Outer ALC users, why do you like your blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Um, obviously you can loop with even the stiffest blades. You can loop with Primorac Carbon even with little dwell time.
Yes so how much dwell time is required to loop? Can you even define what a loop is? What is required to do a proper "la qiu"

But having dwell time gives more control and feel for the ball, which is why Ma Long and Wang Chuqin and others chose the HL5 archetype.
How does dwell time give more control? It is the person that has control not the equipment. If I give my TB ALC to Timo Boll, does it suddenly gain control?

But obviously not everybody chooses the inner archetype. So for those who prefer the outer ALC, I'd like to hear about what they like about it.

But how much time is required to loop?
Someone that graduated from the top part of an ivy league college should be able to handle this.
You already showed you don't know that the ball is long gone by the time you feel it.
The blade might vibrate due to impact but it doesn't vibrate in the plane of the blade, there is simply too much material. So how does does the blade dwell time affect the tangential ( spinny ) motion if it doesn't bend in the plane of the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yes so how much dwell time is required to loop? Can you even define what a loop is? What is required to do a proper "la qiu"

How does dwell time give more control? It is the person that has control not the equipment. If I give my TB ALC to Timo Boll, does it suddenly gain control?

But how much time is required to loop?
Someone that graduated from the top part of an ivy league college should be able to handle this.
You already showed you don't know that the ball is long gone by the time you feel it.
The blade might vibrate due to impact but it doesn't vibrate in the plane of the blade, there is simply too much material. So how does does the blade dwell time affect the tangential ( spinny ) motion if it doesn't bend in the plane of the blade.
Ok. You are free to have your opinion.

My opinion is that the blade style and feeling does affect your ability and particularly your confidence in looping. Otherwise, Pros would not even bother switching blades (ML switched from Viscaria to HL5).

I'm not trying to change your opinion on this point. And you are unlikely to change my opinion on this point.

Reactions: jk1980 and Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Ok. You are free to have your opinion.

My opinion is that the blade style and feeling does affect your ability and particularly your confidence in looping. Otherwise, Pros would not even bother switching blades (ML switched from Viscaria to HL5).

I'm not trying to change your opinion on this point. And you are unlikely to change my opinion on this point.

Having confidence is one thing. What really happens is another. I would rather have confidence in what is really happening. Opinions and feelings don't matter.

Would you fly on an airplane that was designed with feelings and opinions?

You still haven't answered my question about having enough dwell time to loop. USDC assured me you know the answer.

No one has answer my questions above in #61.
BTW, in China they call that the 61st floor and the OP is the landlord.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I already answered your question. You can loop with anything. If you glue a rubber to a brick you could loop if you can generate enough acceleration and if you have the perfect technique.

It's not a yes or no binary questions. You can loop with even the tiniest dwell time. But your margin of error would be smaller. With more dwell time, you give yourself a little more control and margin for error.

But again, this is just my opinion. I think many people share the same basic thinking. But you are free to have a different thinking.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi Michael- I have a viscaria blade. I use a tenergy 05 on the forehand and tenergy 19 on my backahnd. been using this set up for about a year now. My forehand loop is my strongest and most deadly shot. I also practice this shot nearly every day on my robot and at my club. Many of my opponents, even much higher level opponents have noted how much quality comes off my forehand loop. hope that helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I already answered your question. You can loop with anything. If you glue a rubber to a brick you could loop if you can generate enough acceleration and if you have the perfect technique.It's not a yes or no binary questions. You can loop with even the tiniest dwell time. But your margin of error would be smaller. With more dwell time, you give yourself a little more control and margin for error.But again, this is just my opinion. I think many people share the same basic thinking. But you are free to have a different thinking.

I think that is the point.

Pros can loop with a hard blade and hard sponge because they are extremely precise in their motions as they are highly talented, have great technique and footwork and play 30 hours a week (match plus training).

Lower level players will have more variability in their stroke, timing, bat angle and spin reading so a softer sponge and bat will give them more margin for error.I foolishly started with an alc blade (yinhe blade) and hard rubber and occasionally I would make an amazing shot but not very consistent. Then I went back to relearn with 5 ply blade and slow Gewo rubber and I'm still kinda bad but I'm getting a bit more consistent.

​​​​​​I also feel that setup makes me more powerful even though it's slower because I dare to loop more often.But if you are really good of course maybe you can use the extra power of the carbon blade and still be consistent.

Last edited: