Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Yesterday, my gf organised an early birthday celebration for me and she got me table tennis related presents! I think I am the luckiest bf ever :rolleyes:

present.jpg

Today I played tt today with a middle age uncle, and then I realized I need to work on my cardio more, because my stamina was so bad compared to him, probably because I had a busy year and have deconditioned. So I will try to get on the exercise bike more often at home to improve my cardio and hopefully that will strengthen my lower body too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Happy Early "Cow One" Si-hing!

Hope you understand 'cow one'!

Yesterday, my gf organised an early birthday celebration for me and she got me table tennis related presents! I think I am the luckiest bf ever :rolleyes:

View attachment 14817

Today I played tt today with a middle age uncle, and then I realized I need to work on my cardio more, because my stamina was so bad compared to him, probably because I had a busy year and have deconditioned. So I will try to get on the exercise bike more often at home to improve my cardio and hopefully that will strengthen my lower body too.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Played a 2100 penholder and he spotted me 4 points, early games were close and won in 5 games. The last game i beat him 11-3....confidence booster or was it momentum?

#OhMyGuoyuehua !!!

9 POINTS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Signature serve. I think most of us have a signature serve or go to serve. My signature serve is side down short to the middle or right side of the table. Opponents net the returns almost half the time. What is your signature serve?

Pendulum side-top (or pendulum side) will always be go-to serve. Now you and TTD CCers know, I may have to change my go-to LOLOLOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Signature serve. I think most of us have a signature serve or go to serve. My signature serve is side down short to the middle or right side of the table. Opponents net the returns almost half the time. What is your signature serve?

Oh I have three signature serves that catch people off guard. Two of them are down-the-line underspins that don't look like underspin. The third is a sidetopspin that looks like side-under. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
In the video below is an 81 year old chopper (He is about 1900-2000 now, his highest level in the current history was 2300-2400, may have been even higher when younger). Unfortunately, this was the only video I could get of him and he is playing another pips player so you may not appreciate how good he is. He beat a couple of guys I struggled with fairly easily and he had a 2200 looper in trouble after being down 0-2, he came back to 2-2 and lost in the 5th game. Of course, at his age, he gets tired easily, but those of you who go to the US Open will see him in the age events. I suspect he will play the Veterans next year as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznhHfked-U

Hey, is that Benjamin Zhang in the army shirt on the table next to theirs (table 56)?

EDIT: probably him
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Probably yes. I played him and lost as usual.

If you know how to deal with his no spin serves and counterloop, he's not too difficult to play.

However, since you're right handed, I see you'll have a harder time than I would. I usually beat him since I can easily backhand flip his serve and beat him early in the rally.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I heard its pretty small, approx. 6 tables ... if the place is full ( which it should not be at 1pm ) we can hop over to ICC ...

BTW .. keep me posted if your plan changes because of this .....

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Furbanleakdotcom%2Fvideos%2F1806837802945822%2F&show_text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Reminder to West Coast TTDers... 1PM gathering this Sunday at Ping Pong Dojo next to Santa Clara police station near N. Milpitas and Minnis Cir...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
About last night...

Started off hitting with P., my regular training partner. Lately I've been mostly blocking for him and he's been working his FH looping. He is about my skill level and we hit for 45 mins.

Older Chinese gentleman modern PH jumped on next. I hit with him for 30 mins. I've never seen him before, but P. knew him. This gentleman is easily 3 or more levels above me. I think I surprised him though with my steady blocking. When training, I generally don't try to kill the ball for the point... looking to be steady and return the shot. Think he appreciated that and with my steady blocking, he slowly amped up his FH loops. Wicked topspin with kick, with a little sidespin. He blocked for me and I FH looped. Working with the hinoki and tenergy, i know i should meet the ball sooner and shorten my stroke. Worked that a few mins, but my muscle memory is based on Chinese rubbers and the longer windup stroke. Got a few mins of those in. My loops may have surprised him with the sidespin kick on the longer strokes. For a modern PH, he had a good TPB "push-block"/"punch". I mixed in SH BH and RPB strokes and my TPB punch with him. Sat down for a break and P. hit with him. They hit for 30 mins.

My turn with the older gentleman again. This time he played SH chop and my looping wasn't consistent. I still don't have the controlled spinny opening loop. As 42andbackpains and a mutual friend/brother describes my looping, it's an AON (all or none)/DOD (do or die loop). I was conscious of my sucky inconsistent looping vs chopping and didn't want to waste his time picking up balls. I resorted to the long windup AON/DOD looping and was more consistent however, the looping coming at my partner was full-speed side/topspin. It was challenging for him to chop it back. With P, he sometimes ended up lobbing after 2 chops,, and I was thinking if he lobbed I would be OK smashing - zero mental baggage as I'm a flat-hitter, but if he kept chopping, i better make my loops and worth his time hitting with me.

