrated on SH BH

--------------

K. working with me on RPB loop ... don't recall, probably my first serious drilling the RPB loop ... late at the club, not as much members, was able to keep the table for ourselves and drill. Forgive camera angles, placed it on the table next to ours.

Since this video, have added NextLevel's whip motion/checkmark motion on some of my RPB loops.

------------

Sometime after these videos, i took a few months off, shoulder acting up, driving lessons with my eldest daughter during the summer, etc.

Will be nice to capture on video my current SH BH and RPB for comments as well as documentation to see my progress

--------------

NOTE: For the SHers - since these 2 videos, i've slowly adjusted my index finger position to slightly more proper position.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
First of all thanks for making and sharing the video ... other than appreciating your enthusiasm it gives us a chance to be amateur and misleading coaches :p .. jk ... really thanks for sharing ...

Here are my 2 cents based on first impression ... request to more advanced players to correct anything I say here , because I don't want to mislead OSPH here ...

1. You are reaching out for the ball in your TPB and that action is probably affecting your form on your SH Backhand blocks.
I am not sure if the technique for TPB is correct because I don't play penhold , but I would assume that forward motion should be a little smaller and you should let the ball come in a little more ... yes there is a forward component to the SH block as well but in my opinion it should be smaller and more of a follow through rather than the elbow unhinging in the forward direction so much to meet the ball. If I were you I would not practice blocking with SH at this time and only play the check mark loop.
2. FH issue , not much to tell from the video unless you show us your entire form along with the legs . I had this feeling that you are not bending your knees enough and making it up with bending it from the back .. but can't say that unless we see more FH along with the entire form ... and then again this is common challenge for amateur adults ... the knee bending part I mean ...

ack, am now firewalled at work from this forum - chat forums no go :(

it's super late, just finished editing 30 mins raw video down to ~6 mins

wanted to play a match and try out in NextLevel's contest/giveaway, but i wasn't feeling it tonight, just hit, and got so in the moment of hitting and videoing my progress and didn't play matches.

as mentioned a few days ago, i was hitting well last week, perhaps because I was hitting with 2 ~2000+ players, i mixed in rpb, tpb, sh bh ... felt good but alas no video. tonight, hit with 2 players my level and another a few levels lower.

the video is what it is... excuses aside, my rpb is not a rounding stroke like i had back in april of this year.

0:00-1:11 PH FH (my fh is da sucky, 42andbackpains noted something wrong with it, it's been jedi mind tricking me... ttmonster thinks i block TOO much with tpb on my fh side as well as not work my fh, so i lost it.)

1:11-1:35 SH FH (fh is sucky too - but on sh, i worked on my bh way more than my fh)

1:35-1:52 - SH BH from my fh side (phone camera inside a locker, didn't want to stand on my bh side and block the camera)

1:52-2:16 TPB from my fh side

2:16-2:48 RPB from fh side (contrast this with below vid of my warmup with 42andbackpains - rounding stroke is mostly or all gone ... i'm RPB punching now or some i may be stroking)

2:48-3:04 - SH BH from fh side

3:04-4:24 PH FH loop - my loop, if you can call it that, is sucky... my fh is sucky ... anyway, mixed in short stroke, mostly topspin, with longer stroke sidespin loop

4:24-4:47 - TPB

4:47-5:03 RPB

5:03- 5:23 SH BH

5:23-5:42 back to RPB

5:42-5:57 back to SH BH

5:57-6:00 SH BH loop DON'T BLINK! my interpretation of NextLevel's whip mechanics/checkmark BH loop

6:00-6:15 RPB loop DON'T BLINK! my interpretation of NextLevel's whip mechanics/checkmark BH loop

https://vimeo.com/247098311

have at me!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Having never learnt fh looping properly, I need to work on it more ... that or the 30 plus years break, I forgot the form. Carl noted I was all arm, no core, legs ... 42abdbackpains too... I think I'm concentrating a lot on rpb and sh bh, that for now i'm not going to work on my fh looping

The elbow unhinging is all me and/shoulder... Carl noted that me elbow flared up on fh. And caused my shoulder pains... sometimes I'm too conscious of that and don't flow and miss shots

I know I have a lot of work to do, next week aiming to go to tt 2x a week... before summer I was going 2x to 3x regularly

Thx for feedback monster!!

And 6am you wake up and check into TTD ... DEDICATION!!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Following up on TT monster's feedback and your post.

FH:
I watched the video and I like your counter hitting. Watch the first minute of the video and I believe around 3:57 (where you're further back from the table) and i get the impression you could do that in your sleep.

But to me that's counter hitting and not necessarily looping from my prospective. I don't know. I have things in my game I'm working on but I generally play close to the table and I feel that when you play close to the table as a penholder, sometimes being able to counter hit & play angles helps more. Where as if I try to loop from right at the table, it's easy for me to send the ball long. But if I'm well off the table, looping feels more natural there.

So i guess I'm saying I like your FH stroke for on the table play and I've seen when you want to smack it, point over. But for looping? I prefer to practice that a little more off the table (don't know if you ever play off the table or not. I don't do it enough myself) where you use your body & rotation more. It's more spin. Maybe even more hook on soft loops. Would like to see a video where you're well off of the table and really trying to use your whole body to spin it up. I think it's worth a shot. Never know when you might discover something.

RPB:
Watching your play I think possibly helped me with something on my RPB (because I'm naturally a TPB guy also) that I'll post in the penholder forum.