Good sessions for him, P and me.

Hit with "Mommy" for 15 mins and afterwards she had to leave.

A Russian gentleman was sitting patiently throughout for his turn. It ended up I hit with him. Another player who was clearly 3 or more levels above me. I never hit with him before. He saw that I was able to steadily FH and BH block his FH loops. He, like the Chinese partner earlier, slowly amped up his loops. He has a kick on his loops too and a lot more sidespin. I then FH looped and I just let it loose, doing the 'no conscious thinking' and just flow as I looped. Natural expression of my FH loop due to muscle memory is the longer stroke. We then hit BH-BH... i surprised him when I started hitting SH BH steadily. He asked about the SH and I explained I was trying to learn the RPB so I hit SH from time to time. I then hit some RPB. Called it a night after 30 mins with him.

Am slowly getting used to the hinoki and tenergy on blocking. Some blocks are still flying off the table, but many blocks are returned with a low trajectory, barely clearing the net. Perhaps I'm adjusting too much for the tensor rubbers and closing my blade. On pushing, which I sometimes train with P. the balls are still being returned high. I don't have the 'touch' yet for short pushes with the tenergy. Also getting used to the 'pock' noise and vibration of the incoming hits. This was one of the biggest adjustments I had to make after my old favorite blade, "Excalibur" (DHS "08" - 7 ply) died and I started playing with other blades. Between the blade and the switch from Chinese rubbers/sponges, the sound and vibration was unsettling at times.

Sadly, I didn't video the sessions. Would have been nice to share with DTT CCers on my progress in my 'comeback' after 30+ yrs break. Had fun and greatly appreciate being able to hit with 2 partners above my skill level.

As always, thank you for reading my novel. May all the net and edge balls go your way!

Happy Friday!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks OSP!!

LOL I didn't get what it meant, then I googled and then only understood after thinking for a while. Very witty :)

Hong Kong slang LOL

For the others ... when writing out Happy Birthday in Chinese, the 'birth' character is made up of 2 characters - cow and one so Hong Kong slang says Happy Cow One.

LOLOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
About last night...

Sadly, I didn't video the sessions. Would have been nice to share with DTT CCers on my progress in my 'comeback' after 30+ yrs break. Had fun and greatly appreciate being able to hit with 2 partners above my skill level.

As always, thank you for reading my novel. May all the net and edge balls go your way!

Happy Friday!

Hey OSP, very nice update on your TT session as usual! I'm very interested in seeing your progress in your RPB, as you took the approach of learning it from a shakehand backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hey OSP, very nice update on your TT session as usual! I'm very interested in seeing your progress in your RPB, as you took the approach of learning it from a shakehand backhand.

Doh jeh Si-hing!

I will try to get video of my current SH BH and RPB next week ... here are old videos that I'm not sure if you have seen. This was about the time I started SH seriously to try to learn RPB. Using an American Hinoki 1 ply WRC 9mm with Tenergy 80-FX both sides ... hitting with DTT CCer 42andbackpains

https://vimeo.com/214625328

~1:34-2:22 is my RPB - back then it was a short rounding stroke... my current RPB is more of a punch or if longer stroke, i follow through straighter stroke but basically it's a straighter stroke now ...

I hit a few RPB just for the heck of it. We were playing at a mutual friend/brother's basement and they all laughed at my SH and trying out the RPB.

--------------

My partner P was a former modern PH, he couldn't get the RPB down, so he went to SH

https://vimeo.com/217129193

~1:20-4:20 is the SH BH ...

~4:20 - 5:40 is my TPB punch/push block - back then I didn't try the RPB all that much at my club when it's crowded - just concentrated on SH BH

--------------

K. working with me on RPB loop ... don't recall, probably my first serious drilling the RPB loop ... late at the club, not as much members, was able to keep the table for ourselves and drill. Forgive camera angles, placed it on the table next to ours.

Since this video, have added NextLevel's whip motion/checkmark motion on some of my RPB loops.

------------

Sometime after these videos, i took a few months off, shoulder acting up, driving lessons with my eldest daughter during the summer, etc.

Will be nice to capture on video my current SH BH and RPB for comments as well as documentation to see my progress

--------------

NOTE: For the SHers - since these 2 videos, i've slowly adjusted my index finger position to slightly more proper position.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today I gave up (shoot off nearly every ball) 3 out 4 league matches and brake my blade. I am happy that I at least was I was polite and could manage my anger during the actual matches. Tomorrow another deciding league match, and I need to stand up and do something with my nerves (I was both ill, stressed because of the upcoming exams and had serious family problems this week). And I have to buy a new blade, because I don't have anything to play with, just an allwood All blade.
Never happened such thing to me, something is very wrong these days.

Last edited: